Chapter 3

"Wow! Look at this place!" Carla stared as she and her father drove through the wrought iron gates of The Acropolis. The Acropolis was the name of the stud farm owned by Lady Elizabeth and her husband.
"It is beautiful." Her father agreed, "which way do we go?" They stopped the car to look at the three different lanes that connected The Acropolis together.
"I think we go to the house." Carla said, pointing straight ahead.
"I think the Athena option might be better, that's where they train the horses." Her father replied.
"We'll go with Forrest House," Carla insisted.
"Very well princesa." Juan pushed the car forward. Today Carla was having a tour of the stable she may come to be in charge of in January. She'd also sign all the important contracts They said that she'd be an official groom of The Acropolis and that she'd be commiting herself to a school life as well as an athletic one. Carla gasped as they left the cover of the forest and emerged into the great British drizzle. Either side of the drive were gravestones, Carla caught the names off a few. She was relieved to find that they were for horses. At the end of the drive was a house that was probably once a stately home, and given the grounds attached Carla wouldn't be surprised if it was one.
"I had forgotten the English weather." Juan said with a sigh as they stopped, "it is disgusting."
"Yeah but there are horses!" Carla jumped out, "are you coming?"

"She looks fantastic." James Kingsley told Kat as they stood side by side in the Fillie Yard, "it's off to California for you." he addded to the horse they were looking at.
"She's ready, isn't she?" Kat nodded and stepped up to the small horse that was tossing her head and yanking at the lead rein. It wasn't Dove. This mare was a striking, blazing chestnut. Her copper coat contrasted with her bright white star. Kat took the sweat sheet from Terry and gently arranged the light blue blanket with a green trim over the mare's back. In the corner of the blanket The Acropolis was embroidered in gold. The mare's legs were already wrapped up and she was ready to travel.
"Let's take her out to the van then." Kat said, adjusting the buckles and giving Evening Primrose a pat on the neck. Primrose rolled her eyes and danced away. Terry nodded to the groom and the pair headed towards the yard entrance. Kat and James followed, leaving a fair bit of distance between themselves and Primrose's flying hooves. Outside the yard, a van was waiting. It was being opened up in preparation to take Primrose to the airport. Tomorrow morning she left for California for the Breeders Cup Championships, as would Kat. In the opposite yard, where the colts lived, a horse was also being led out.
"Hey TC." Kat grinned, scratching the colt's withers. Tooth and Claw twitched his dark ears and waited patiently. He may have only been a two year old colt but he was much better behaved than Primrose. The chestnut mare was prancing on the spot in excitement.
"Have a good trip." Kat told Terry as Primrose loaded up through the fenced ramp. The mare disappeared and TC was lead over.
"Here's hoping. I guess I'll see you in California." Terry shook James' hand.
"See you on the other side." Kat agreed, she headed off to her stable of old eventers; he grandmother wanted her.

