Chapter 3 - Recruits from The Underground

"Why is he so small?"

You were staring down at the courtyard, watching three people who you weren't familiar with standing in a salute.

One was a young woman with green eyes and red-brown hair which she kept in two pigtails. The other, a young man with light gray eyes and ash blond hair. They both wore the traditional Scouts uniform, but again, you couldn't place them. They must be new recruits, but from what your Uncle Erwin said during one of your many lessons, the latest cadet corps had yet to even graduate. So that can't be it.

But even then your attention wasn't on the two, it was on the one shorter man, his eyes were so defiant and fiery, yet his face was empty. Not like Mike or Erwin's expressions, this one is was completely blank.

He has short and straight black hair, as well as narrow, intimidating dull gray eyes with dark circles under them and a youthful face.

You let your gaze wander further down slightly, catching sight of your family all lined up and watching the new arrivals like you were. Mother, Moblit, Uncle Erwin, Brother Mike and the rest.

As your eyes landed on Mike, your mind drifted to the day, weeks ago, that you got back to base and he proceeded to explain what had happened. Needless to say, Mother was seething with rage and worry, you lost count of how many times she slapped him while screaming that what he did was reckless and stupid. The whole time just standing there and taking it.

Shaking your head you looked back up to the small stage where the three stood, being all but ordered to state their names to the rest of the Corps.

The small man leaned away, if only an inch or two, as he lifted his head towards Uncle Erwin before he spoke in a even and almost practiced tone.

"The names Levi."

This was met with many curious whispers and sounds from within the ranks of the Survey Corps, especially from your Mother you noticed as she leaned forward slightly.

"Levi...the first thing you'll need is some goddamn discipline! Next!"

"Hmm...Levi..."

The name sounded a little strange rolling off your tongue, but there was also something else. An static charge that was carried along with that name and made your tail twitch. This man was dangerous, no two ways about it, but there was something else.

Next up to the stand was the girl, bouncing forward in barely contained excitement with a grin to match, which was always refreshing to see but again it was weird considering the fact their even here at all.

"I'm Isabel Magnolia! Nice to meetcha!"

The other young man seemed rather relaxed, seemingly aloof about this all and even letting a smile show.

"My name is, Farlan Church."

With everyone hawking it took a moment for the Scout introducing them to gather their attention once more, looking down at another man in the crowd. He had short blonde hair that was parted in the middle, a beard patch on his chin and looking surprised as he was singled out.

"Flagon, these three will be assigned to your squad. Look after them."

"M-my Squad sir?"