Chapter 14

"Easy Breeze, easy!" Violet and Kat called in unison as they dropped the ramp of the lorry. They were in the parking field of Larkrise Court, amongst the tens of horse boxes and lorries. Breeze hadn't been to a fun ride before and she was keenly eyeing up the world over the partition.
"Violet take Breeze, Laura you can grab Mattie and they can be tied on that side of the box." Kat pointed to one side, "Lyssa you can take Summer, Carla grab Fiesta and then I'll take Diamond down."
"So just take our mounts, right?" Laura grinned cheekily as Violet hiked up the ramp and began to unfasten Breeze. The chestnut mare looked around eagerly as the partition swung open and Violet led her down the ramp. Violet held her still at the bottom of the ramp for a moment before moving out of the way sharpish as Mattie emerged. The mother and daughter pair looked quite similar side by side, Breeze standing half a hand high due to her longer legs but otherwise they shared a remarkable amount of similarity. Summer walked down with good manners barely glancing around and he was tied up in preparation for his hay-net. Carla was next, she stepped under the barrier and slipped a lead-line onto Fiesta's halter.
"Bear in mind that she hasn't left the stud for the past three years, she might give a few dances." Kat warned as the partition swung open. They needn't have worried, Fiesta walked down calmly but looked slightly surprised at being tied to the truck, she was used to being taken to the stables in preparation for racing or for sleeping.
"Nice horses." One rider commented, trotting past on a massive skewbald hunter.
"Thanks." Kat called, appearing with Diamond. The black mare huffed and trotted down, tugging Kat behind her. Carla didn't stop to admire the mare though, she started unwrapping Fiesta's delicate legs and rewrapping them with Clarendon boots and slipping on the overreach boots. Next she slipped off the sweat sheet and slipped the saddle into place, darting around to fix the breastplate in place. Gina came over, lifting the hooves one at a time to fix the studs into Fiesta's shoes, these studs would prevent her slipping on any of the wet grass. Carla slipped Fiesta's bridle on then headed back into the living space to put on her equipment. There were five armbands on the table, one for each girl with their medical and emergency contact details in. Carla found hers and slipped it on then put on her body protector and helmet, grabbing her gloves and lacing up her chaps.
"Have you seen my green ribbon?" Violet came in to grab her armband.
"Green ribbon?"
"To warn people Breeze is a novice." Violet rummaged, "Found it."
"Do you think I'll need a ribbon for Fiesta?" Carla asked, "She's never done this before..."
"I'd stick one on in case, means you won't have someone breathing up your backside." Violet handed over a ribbon. Kat appeared at the door, wearing her cross country colours and spotless white jods.
"Is that my armband?" She asked, she caught sight of the ribbons, "You might want to stick one on Fiesta-"
"We've already covered that." Violet told her, "Breeze has one too."
"Good." Kat slipped on her body protector and helmet, her helmet was just plain black today without her helmet silks, keeping it casual. Laura and Lyssa also picked up their armbands and with a final check the riders agreed they were ready to mount up. Kat was the last to mount she held Breeze and Fiesta still as Carla and Violet mounted. With all five riders mounted they headed to sign in to the fields, ready for the ten mile trip around.

Once signed in they began to warm up their horses a little. They did a couple of circles at a trot, alternating reins and, Carla and Violet in particular, checked their steering. Finally, they felt ready to go.
"Stick in pairs if we can, Carla, Lyssa, Violet have the speed horses so you guys can stick together if we split. Laura and I can go together." Kat was undoubtedly the organiser as she gave her girth one last check.
"Let's go." Violet grinned, there were still only a few riders out in the field, a few people were having there breakfast picnics before tacking up. Kat grinned and with a silent countdown, Diamond and Breeze took off at their rider's urging. Violet and Kat went instantly into the two point position whilst the other three were briefly left behind as their horses took after the others. Breeze, overexcited and young, kicked up her heels in several bucks. Violet didn't budge in the saddle, it was always assumed that of the Forest-Kingsley Oakes rivalry it was Violet who was the weaker rider but Carla could see that Violet had every ounce as much talent as Kat. The five horses quickly assembled an order. Kat pressed Diamond forward and Laura, another full on rider, kept right with her; Mattie made the most compatible companion for Diamond with her dark colouring. Breeze was galloping just behind, checked by Violet. Lyssa held back Summer, not being the most confident of riders, and Carla held back Fiesta as well. The mare thought she was back in the racing world and kept pulling at the reins, champing at the bit and her head was held high in the air.
"First jump!" Kat called as they cantered up to a wide brush fence, barely two and a half feet tall, Carla pulled Fiesta out so they weren't going to run into a refusing horse. The hedge was easily wide enough for five horses to jump in a row and as they were ranked, the jump shouldn't cause problems. Diamond and Mattie went over with a flick of their heels, Summer also jumped neatly. Breeze skidded to a halt just before it and dithered for a moment before cat leaping it from a standstill. Fiesta's ears flicked up in surprise at the appearance of the fence, she slowed her stride apprehensively but hopped it inelegantly.
"Good girl." Carla gave the mare a slappy pat and Fiesta gave a cheerful half buck. Carla loosened the reins a touch and Fiesta caught up with Breeze, running side by side. The next fence was much the same only this time neither Breeze or Fiesta had any apprehensions.
"There's steps ahead!" Kat called back, she checked Diamond to a shorter canter. The black mare leapt athetically up the four steps, taking a stride on each. Fiesta eyed the steps dubiously, slowling to a dawdling trot then a halt.
"Come on," Carla nudged the mare on with her heels, "Be brave." Fiesta didn't jump but lifted her front feet up. Once she'd discovered that the ground was firmed she hopped up, leaping the remaining free happily.
"Well done." Kat called, she'd paused at the top, "There's another hedge coming up and then there's a water complex, just to warn you."
"She'll be fine." Carla shrugged, "Where are the others?"
"Breeze has no breaks, we said we'd meet up at the two mile mark."
"Cool." Carla nudged Fiesta on, "Let's go!"

