Chapter 19

Unfortunately, the next day Onceinabluemoon ground out a hard fought victory in the Dante Stakes. She'd shown that she was a gutsy filly, unafraid of a good fight, and had planted herself as joint favourite for the Derby with TC. James wasn't happy about it.
"Wills doesn't deserve a filly like her." He growled to Kat. They were discussing the Derby field, "She's much too good."
"You think she'll like Epsom?" Kat asked, she was perched up on Dove, James stood beside her as the horses on the track ran.
"Who knows? She might fade, she's only ever tried ten furlongs."
"Twelve will be no issue for her, we both know she's got enough stamina in her dam side. Plus, according the Post, she's come out bouncing."
"I thought she would. As has your filly though." James smiled as her reached out to stroke Dove's neck, "She's matured a lot, really set her head to business."
"That's a good thing right?"
"Yes, it is." James nodded, "Very good. Given her performance in the Musidora I'd say that she's going to Epsom."
"I know she's going to Epsom. Just which race?" Kat ran a hand down Dove's silky crest and the filly chomped at the bit, eager to get going.
"Which do you think would be better for us? TC is already in the Derby."
"TC is a ten furlong horse. He won't stay twelve."
"He will."
"He might but he won't be at his best over twelve. Onceinabluemoon might be. If you want to take the filly down then you need to put this girl in it."
"I thought you'd say that." James smiled and patted Dove's shoulder, "Ten furlong gallop, let her go in the last two."
"Yes sir."

"Catherine! Catherine! Catherine!" The shrieking commenced shortly after Kat had put Dove back in her stall and was readying Hope for a gallop.
"Yes?" Kat replied, surprised that her grandmother had already discovered her controversial choice to put Dove in the Derby.
"Catherine, where are you?" The tone was impatient and imperious, "I don't have time for games!" Kat sighed and pushed back Hope's door, leading the pretty bay filly out.
"Is this the horse you stole?" Lady Eliza was close to screeching and Hope gave a nervous snort.
"Easy girl, I haven't stolen any horses." Kat ran a reassuring hand over Hope's neck, slightly puzzled.
"Don't call me girl!" Her grandmother spat, "Apparently my house is harbouring a horse thief."
"Gosh, who have you stolen?" Kat smiled tightly then tightened Hope's girth another hole.
"You, young lady, you! I just received a call from a very rich man, very rich."
"Oh?"
"And apparently, you stole his horse." Lady Eliza pointed an accusatory finger.
"I don't think so. What was his name? I've mainly been nicking horses off women recently..." Her sarcasm wasn't appreciated.
"This filly, you didn't buy her! You took her from the owner."
"He asked me to, he said if she won something I could have her."
"Do you have a contract that he signed?" Lady Eliza raised an eyebrow, "Or maybe a recording of what he said? How about anything to confirm this story?"
"He had the filly vanned up here!"
"By a groom who has now been convicted for horse cruelty! How do you think that will look in court?" Lady Eliza's voice turned shrill again, "He is on his way to fetch the filly right now!"
"He's what?" Kat stared in disbelief, "You're joking?"
"No, he wants his horse back so I suggest that you untack her and get her ready for the journey back to Newmarket!" Hope was starting to drag at the reins, throwing her head up uneasily. Kat stroked her neck soothingly then shook her head.
"She's got her first gallop with the others today, I'll be riding her out on the track. If you want to bring her owner down to see her then fine but otherwise she's staying in training."

Jacob Wilkes arrived with Carson Wills at his side. Wills was smiling greedily as he eyed the stables up, clearly he was delighted to be getting inside the Acropolis.
"Lady Elizabeth Forest, my granddaughter is working Heavenly Hope as we speak." Lady Eliza greeted them with courteous displeasure. Mr Wilkes smiled and shook her hand then, on receiving an elbow to the ribs from Wills, frowned.
"I warned you I'd be here to get the filly, why is she not ready?"
"My granddaughter thought you might like to see the filly work?"
"He's seen the filly race before and that was nothing special." Wills barked.
"The filly has turned over a new leaf since then." Lady Eliza smiled frostily, "She's been working with Spring Arrow, a sprinter going to Royal Ascot, and has been holding her own." The mention of Royal Ascot clearly influenced Mr Wilkes, he paused thoughtfully then shrugged.
"A quick look wouldn't hurt. And then I want her on my lorry!"
"Certainly sir." Lady Eliza motioned with her hand, "This way please."