Chapter 22

Kat stood in the middle of Epsom Downs, gazing up at the massive grandstand that she would gallop past in a couple of hours, hopefully in front. The rain was beating down and the course beneath her feet was only just short of being named a bog.
"When has it ever rained like this in June before?" Donovan shot a disgusted look around, "TC might not mind soft ground but this is more like a river."
"It certainly has opened the heavens." James Kingsley agreed, "They're going to find it hard work out here." The two jockeys nodded.
"I want you to take particular care at Tattenham Corner, I don't want you losing your footing."
"Yeah," Kat nodded, "Noted."
"Luckily this weather seems to be reducing the field, there are only nine of you left."
"Only nine?"
"Ordered Steps and Onceinabluemoon remain but Flight Shine has been scratched."
"Who else does that leave?" Donovan asked.
"Lister, the Irish colt, and his pacemaker, Poet. The American colt, Revisetheplan; My Time, trained locally, and Rush of Glory. Quite the field really."
"Lister is the one I'm worried about, ran a bomb in the Irish Guineas."
"And a fan of soft ground but the distance may be key." James agreed, "Poet is no issue and the American colt has never run in England before so he doesn't stand a chance, only came over last week."
"Rush of Glory?"
"Overrated."
"My Time."
"Good but may need better ground."
"Ordered Steps?"
"A big worry, he's a good colt."
"Ours is better." Kat reassured her father, "I'm going to get changed into something dry. Good luck in the first Don."
"Cheers KFC, see you at Derby time." Donovan touched his forehead in response.

On her way through the growing crowd Kat came across the statue that took pride of place in Epsom. The bronze statue of a horse coming back from a victory, her head high and her rider wearing an expression of glee and disbelief. The horse was a filly and more surprisingly the jockey was also female. This was Athena Forest's memorial. Herself and Hana's Lightning returning from victory in the Epsom Derby. A massive honour to have a statue here but it was well deserved. Kat placed the one lilly that she'd brought with her at the base of Hana's left forefoot, like the one that Dove had injured. It was a wish for soundness for her filly and Kat clasped her hand over the bronze rein that sprang from the metalwork.
"Wish me luck."

Dappled Dove watched the crowds patiently. Her dark ears flickered with interest but she was quiet. She was here on business and she would run to win and that meant not wasting her energy kicking up a fuss. She shook her head, trying to unstick her mane from her neck, the rain was tipping down and her silver coat was beyond damp. The crowds were ignoring her, putting her down as a longshot and instead the cameras were aimed at the brown colt and the filly that was considered to be greater than herself. A wildly inaccurate fact that needed to be put right and Dove had every intention of doing so. The jockeys entered the paddock and Dove turned her head with excitement, soon her girl would be here and they'd be galloping.

Carla placed a hand on TC's shoulder as Donovan came to mount up. Her charge walked steadily beside her, the light blanket over his back was soaked, as was his dark mane and tail. Nonetheless he looked regal. His browband peaked out from beneath his forelock, the colours of the stud, and he arched his neck proudly at the hushed wispers that started when people saw him. Across the paddock, Poet was kicking and bucking. The small bay colt wasn't happy with the people or the weather, he'd never run in a race of this caliber before and it was getting to him. His stablemate, Lister, looked quite happy with the weather though; having come from Ireland where the weather had been awful all season so far. The American colt looked disheartened, his head was low and he plodded around the ring with his ears flat back to his head instead of peering coyly around the edges of his blinkers. The chestnut, My Time, was striding out monstrously with his head high but his rider looked disgusted by the weather and Carla was fairly sure that was probably a reflection of his horse's opinion too. Donovan sat aboard TC with ease now, his legs looped up into the stirrups and he was running through the final plan with James. TC was in the middle of the parade, three horses would have to step out onto the track before him. Carla led him around in a circle and looked at the four horses she hadn't thought about. Rush of Glory didn't seem to ooze the class that some of the other runners had and his jockey looked somewhat nervous, it was his first Derby. Ordered Steps looked worryingly good though. He had a great stature about him, he'd grown in confidence since the Guineas, and his stride came with a swing and he was craning his head to look around. Then came the little filly. Small, bright bay with a wide, white blaze that splashed down her face. Her canary yellow silks were contradictory to the dark weather and she was jogging as she walked, ears twirling as she looked around. Onceinabluemoon was definitely the one to beat according to the bookies but Carla wasn't so sure because across the ring from that filly was the massive grey. Dove was striding out with purpose, held in place by Richie and Brooke. The filly looked stunning, even in the rain. It made her gorgeous grey coat more fluid, silver to look at. Her jockey had the perfect pokerface, not even glancing at the crowds, her eyes blocked out by a pair of goggles. She had barely spoken to Carla since the change in TC's staff and Carla knew that it wasn't just about keeping it professional. They both wanted to keep their horse an enigma until the gates opened.

"Oh my God, quit raining on my parade." Kat sighed as Dove stepped out onto the course, eighth in the parade. Brooke glanced at her.
"Nice one." She grinned at Kat's joke, "This weather is gross as is this grass." She stomped on the soft turf to prove her point.
"You don't say." Kat replied, eyeing Brooke's hair which had been swept to her skull by the rain, "It's lightened up a bit though so we won't be running into a flood. Just through one." Down at the front of the parade Lister broke away in a canter and My Time quickly followed. Brook reached for the buckle that held Dove in place and grinned up at Kat as slowly the other horses sloped off at smooth canters. TC was the horse in front and he took off eagerly down the course, Dove threw up her head to follow.
"Good luck!" Brooke called as she let Dove go, "See you at the finish!"
"We will!" Kat yelled back as Dove, overexcited by the cheers of the crowd, took off beneath her down the boggy course.