Chapter 10 - Retribution

"Over here!"

"Where?! Olivia I can't see-GHAAA?!!"

"LISA!"

They weren't prepared, not even close, the numerous men and women that charged into that cursed valley filled with fog were being ripped apart by a singular monster.

Their screams were enough of a signal for their location, but the smell of spilled blood, the echoing crunch of bones and gristly gnawing was a haunting enough beacon on it own to your precise hearing.

That Abnormal, it attacked from the rear flank, having circled around and being quick when it chose, often at the most annoying of times. It only served to piss you off even further though, wings carrying your midnight body across the abysmal raining skies, casting a long shadow to the ground below...

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Levi rode ahead, eyes focused forward with an intense glare into the surrounding fog, something felt off. Something felt wrong.

Suddenly an ear piercing roar filled the low valley, the horse shaking its head and snorting, slamming its hooves into the muddy ground and throwing its body around in distress.

And he wasn't fairing any better.

Never before had he heard a sound like that, so loud and clear but holding so much rage it almost made him cry.

Isabel came to a stop beside him, Farlan beside her, both gritting their teeth and turning their heads in anguish. Levi, once recovered from the ear splitting cry turned forward to see why they averted their eyes so.

And some small part of him wished he didn't.

The bodies of several scouts lie before them, torn apart and flattened into the earth.

Cliff...Yasmin...Philip...

Walter was propped up against a tree, missing half his body.

And Carol was almost unrecognisable, mashed to totally with her horse into the muddy earth.

"God...I-I'm gonn-"

Isabel hurriedly turned her body sideways, making no effort to stop the burning bile from travelling up her throat, wetly splashing on the ground, gagging all the while. Farlan grimaced as the sound and smell of his friends breakfast permeated through the air.

Levi tightened his already screwed shut jaw, swallowing his own vomit that threatened to rise up and burn his throat like Isabel.

He opened up his mouth to speak, only for the air to be stolen from his lungs as a shadow passed over them, two pairs of eyes snapping upward and barely catching the end of a large dim shadow sailing through the air above them.

"Is that-?"

"Yes."

"Go! I'll stay with Isabel!"

Levi needed no more encouragement, effortlessly snapping his steed to attention and urging it forwards.

He hesitated, a chill beginning to crawl up his spine as he sped through the densely packed fog.