Diamond and Fiesta galloped side by side up the hill and over the brow, flying over the hedges. Kat sat back and tightened her hold on Diamond as the water complex came into sight. It was a double ended complex with an optional jump in the middle of the massive pond. Diamond's ears pricked up and Kat tightened the grip a little more to steady the mare. Diamond's natural pacing began to come into effect but at nodded for Carla go first, admiring the sturdy seat of the girl, it wasn't quite the elegance that Kat had worked so hard to achieve but it was definitely functional.
"Go Fiesta!" She yelled as the mare splashed through the water complex with gusto, avoiding the middle jump by Carla's choice. Kat nudged on Diamond and the mare bounded into a canter, she was coiled up like a spring and he bouncy stride covered the ground easily and she flicked her tail as she jumped it and headed for the next, the water splashed up against Kat's legs, a couple of droplets flicking her face and arms. Kat aimed the mare at the row of ducks in the middle and Diamond hopped it easily.
"Good girl!" Kat praised and she dropped a slappy pat on her black neck as the mare headed for the step out of the pond. Diamond jumped up onto the hard ground and Carla, who had stopped to wait, pushed Fiesta forward into a gallop to join the black mare in a cool off gallop. Kat pushed forward once more, Diamond's fast gallop was sweeping the water droplets off her ebony flanks, and Kat was enjoying the feeling of the secure, if somewhat cumbersome, jumping saddle beneath her.
"Go Di, go!" Kat called as she saw the others in the distance, Diamond opened up into top gear but Fiesta, the fully blooded racehorse, opened up herself and passed Diamond in a matter of strides. The two riders pulled up their horses, wet with a mixture of sweat and pond water, and joined the three other horses. Breeze was twisting and stamping, wanting to get running, whilst the others, whilst riled up, stood relatively quietly.
"How's it going?" Violet asked as Kat pulled up, pulling her water bottle from her bottle holder.
"Pretty good, this mare is having fun." Kat slipped the water bottle back into the holder, "Shall we press on?"
"Let's."

Diamond was hot and tired by the time they finished. They had blasted the last mile at full pelt, pulling up their horses dark with sweat and with white streaks down their neck and shoulders.
"Well done ladies," One of the officials handed them their rosettes that had the name of the fun ride on it, "Lovely mares."
"Thanks." Kat took the rosette as she kicked her feet out of the stirrups and let Diamond have her head to cool off. Diamond jogged at first but once Kat took her away from the others she walked quietly, her heaving rib cage gradually slowing.
"Hello Catherine," Kat glanced across the grass and saw a slender woman in a tweed gillet and pearls in her ears heading her way.
"Mrs Mockingwood," Kat inclined her head slightly but didn't slow Diamond. Mrs Mockingwood wasn't deterred, she placed a hand on Diamond's shoulder, Diamond flattened her ears in response but Mrs Mockingwood remained.
"That mare still looks good over the fences."
"I'm surprised you're here,are you riding?" Kat asked politely.
"No, I came to watch you. That mare can still jump."
"How did you know I'd be here?"
"I told Laura about this. She doesn't have a horse of her own so I presumed she would borrow off you ergo, you would be here."
"Very cunning." Kat nodded and halted Diamond, glancing at the mare's flanks. Satisfied she nudged the mare through the gap in the tape.
"I will take that as a compliment." Mrs Mockingwood took hold Diamond's reins as Kat dismounted, loosened the girth and ran up her stirrups.
"You shouldn't." Kat replied bluntly, "What can I do for you then?"
"I would like to know when you will return to where your true talent lies?" Mrs Mockingwood handed Diamond's reins back, "These mares are too talented to go to waste."
"That's why I've employed a new rider for them."
"She's not good enough." Mrs Mockingwood replied, "I put a lot of time into teaching you, carrying on what your mother started. Racehorses don't need your finesse Catherine but these horses do. Eventing is where your heart lies, they've just coerced you into thinking otherwise."
"That's rubbish." Kat replied, "I want to ride racehorses, I don't want to do dressage I just want to run."
"Are you sure Catherine?" Mrs Mockingwood raised one eyebrow, "Racing is a tough world to make it in and it can become very difficult." Kat halted Diamond and turned to look at Mrs Mockingwood.
"Belinda, is that a threat?" She asked. Mrs Mockingwood smiled.
"I'm just reminding you that I am just as submerged in the racing world as you are. I own a couple of your promising mounts this year." Mrs Mockingwood patted her back, "Goodbye Catherine."
"Goodbye Belinda." Kat watched the woman head back to the car park then clicked her tongue to the mare and headed back to the van.