Protective voices

It's been a few hours since my mother left. Dinner passed and the night has come. I uploaded a couple of selfies on my instagram page before I'm left bored, again. The large dreamy room feels more like a prison than paradise during times like these. Times when there are no excuses to leave the house and I can't escape my own self.

I'm probably the only kid on earth who hates summers. It's not because I love either school nor the people in it but school gives me a purpose. It gives me something to think about other than myself. I don't have to dwell on my thoughts every minute of the day. I see summer as a complete waste of time. It's also the most dangerous period for me because my alone times triple. As much as I hate being around other people, they do have a role in me still breathing on this planet.

I hate to have to rely on others but I know I can't rely on myself. Those voices in my head, I know they're just a figment of my imagination but I can't break free from them for the life of me. I remember when I first started to hear them. They were so protective of me.

It was a few weeks after we moved in with Steven, after everything in my world had been turned upside down. I wanted my mom so bad but as a newlywed, most of her time was focused on pleasing Steven and establishing her new role as mistress of the house. Her everyday life consisted of shopping sprees, yelling at the construction workers who took too many breaks, and cooking disasters when she decided to take over the chef's place.

Even the nanny who was supposed to be taking care of me – because my mom was too busy to do it – didn't pay attention to me. Her time was occupied with robbing my mom blind and flirting shamelessly with Steven. I got to give it to him, though. He never once encouraged her but judging by the all of the broken stuff around the house the day before the nanny was fired, I'm guessing he didn't stop her either.

All that drama ever did for me was shrink me deeper in the corner my mom had put me in. Her mind was everywhere but on me. The only time I remember my mom mentioning me was in court when she and Steven were convincing the judge that I was better off with them instead of my dad.

My screams still echo in my mind, today. The pain of being reaped apart from my most beloved was one thing I do not want to relive. I was inconsolable for days even after my mom had redecorated my room into a fairytale land and bought me the most gorgeous gowns I have ever seen. It wasn't enough but she couldn't understand that. Steven had already replaced my dad in her life and she wanted the same thing for me. Dad had suddenly became the evil one in her mind.

With my innocent mind, I was still clueless on how things worked in the world. I never got why dad couldn't live with us anymore. Why did we have to move in with Steven? Weren't mommies and daddies supposed to live together forever just like Cinderella and prince charming?

When my mom dropped me off at my dad's apartment the next weekend, I was over the moon. I thought they would come back together and I would have my family back. I realized my mistake when my mom arrived at the door to get me back. I was crushed beyond repair.

That night was the first time I had heard the voices. They seemed so harmless, so loving.

"Hi, baby girl!" said a voice so sweet that no one could ever suspect the wickedness that was lurking behind it.

I quickly dried my tears away thinking it was my mom. I didn't want her to see me cry because she would end up crying too about how I loved dad more than her. No matter how hard I looked around the room, I couldn't identify the existence of a single human being in it.

Somebody laughed softly in my ears. The beautiful sound took away everything melancholic from the room and made me jiggle with glee. I turned around but there was nobody there. I ended up staring at bright pink and white wallpapers. Fear began to creep over my body.