Chapter 23

Penultimate chapter!! To everyone who has got this far (if anyone has): THANK YOU! Please tell me what you think....
B xx

The horses circled quietly down by the gates, all nine of their jockeys were soaked to the skin. The gate handlers were all pulling faces at the weather, normally loading up for the Derby had an element of excitement but instead at this moment they were cold and wet despite their waterproofs. My Time loaded up first, followed by Onceinabluemoon. The bay filly's jockey smirked as he was led in, waving a proud hand at Kat. Kat rolled her eyes and sat back on her grey filly. Dove stood stil, watching the world quite happily. A camera was roving through the horses and barely touched on them, Kat rolled her eyes. They weren't that much of a long shot! The handler stepped up and slipped the cord through Dove's bit. The filly followed cheerfully, slipping into the gate between Rush of Glory and Lister. At least this place allowed her an easier run than TC who would be pressed between Poet and My Time, another frontrunner. Once in the green gate Dove seemed to tense, preparing herself for the jump onto the beautiful course.
"Easy, easy," Kat stroked the dappled neck, "You need to show all heart baby." Dove turned her head, looking at Kat and gave a snort. All heart, I've got that.

The gates flipped back and the horses, practiced in the art of racing, jumped out without delay. Kat kept her hands firm on Dove's reins as they made their way up the slight incline. The filly hung on the bit, keeping well back from the frontrunners and eventually taking the ninth place position. She kept her head low, not minding the clods of dirt that were being thrown up in her face. The stiff course of Epsom was said to be one of the most difficult in the world, the undulations of the course meant your horse had to really stay and the infamous Tattenham course meant your horse had to be able to lead on both legs; the American colt was in trouble for exactly that reason. Dove had her ears pricked as they slogged up the hill, it showed she didn't mind the ground which was a great relief to Kat. The first three furlongs ground past, the pace was slow despite the pacemaker's best efforts. The ground was not good enough for the time to be anything shocking and Kat saw the frustration of Rush of Glory's jockey, his colt liked a good pace. The American colt seemed equally upset, being used to the fast, firm tracks in his homeland. Kat couldn't see the others, they were somewhere ahead in a cloud of mud.

"They approaching the highest point of the course, Poet still takes them on with My Time back half a length. They're three wide back in thid, Onceinablueoon, Ordered Steps and Lister. Just back behind them is Tooth and Claw, Rush of Glory hangs onto seventh with Revisetheplan failing to travel, the American colt looks very uncomfortable, then out the back is Dappled Dove, the grey filly is a good seven lengths off the lead as they hit the seven furlong mark, it's all downhill from here folks!" The commentator's cheery call crackled over the dark skies of Epsom. Carla watched eagerly, gripping her mother's hand as they stood side by side and watched. Her mother had surprised her by joining her to watch the race. It was a brilliant surprise and her mother had had her own surprise when she'd seen Carla leading the favourite for the Derby around the parade ring.
"He's back in sixth!" Carla called to James. James shrugged.
"Six and a half to go, Donovan has time!" He replied, ducking back to be beside Carla. The skys were opening again, the rain pouring down in heavy drops as the horses approached the five furlong pole and Tattenham Corner.
"They're both on the right leg!" James called to her as the horses began to make the swing around, "In fact the only one who isn't is the American colt!" Carla nodded, watching as the frontrunner's jockey got to work on him, urging him with body and arms but the colt was decelerating as fast as the others were accelerating. Onceinabluemoon was moving easily up and a small gap on the rail opened up as the pacemaker faded. She was through it like a dart, her wide white face taking the lead in the Derby field. Carla bit her lip and looked for TC, the colt had moved effortlessly up into fourth, striking distance away but Donovan wouldn't ask him for at least two more furlongs. Carla screamed his name nonetheless as Ordered Steps moved up to challenge the filly. The red and yellow silks on his back got close to Onceinabluemoon but suddenly the filly had a spurt of speed, she took off; bursting away from Ordered Steps and opening up a two length lead.
"Move Donovan, move!" James yelled through gritted teeth, "Don't let her get away." Donovan was sat, frozen in the saddle though. James winced and shook his head.
"Move!" He yelled once more before thumping one fist into the palm of his other hand.