Chapter 20

The Promise preened as she was led around the ring at York Racecourse. It was Sunday and half the stable had been vanned to York Racecourse for a gallop in front of the assembling crowds. In the parade ring, The Promise tossed her jet black mane and preened in all the attention. She was a delightful filly, sixteen hands to the shoulder with an elegant air but shoulders that were pure muscle. She was amongst their biggest two year old hopes and wouldn't start until August, at least. Behind her walked another of their good two year olds, Born Beauty, and a third filly, Heart Ache. All wore saddles and were looking around with ease, as if they had been prepared for this since they arrived on planet Earth. Behind the three bay fillies walked Hope. The filly was a stark contrast. She did not wear a saddle, instead a sweat sheet was over her rump, although she still had a bridle on; a good move given her current attempts to escape the gentle hands of her handler. It had been Kat's decision to bring Hope for a gentle reintroduction to the racecourse, one she was glad of now she had seen how Hope was behaving. Hope gave another plunge against the lead rein as the spectator she was walking past waved her program to attract someone's attention. Kat rolled her eyes as the filly tried to kick and break free of her bridle.
"Mount up." James ordered as the final two year old entered the ring. Kat made a beeline for The Promise whilst other riders headed for their own mounts. All the two year old fillies that James had deemed fit were present at this moment. Eighteen walking quietly around the ring with Hope plunging at the end. Kat greeted Promise with a pat on the neck and the filly flattened her ears; she had a sharp mind and a sharp kick and preferred to be left alone, like so many great racemares. Kat took a leg up and landed easily aboard the bay filly. Promise arched her neck, the saddlecloth reading '1' meant she would be the first horse out on the track. Kat gathered the reins of the filly and nodded to the groom, the horse could go on the track.

Two hours later, the elite entered the paddock. For a light canter James was happy to mix and match colts and fillies in a small group. This group contained the big names, Tooth and Claw and Dappled Dove weren't the only great names. Donovan had been absent from the afternoon, busy racing, and so Carla had taken the ride on Tooth and Claw. Kat was not happy about the fact. Tooth and Claw was the world's number one three year old colt and Carla was a beginner who happened to get along with the colt. Nonetheless, James had agreed to Carla's gingerly offered idea, despite Kat's glares and advice against. Carla looked pale as a sheet as she mounted up on the liver chestnut colt. Since the Muisdora Kat had been banished from TC's saddle and Carla had taken up the job. But a racecourse gallop was a different matter to a work out. Kat was on Dove, the grey filly was prancing and dancing for all she was worth as she followed Dakota Donner, Cosmic Cobweb and Spring Arrow onto the track. Tooth and Claw was close behind them, side by side with Restless Calamity, Neverstopsparkling and Neverendingstartstruck. The horses broke into a canter, their stampede drawing cheers from the crowd. Starstruck took the lead and Kat eased Dove out the back. Her filly, damp with rain and her tail streaming as a dark cloud behind her, settled behind the others without a pause. Her change of countenance over the winter had not gone unnoticed. She was now seen as a growing threat to the three year old filly division but she still remained a long shot for the Derby. When Kat jogged the filly back into the parade ring the filly was practically unnoticed. Everyone was watching one colt... Tooth and Claw, favourite for the Derby.

The evening sun was gently warming the green pastures by the time they got back from York. Kat handed her filly over to the grooms and headed for the sun blessed pastures at Aphrodite. The dusky green pastures were filled with this year's crop of foals. In a small paddock down by the stables, Hana's Lightning was grazing with her latest foal. The sun was making the chestnut filly glow bronze, her little white stripe gleaming under her mother's flank. Kat watched the charming moment as the filly drank from her mother. She called to the bay mare, the deep cedar bay mare snorted but refused to come over. Her little filly decided to though. Her little chestnut ears pricked up and she stepped daintily over to them. Kat had decided on her name the previous night. Her regal countenance and speed had seen her blessed as Celestial Princess. She certainly had the attitude to be a princess. Kat stroked the little velvet muzzle and slipped the filly a scratch on the withers before heading down to the larger paddocks.

Down at the bigger paddocks, the mares were grazing contentedly whilst their foals, long legged and big eared, played and explored the outside world. Willow was out grazing with her foals. Kat whistled when she arrived at the fence line. The mares all lifted their heads, a couple picking up their hooves and prancing over. Willow, a shadowy silhouette in the pasture, was amongst them. Her foals ran alongside her, ears pricked up as she inspected Kat's pockets for treats.
"Hello little lady, how are you?" Kat murmured, stroking velvety muzzle, "And you two? You look more and more like your daddy everyday." It was true. The two colts might have had their mother's colouring but they had their daddy's fire. She reached beneath the fence, tagging the smaller colt. He squealed and reared back, suddenly alight with adrenaline. The colt had had his name reserved last week. He would be called Flint, for the fire that burned inside him but his steady stable temperament. The other colt remained nameless. He was a little less steady, a little more easily upset. He took off down the fence line, whinnying excitedly. His brother took flight after him. They were discovering the hidden talents, the gene inside them that made them run, race and gave them that special gene that made them want to win.