Chapter 21

CONGRATS AMERICAN PHAROAH!! BOUT TIME THERE WAS A NEW TRIPLE CROWN WINNER!! WHO CARES OF YOUR OWNERS CANT SPELL, AT LEAST YOU DID THEM PROUD!!
I may be a little excited ;)

The Derby wore closer at an alarming rate. Exams finished a week before and Carla and Kat still weren't speaking. Finally, three days before it was time for the final works and the gates of Acropolis opened to let people in to see the two Derby hopes go for a final roll. The people of Appleby crowded in under the spring sunshine, along with others who had made the journey from elsewhere. Down at Epsom the weather wasn't so fine, the course would probably be soft come Saturday but neither James nor Lady Eliza were fazed by this development. Donovan and Kat weren't either, they both thought their horses could run on the surface. In fact, they knew it. Kat was more concerned for the sake of Hope. The filly had ran like a shot over the firm grass gallop a week before but the soft was untried territory. She could only hope for the best.

Kat straightened the pale blue exercise sheet over Dove's quarters and checked her girth. The filly was ready to go. The filly was decked out for the occasion, her green saddle cloth sat upon the sheet, both emblazoned with her name in gold; every colour of the stud's silks were covered. Kat herself wore a white hat silk, signifying that Dove was the second string to TC. TC was already warming up in the arena, she'd seen him go down herself. Kat took Dove's reins from Brooke and Brooke smiled.
"Show the world that she's got a big run come Saturday."
"I will do." Kat grinned and she mounted aboard her big grey filly.

"So, who do you prefer?" The journalist nagged in James' ear and James rolled his eyes. Some racing mag had sent a youngster, fresh out of Uni, to interview him and watch the works.
"Both good horses but this is the Derby so they should be."
"You don't think Dappled Dove is out of her depth?"
"She's the biggest horse in the field, if the mud is so high that she's out of her depth then they're all in trouble." James replied with a smile, "But I don't think the mud will get that high." He watched as the dapple grey filly joined TC in the arena. The two horses were side by side for a half second before Dove's long legs and equally long strides put herself in front.
"She's a great walker." He murmured to himself as the filly looked around with interest but it wasn't to misbehave, it was to remind herself where she was. It was like, after all these years, Hana's Lightning had produced a filly who had the right mind as well as the right talent.
"You think that Tooth and Claw will put his nose in front?" The journalist asked, using terminology that sounded out of place compared to his shining suit. James was silent for a moment, Dove walked past and he felt the power of her body and he wasn't sure.
"The point of the race is to find out." He replied, "And on Saturday we will."

Sir Gordon Forest leaned against the rail beside his wife, watching as Tooth and Claw galloped up the track in the silks that his family had carried for generations now. The colt looked jolly nice and the appreciative gasp of the crowd made him smile. It was nice to see the horses hat he owned giving pleasure to the people who loved them. Donovan eased TC up and slowed the colt to a trot. He lifted his hand to his hat in a salute as he passed Sir Gordon. Gordon nodded back as the colt eased up to an easy walk on the outside rail. People began to snap pictures as the colt walked off. The arena gates opened and a Dappled Dove stepped through the gates, giving a loud whinny as she did. Her eyes roved over the crowd and she pricked up her ears as she began bouncing over the track. She too attracted some attention, she was so beautiful that people wanted a photo for their collection. Kat let the filly into a canter, on a tight rein, and Dove chomped on the bit as she thundered past, her sheet flapping behind her as the wind ripped through her dark mane. The heavy hits of her hooves made her sound like a warhorse more than racehorse.
"She's magnificent." Lord Gordon murmured to his wife, "She has run on soft before, hasn't she?"
"Yes, she has." Lady Eliza nodded, "Last year though and she's changed a lot since then."
"For the better I think." Lord Gordon replied, "Three days to go, how are the fillies looking?"
"Neverendingstarstruck cantered up nicely but Winner's Fascination looks like she has a real shot. Belinda won't have Kat up on her though, insists on Donovan. Which is a shame because the filly works better for Catherine."
"She still wants Catherine to be an eventer?"
"Yes, the problem with co-owning is that you can be paired with stubborn old women." Lady Eliza sighed. Sir Gordon smiled.
"Says you, my dear."
"Yes, says me. I half hope that Starstruck mows her down. That arrogant women has...ideas about herself which aren't right."
"Yes dear." Lord Gordon watched Dove take flight around the turn, "That filly can certainly run."
"Yes, she can."
"How's the Heaven's Guest filly?"
"Heavenly Hope? Nice filly, I think Catherine wishes she had a couple of months for her but she's reasonably optimistic. Apart from the ground, she doesn't like that."
"The horse or Catherine?"
"Catherine. The filly is unproven on it. But then again, she's unproven overall I'd say. Wills made a right mess of her."
"Wills has tended to do that over the years. Did you see what he said in the post?"
"No?" Lady Eliza raised an eyebrow, "Slandering our horses?"
"To put it lightly. He says that his filly will love the ground."
"Perhaps she will. James was telling me that the filly hasn't grown."
"Hasn't she? That may not stand in her favour."
"Being small doesn't always hurt their chances."
"You know what they say," Lord Gordon nodded to Dove, "A good big 'un will always beat a good small 'un."
"If we're going by that then Dappled Dove will never be defeated." Lady Eliza nodded to the grey filly, "She's a bit of a genetic freak."
"With exception of her mother's talent."
"True enough, that came through nicely." Dove blasted past at full speed, as if to prove the point.