37

it was becoming increasingly clear to yoon that hyuck was incredibly different compared to jeno

for starters, the boy did things pretty leisurely for someone his age. he was especially fond of taking his time; with every step, every bite, and every glance.

unlike the masculine scent of jeno's cologne yoonmi had been so used to, haechan smelled more like a mix of fresh laundry and vanilla scented body wash.

"okay, i can't pretend not to notice anymore," the boy suddenly sighed, setting down his menu and looking at yoonmi. "you've been looking at me strange since the claw machine. is it about the stalking thing? because i swear i was just kidd-,"

"no, no, i don't actually think you followed me, hyuck," she sighed, sitting back in her seat and folding her arms.

"my aunt," hyuck began, reaching for a fry, "she lives around here and for some reason you always happen to be outside when i'm heading home."

yoonmi chuckled at his confused tone. "i like walking at night, it helps me clear my head."

"is that why you were out earlier?"

"mhmm," she nodded, picking at the thin plastic table covering with her nails. "i was just thinking about stuff and then i saw that rigged claw machine." her fingers curled into a fist at the thought of all the money she'd wasted earlier.

hyuck snorted. "how's it rigged if i won on my second try?" he asked, gesturing to the stuffed bear sitting in the seat beside him.

yoonmi grinned softly at the sight of the toy, releasing her balled fist. "i wonder what to name it."

"i won it, i should name it." the boy argued, holding the pink doll before him and looking over it as if searching for a fitting name.

"okay, fine. go ahead. but if it's bad, i'm changing it." yoon announced, leaning back in her seat.

he pouted his lips in thought. "i'll figure something out by the end of this week," he concluded, "there's too many good options."

they finished their meals, chattering throughout. hyuck told her about his aunt who lived in the building besides hers. she was a single mother, and hyuck was quite fond of his baby cousin, thus why he visited every week.

yoonmi found it rather sweet, and grew more curious about the boy every time he revealed something new about himself. it was interesting, she thought, to see just how different he was to how she originally viewed him.