hormones (female reader)

The weekend finds the two of them sprawled out on the sofa, mugs of tea cooling beside them, a hot water bottle each pressed to their stomachs.

"Surely, we're approaching the time when this will not be happening anymore." Y/n grumbles.

"I thought I was already there a couple years back, when I skipped a few months. Doctor just put it down to stress." Danielle lets out a laugh, as if the stress ever went away. Well, maybe now. At least a little.

"When I was late this month, I thought the same thing. It was apparently just synchronizing with yours."

"I assumed it was a myth."

"What's the alternate explanation?"

Danielle bursts out laughing. "Don't you think we'd have synchronized by now if we were going to? Is it true that we'll be spending so much more time together?" She inquires, implying that, romantically linked or not, the two of them have always spent the majority of their time together since pre-kindergarten.

"Well, we're spending the majority of our nights together now, so, absolutely."

"Hm." Danielle thinks about it and nods. "I suppose you're correct." She then shifts closer to Y/n, her head resting on her chest.

They're silent for a bit as Y/n strokes her hair and kisses the top of her head.

Until.

"Dan, you've got to get off me, baby."

Danielle raises her eyes to her. "Are you serious?"

"When did it get so goddamned hot in here? I'm fucking dying, when did it get so goddamned hot in here?"

"Lovey, you're clutching a hot water bottle."

"Because I'm going to die if I don't have it!" Y/n whines, enraged that Danielle isn't more accepting of her irrationality.

"I understand you're dying, but that's why it's so hot in here!"

"I'd be less hot if you could just, move a smidge on over there."

"Oh, fine, I see how it is." Danielle says, exaggerating her tone as she shuffles back to her former position, giving Y/n the cold shoulder.

"No, wait. Come back."

Danielle smiles, a small expression of disbelief on her face. "Are you serious?"

"Yes." Y/n responds with a strained tone. "I'm in desperate need of a hug."

"You're such a baby."

"When I'm like this, you're not permitted to be cruel to me."

"In case you hadn't noticed, we're in the same boat here, which means I'm in it as well." She tells her, a pleased expression on her face.

"How come you're not as grumpy?" Y/n asks, switching out her hot water bottle in favor of Danielle's warmth pressed against her, her head resting perfectly in the crook of her neck.

"This morning I was irritated. I screamed at you because you left a spoon in the sink."

"I used that spoon to stir your tea."

"See. Cranky," she whispers quietly, caressing Yn's tummy under her shirt.

"I accept your apology."

"I didn't apologise."

"Fine, that's the last time I make your tea." She lies.

There's more silence. Danielle is on the verge of falling asleep.

Until.

"Why the FUCK am I so uncomfortable?"

"Christ, Y/n."

"Sorry." She huffs.

Danielle keeps tracing patterns on her stomach, getting closer to her heart. She raises her head and kisses Y/n on the chin. She leans up on one elbow and adds, "You know... we could always .." Her brows are raised.

"You really want to deal with what a mess that could be?"

"We could keep our clothes on." She says it as if it were the most self-evident thing in the universe.

For a few moments, Y/n thinks about it. "All right, fine."

"Okay." Danielle exclaims excitedly, arranging herself such that one leg is on either side of Y/n's thigh and her knee is pressed between Y/n's legs.

They start moving against each other and soon settle into a rhythm, Danielle's hand delicately touching the flesh of Y/n's breasts.

Danielle buries her face in Y/n's neck tenderly kissing and nibbling.

"Oh my God, I didn't tell you about this absolute dickswab at work yesterday, new guy, thinking he's all high and fuckin'-"

"Hey." Danielle whispers into her neck.

"Y/n/n,"

"Hey."

"What?"

"You wanna tell me about that later?" She breathes.

"Oh, right, sorry."

They continue. But Y/n is clearly too distracted, so Danielle stops.

"What? Why'd you stop?" Mare asks.

"Sorry if watching you stare off into space isn't exactly getting me off."

"I'm sorry." Y/n tells her, looking apologetic and almost like she might cry.

Fuck hormones, she thinks, absolutely not about to let that actually happen.

"It's fine." Danielle lets out a giggle at her mess of a girlfriend. Her fucking adorable mess of a girlfriend. She slumps back down, snaking her arms around Y/n's waist. "Is there anything you actually do want?"

Y/n takes a deep breath in. "I'm going to take a nap."

Danielle sighs, deciding not to mention the fact that she would have realized this five minutes ago, when she was almost asleep. "That sounds perfect."

"And a cup of tea. Oh, my goodness, the tea!" She exclaims, recalling the mugs they'd been letting to cool on the coffee table immediately next them. "Fuckin' wonderful, now they're cold."

"Just close your eyes and I'll make more later."

Y/n lets out a sigh. "Fine."

Then, a few seconds later, she exaggeratedly sighs once more.

When Danielle still doesn't respond, she lets out another, this time accompanied by a desperate whine.

"Fine!" Danielle jumps up from her seat on the couch almost instantly.

"I love you so much."

"Fuck you."

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me!" She calls, as Danielle enters the kitchen.

"And don't you forget it!"

Danielle returns from the kitchen five minutes later, a new mug of boiling hot tea in her hand, and as she places it on the coffee table, she finds herself muttering, unbelievable. She returns to her seat on the sofa, nestling into Y/n and feeling the soft rise and fall of her chest as she sleeps, slowly and without making any sudden movements.

Danielle lets out a tired sigh, closing her eyes, before whispering, "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me too."