Carla stared wide eyed as she stepped into the stable yard. Even on a drizzly day it was beautiful. The stalls all had doors of waxed mahogany and brass nameplates; beside each door rested a leather and chain lead.
"Wow." She breathed.
"It is a lovely set up." Agreed Lady Eliza, "we have a full sized manage for dressage and a grass jumping arena."
"Wow."
"And a few cross country jumps as well as an equine swimming pool and two all weather galloping tracks."
"Wow." Carla was stuck on the word.
"And of couse a solarium and a leg spa; also a treadmill and individual turnout paddocks and sand pits."
"Wow."
"So I imagine that Swallow would be perfectly comfortable here."
"She would. She'd love it." Carla babbled, "can I meet the horses."
"Yes, we'll just wait for Kat. She can tell you more than anyone else." Lady Eliza replied.
"She's good with horses then?" Carla asked. Juan snorted with laughter.
"She's very good, she helped me with a few horses when she was out in Spain." he told her.
"Right. Her trip to Spain."
"Yes. When she was twelve. She's been fluent ever since." Lady Eliza told Carla.
"Right." they descended into silence. Kat had probably spent more time with her father than she had, Carla realised.
"Hello." Kat appeared in the yard. At the sound of her voice several elegant heads appeared over the doors.
"Hi." Carla smiled as everyone else greeted her as well, some with high pitched whinnies.
"Right, guess I should give you an introduction." Kat said, her face remained completely blank of emotion.
"I've got eight horses, so if you have your mare here you'll be working four horses a day."
"Only four?"
"Gina, your groom, has been riding them all so she'll take half the load." Kat told her as they walked to the first stall.
"This is Highland Rose. She's a sweet little thing." Kat dropped a kiss on the end of a light bay mare's nose. Before Carla had time to say anything Kat had moved on.
"Wayward Flame is here and Reams of Summer is in the next box." they walked past two, practically matching, chestnuts.
"Winter Butterflies is the grey, he's a handy gelding but he's getting old. Normally my dad's hack would be in the next door stall but he's on his way to Cal."
"Where?" Carla asked.
"California."
"Right. Why?" Carla asked.
"Breeders Cup."
"And that is?" Carla asked. Kat rolled her eyes and sighed.
"One of the biggest race meetings in the world. Group One races pretty much all day. After Royal Ascot, it's the second biggest meeting we go to." Kat quickly filled her in, "Flash of Magic is an ex-racehorse. He's done a bit of eventing but he's usually just a hack." Carla nodded and continued to move on their hundred mile an hour tour.
"Pretty Pebbles is who you will ride in a minute and the horse next door is Coastal Fiesta." Kat paused and Carla reached up to touch the white strip of Coastal Fiesta. The thoroughbred mare gazed back with pricked ears.
"Fiesta is a bit of rising star, she raced three times then failed to get in foal. I trained her up during the years she was barren and then two years ago she finally got in foal. But she's be barren ever since. She's the horse of the future." Kat told Carla. Carla had the distinct feeling that Kat thought she was dumb.
"Right." She sighed.
"And finally," Kat gave a distrusting glance, "Black Diamond."

Strictly speaking horses can never be black just very dark brown. However, if the horsey population were to look at Black Diamond they'd reconsider. She was dark, velvety black. Blacker than anything else in the world.
"It's really her." Carla gaped as Black Diamond threw her head over the door. Her white diamond shone between her eyes. Carla had watched this mare from afar last year. Black Diamond and Catherine Forest-Kingsley? they were going places. Everyone had said it. Everyone. They had been incredible and their partnership was infallible. The dressage was a dance, their cross country was fast and their show jumping was impeccable.
"Yes, it's really her." Kat agreed. Black Diamond snorted and turned her head to look at Carla. She took one look then turned back to Kat. Guess you don't like me either, Carla thought.
"Come with me." Kat snapped and led Carla towards one of the stalls they'd already passed.
"Ok." Carla mumbled. A dappled grey mare tipped her head over the door. She had a bridle on and Carla managed to spy a saddle at further examination. Kat flipped the bolt at the stall door and kicked the kick bolt up.
"Here you go." she said, handing the reins to Carla, "lead her out." Carla did so, clinging to the reins as the mare gave an excited prance. It looked like this would be tricky.

It wasn't. Pebbles turned out to be the perfect mount. She responded to the lightest touch and jumped anything you put in front of her. She was eager to please and eager to show off. At first Carla had clung to the mare's bit, holding her back but eventually she let her go. When she did it was like riding a superstar. As they set off on the final extended trot, Carla felt a surge of confidence. She sat deep and pressed on; Pebbles responded with incredible strides, it felt like they were floating.
"Very good." Kat called from the fence, "your father taught you dressage well." Carla snorted, her father had never given here a lesson in her life. Pebbles pulled up and Carla dismounted as Kat fed the mare a piece of carrot.
"So, I passed?" Carla asked. A rare smile came up on Kat's face.
"Yes, I'm in Cal for three weeks for the Breeders Cup but after that...you can come up and ride more often." Kat said. Carla held back a grin.
"Cool." she dismounted and loosened here girth, "I forgot to ask. How's Dove?"
"She was moved to the local hospital last week which is an improvement. They reckon she'll be home by December."
"That's great." Carla grinned before she led Pebbles off. Kat watched her go and nodded. She liked that girl.
"It is great."