Chapter 2 - The First Mission

"I'll be fine Mother."

"I'm just making sure your sure! If your not you can always stay here with me. Where it's safe."

"I'll be with Big Brother Mike. Nanaba and Gelgar are there too. Don't worry, I'll stay safe and listen to them."

You always found some way to amaze your Mother, and right now it was with how mature and reasonable you sounded, especially since this will be your first time going out with some of the Scouts on a mission into Titan territory. And it wasn't even with her!

"It's just a quick and easy recon mission Hange, we'd never do anything to get (Y/N) here into trouble."

Nanaba smiled, walking up to Hange and patting the taller woman's shoulder as she worried like any mother would for their child's safety. She was already outfitted with her harness, ODM Gear, Blades and Gas refilled and stocked up. The Scouts signature cloak wrapped around her shoulders. That isn't to say that Nanaba wasn't concerned for your sudden want to go out into the world with them, but she was confident in herself and her comrades ability to look after you, even to protect you if things escalated.

Gelgar walked up, outfitted the in the same getup as his fellow squad member and smiling widely as he rubbed your head affectionately.

"Yeah, as if we'd ever let a dumbass Titan come anywhere near the kid."

You got pretty used to the occasional swear in the Survey Corps, it didn't happen often but they did happen every now and then. Though Hange, or in this case Nanaba who was now smacking Gelgar upside the head, was often scolding the soldier who swore in your presence. They didn't want you growing up too fast now, especially since you seem to be catching up to them in age all but physically.

"Agreed, they'll be safe."

Mike nodded, walking up after Gelgar and crossing his arms across his broad chest as you were quick to climb up a crate and sit straight up next to your Big Brother. This made him smirk slightly, unfolding his arms and patting your head.

"...Mmm...Ok fine, but you better stay close and listen to them (Y/N)!"

"Understood Mother."

You chuckled, nodding your head at her worry, you understood all too well that it was dangerous out there but you needed to get a new change of scenery. You loved it here, you loved your large family, but you had to eventually see what else there was that you were missing out on.

You'd be lying though if you said it wasn't because of that dream. It had stuck with you ever since that night, refusing to go away, like a fly that didn't want to leave you alone. But what stuck out the most wasn't the feeling of being big, it wasn't those strange beacons, the tall and long limbed creatures or the infinite abyss.

It was the feeling of flying. Of being free so high up in the sky where nobody could touch you.

The yearning to explore outside of the Survey Corps was too big to stifle anymore, and it took a lot of begging and pleading to Mother and Uncle Erwin, but they eventually had to yield on the one condition it was of very low risk. You took it, anything to get out there.

Speaking of Uncle Erwin, you spied him approaching your small group with his default expression, eyes trained on you as he came to a stop beside Hange.