Chapter 18

"Don't suppose you'd give me a hand?" Kat peered over the stable door of Black Diamond, the mare hopped over to say hello, Carla still clinging to her forefoot.
"Yes?" Carla asked through gritted teeth, "Stand still!"
"Would you mind riding out with me? I need a partner pony for Hope. She's fine until we hit the track and I think it's because she won't work alone."
"Sure, let me finish up here."
"Cool, I've got Spring Arrow tacked up for you."
"Spring Arrow?" Carla choked on air, "The racehorse?"
"Who else?" Kat smirked, "I'm not sticking you up on an ex-racer, you're going to need something that can keep up."
"Right, well I'll see you in a moment?"
"Yes ma'am."

"Hey there, pretty girl." Carla reached out and patted the neck of the beautiful red mare, "You ready for another run?" Arrow snorted, she'd made an impressive racecourse debut at Newbury on the weekend and was ready for another work after a day's rest. Arrow stood quietly as Carla mounted up, adjusting herself to the short stirrups.
"Good girl," Carla rubbed the mare's neck and nudged her towards the walking arena. Hope was already there. The bay filly was already walking, her strides were long and she looked completely relaxed.
"She looks nice."
"Just wait till she's on the track." Kat replied, "Warm Arrow up and then we'll go for a canter." Carla nodded and pressed Arrow into a walk, walking her in circles and changing the rein; like she's warm and eventer up. She picked up a gentle trot and once Arrow was going nicely, she pulled up and turned to Kat.
"Okay, we'll jog first but when we reach the furlong pole, we'll canter."
"Okay."
"Come on girl." Kat clicked her tongue at Hope but the filly threw up her head and dithered at the edge of the track, "Go on!"
"I'll go first." Carla steered Arrow around the baulking filly and onto the track, pausing just on it. Hope watched with doubt then finally joined Arrow.
"Improvement already, yesterday it took me half an hour to get her on the track." Kat told Carla.
"Gosh, she's a pain isn't she?"
"Yes but it's understandable. Wills is a piece of work." Kat's soothing touch had little effect on Hope's high jinks.
"Poor girl, do you think she suffered for long?"
"No. I think she was probably a nice enough runner before she was forced out on the track before her time and didn't manage to run. We're going to try and bring that back, strike off at a canter." Kat's voice didn't shift but her weight did. Arrow stepped into a steady, smooth canter and Hope, not wanting to be left behind, went with her. Carla was whisked away in the smooth, rocking-horse motion of Arrow's canter. Hope didn't look quite so smooth, she was stiff in her back and her head was high; she even gave a couple of high strung bucks.
"She looks like quite a ride."
"She is but this is a million times better than she is alone."
"Have you got an aim for her?"
"Get her galloping and there's a listed race next October."
"Next year?" Carla glanced at Kat in shock, "Are you serious?"
"It's my last resort. Hopefully I'll get her going before then." Kat was stood, swaying gently in the stirrups, and Carla saw a flicker of hope across her face.
"How long are we cantering for."
"As long as it takes for her to calm down, Arrow might get tired before then but she's not expending energy kicking up a fuss like this girl."
"How's Dove coming along? Ten days till the Musidora." Carla asked, Arrow flexed her jaw against the reins, "I think this girl wants a run."
"You can try her one day, for a proper gallop that is."
"Sounds good." Carla smiled, "Dove?"
"Alright. My father wants to see a bit more from her, I'd like to see a bit less; her works are far better than last year."
"You think she might not show that on the course?"
"I have many fears, missing my French exam because Dove pulls up lame in the Musidora is one of them."
"Your French exam is on the same day?"
"Four o clock. I'm practically hopping off her, driving to school and getting it done. I hope Madame Daviau doesn't mind the smell of horse."
"Is she invigilating?"
"Probably, what exams have you got this week?"
"Psych is coming up, ugh. Otherwise mine don't really get going till next week and they finish the first week of June."
"Like mine, finish the week before Derby weekend-" Kat broke off, "She's completely calm, I stopped noticing." She reached down and patted Hope's neck, "Let's pull up, same time tomorrow?"
"Sure." Carla eased Arrow up, "Guess I'm off to do revision."
"Good luck." Kat grinned at her, "I will probably be doing the same thing."