five

C H A N T E L L E

"So, what the hell is so important about this new museum again?" Milaine asked.

"I'm working as an assistant at their new museum. It's the closest I'll ever get to art." I explain, taking a bite out of my food.

"That's really cool, Chantelle. I'm proud of you." She smiles, sipping her drink.

"Thank you," I said as I looked away. No one has really told me they were proud of me. My parents spent most of their time telling me that they were disappointed.

My phone buzzed, indicating I had received a text.

Mattias Menaz

Hey, It's Mattias, just wanted to let you know that your meeting was moved from next week to tomorrow.

Ok sounds good.

That was a bit strange, but oh well. Even when we spoke at the entry of the building. He seemed off. And his eyes were a bit swollen, and they were red too. I hope he was okay.

"Anyway, enough of that. Remember Macy?" She asked me. I nod and she continues. "She's hosting a small get together, and I'm inviting you."

"Why me?" I ask. Milaine could've asked; Sage or Naomi or anyone else.

"Because let's be honest, you're the hottest out of all of us." She says in a "duh" tone.

My ego is on another level of high right now.

"You know that's not true." I really didn't know how to accept compliments.

"It's the truth. So are you coming or not?" She asks. I think about it for a second. Milaine's friends were nice.

"Yeah, sure I'll come." Milaine grins and claps her hands together.

"Perfect! Come over and we'll get ready together." She exclaims, cleaning up the table.

"Wait now? Isn't a bit early." I frown.

"It's one o'clock, right? It'll take us about three hours to get ready and since I'm with you maybe four. Then it'll be four or five o'clock. After that we're going to grab some dinner then, it will be maybe seven o'clock, then we head to Macy's, and it's going to be eight." She explains.

"Ohh, that makes sense." I nod, helping her clean the table. Milaine was so organized that it scared me.

"Yeah, no shit now let's go." Milaine paid and soon, we were out of the door.

• • •

"Sit still, Chantelle," She groans.

"I'm trying," I groan, wincing. Milaine had the "amazing" idea of waxing our eyebrows. Never in my life am I letting her gaslight me into doing something like this.

"Milaine shit that hurts." I wince again.

"No, it doesn't you're just sensitive." She rolls her eyes and I stick up my middle finger at her.

"FUCK." I yell.

"Perfect, you look amazing." She smiles, satisfied with the results. I probably look like I went through a hurricane.