Get away from me

An irritating sound in the background is blasting around the room, breaking me away from my sleep. It's been playing for quite some times now but I refuse to leave the calmness of my bed. I keep turning while hoping it would stop or I'll find the perfect position to drown it out. However, on the tenth call, I finally wake up to pick up the phone.

"What?" I answer without checking the caller ID.

"Rachel, where are you?" Cassie asks as if I had just made the worse betrayal possible.

"In my bed, what do you want?" I flop back on my bed, "I thought I told you to not ever call me in the morning. I'm losing beauty sleep just by listening to you jabbering about nonsense."

I'm debating whether to just hang up and go back to bed but her words stop me. "What do you mean morning? Rachel, it's three in the afternoon."

"What?" I jolt upwards and run to the window. I look outside and indeed the air has lost its early morning glow. Now, the sun has already established itself as sole king all the way in the sky.

"You didn't know that? What happened last night? Did you get wasted without me?" I hear her pouting through the phone.

"I didn't get wasted, I had to sit through a stupid dinner with my mom's dumb husband and his brother." My eyes shifts toward my overly pink room, taking it all in like I do every day as a way to say goodbye if I don't make it back.

Everything's neatly arrange in their respective location from the notebooks on my desktop to my overflowing walk-in closet bursting into all the different colors to make this summer my most fashionable one ever. The early afternoon rays of the sun shining on every little corner plastering the perfect glow on the walls is rendering my room into the epitome of a little girl's heaven. It used to be mine, too, once upon a time.

My moment of serenity ends with the chirpy voice in the other end of the line. "Are you coming? You promised me you will help me get everything ready for the pool party, today?"

"If I said I was coming therefore I'm coming, don't rush me Cassie." I reprimand her but in fact I have no intention of going.

"But when are you coming? It starts at five, how are we going to get everything ready and get dress in two hours?"

"Cassie, I'm getting tired of your doubts. I said I was coming so be quiet and wait for me to get there." I hang up and plop on my bed my eyes fix on the ceiling without actually seeing it.

I feel rather than hear my bedroom door opening. I listen to someone's faint footsteps on the wooden floor as if they're avoiding making noises at all cost. I turn my head to find Darwin, still in his Pajamas, looking around my desk. His feather-like movement barely register in my ears in the dead silent room.

I slowly shift in my bed to get a better view of what he's doing. He opens the first drawer and place something in it then completely freezes. I close my eyes as soon as I see him turning toward me. I feel the distance closing between us, I silently pray that my mother would make one of her annoying interruptions about now but nobody shows up. My heart picks up its pace little by little until it's the only sound that my ears could detect in the room.

I feel the heat being emitted from the body standing in front of my bed then like magic, it's gone. My body releases the tension it had been building ever since it had caught a whiff of him at the door.

My eyes drift open. I scrutinize my surrounding carefully before I rise off the bed but I think I missed a spot. Just as I'm opening the drawer to see what he put there, someone comes up behind me making me jump back on my feet. My throat throbs with my high-pitched cry.