Chapter 9 - Part 2 - The First Promise

Somethings wrong.

You turned your massive head, slow and deliberate, scanning through the thick fog with a pang of pain deep in your chest.

The Titan was here a second ago, crawling on its hand and knees, it shouldn't have gotten away so quick. Even trying to smell it out is harder then usual, your nose is still far too sensitive after the sudden and very painful transition from your significantly smaller body.

That, and the scent of humans is thick, and there's only one group of people who'd be foolhardy enough to charge into the Titan filled landscape to find you.

You can even smell you Mother, clear as can be, standing out amongst the other scouts and their mounts.

But not yet, she can't, you might still be dangerous and now there's a rouge Titan lurking around.

You walked further a bit more, wings folded tightly to your back, head on a constant swivel but it was still a struggle to find this damn thing. The ground allowed some clues, handprints and deep indentations for the knees, but they were being washed away by the downpour. And quick.

Dammit why didn't you just kill that thing?! Countless others and yet you let that one live
What if it hurts them?! What if it ki-...

No. They can handle it, it's just one Titan right? Besides, if they're all here then maybe Erwin, Mike and Levi can handle this.

Right?

Yet somehow you couldn't let your mind settle, thoughts racing and heart beating far too fast. Panic was setting in, and regardless of your previous thoughts you continued to try and follow the rapidly shifting and disappearing path the Titan had set.

But maybe you could focus on something else, you tried your nose and your eyes, but perhaps that hearing of yours could come into action.

But...

...

Screams?

The sinking pit in your gut grew tenfold, the cries and angry yells seemingly piercing your head as it felt like your heart stopped beating for just a second. And in the same second, the screams ceased.

But you knew where they came from, the ground seemingly shaking as you ran, ramming trees over as they bounced harmlessly off your scaled hide.

Conclusions, none happy, sprouted in your mind all at once, all screaming that their gone and to turn away before you see something you don't want too.

And as you ploughed through the last line of trees, a part of you wishes you followed that inward advice.

...

...

No...

No.

No!

NO!

...Please no...

...Dennis, Hans, Sahra...Ada, Wilhelm, Elli...

They're everywhere...

Yosefine's head is over there.

Ralph and Vincent are mashed together against that rock.

Half of Rebecca is holding a flattened Zoey.

Wendy and Nicola are missing their heads and arms.

And there's Tia, or her cape at least. The beautiful embroidery she loved to do is soiled now because of the blood.

How? Why?

No normal Titan can do this! How can-?!

~_~_~_~_~_~

"What is an...Abnormal?"

"Ah! Abnormal's are special Titans (Y/N), some of them are quick and agile enough to keep up with us, even on horses! And some, are like normal Titans in their movement. But they all share one thing!"

Mother turned the next few pages entirely, reaching further towards the middle of the book she brought and showing off the pages.

"They act erratically and without any real objective. They'll actively seek far away targets, disrupt any of our movements, attack specific people and many more things."

~_~_~_~_~_~

"Abnormal..."

That was no normal Titan, you let an Abnormal live, and now it's out here killing everyone...

"I'm sorry...I didn't know..."

You put your family in grave danger, and with this fog combating such a foe is a death sentence, one some have already found out.

...No more running. You can control this, this evil inside you, and keep your family safe from these Titan's! Seeing them like this hurts but it also makes you feel stronger, the vow you're making creating a deeper bond and giving you power.

Already you can feel rejuvenated, the weariness of fatigue, slaughter and now the heart ache of this scene and revelation only strengthening the determination you feel brewing deep inside.

You extended both your senses and wings, already hearing talking, hoofbeats, and calls for your name. But you ignored them all, save for the thundering stomps and clawed up dirt.

You allowed a sinister thought of pain and misery you'd bestow upon that sack of meat, before springing into the air and ascending with heavy strokes from your wings. All but clearing the fog away with a few might beats, leaving a empty clearing and a shadow in the sky.

The echo of a roar, angry and filled with vengeance vibrating throughout the land.