Chapter 5 - Growing

No joke, I was 100% about to name this chapter How To Train Your Dragon. I thought it'd be for a good laugh, then I thought to myself "Don't be a bloody galah!"

Also, please point out any misspellings or errors in my writing! I'd greatly appreciate it, I've noticed a few times while I wrote this and even reviewing prior chapters that I misspelled a few times and wrote some gendered pronouns in. It might not be anything big, but I want to become a better writer so I refuse to allow even small blemishes.

Especially if things don't make sense! I'm writing this at 4:51 AM currently so...yeah.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

How long has it been since you first lifted up off the ground? Eight weeks or so? Feels much longer with how intense these new training drills mother made for you are, more so then ever since you've come a decently long way in your flight capabilities since then. Not quite enough to compete with the ODM Gear, but you'd work up to that point. Your wings got that cramped and tensed up feeling again, like your muscles and bones were shrinking and then expanding rapidly, it's been happening more and more lately with these damn random pains and flares of uncomfortable heat that rock your body and occasionally screw with you during training.

You gave a sigh, stretching out widely on the top of one of the window sills, breathing in the fresh cool afternoon air and basking in the low hanging orange sun that was nice to watching before it faded away to give way to the night. Simply replacing as the uncomfortable feeling in your wings faded naturally. Looking up you admired the bright purple and orange sky. The transition from light to dark was always so pleasant to you, it felt calming almost, granting you the same familiar feeling like the infinite abyss did in your dreams a few months back.

Footfalls grabbed your attention though, a quick look down below allowing you to see Uncle Erwin walking across the empty courtyard, his face strangely hard and more cold then it normally was. But you knew him, that simply meant he was either tired, Mother bored him with her tirades or he was discussing something that should be a secret. You knew that there was secrets you didn't know about, like the key to the officers pantry, Mothers sensitive research notes or how you were still remaining a well hidden secret from the public and the other Corps...but most of the secrets they kept from you was that your family don't always return from a mission beyond the walls...

It's true, you knew that it was a possibility that came with their duty. But that doesn't mean it never hurts less to see them leave and return with barely half their number each time. You'll always remember their names though, and how you'll keep them close. They were your family after all.

Another set of steps broke your deep and upsetting train of thought as you looked up again and froze at the sight of Levi walking along the same path as Erwin, just as stone faced yet unlike your Uncle you couldn't tell what this man was thinking or how he felt.

You could feel your body tense up and your wings slowly spread open instinctively, you felt off when the two were in the same room together much less alone, you didn't trust him after that spat about the scouts not being your 'true family'.

They walked closer to each other, neither one seemingly acknowledging the other, yet you felt so on edge your claws dug deeply into the wooden sill of the window, cracking it.

Your eyes were locked onto the shorter man, barely blinking and only breathing in shallow breaths as your heart hammered in your chest. Then they passed each other, and went on their way.