Don't mess with me

"Oh, hi Rachel. I didn't know you were going to be here," Miss super happy remarks with an ear-to-ear smile on her face.

Ughh, it always make me want to vomit every times I see someone that happy. What's so good about life for someone to be so jubilant about it?

"And you are?" I ask her while trying to not make any eye contacts with Brandon.

"Laila," she says as if that's supposed to make everything clear. I keep looking at her with a blank face. "Laila Chase, we've been school mates since elementary school." Her hurt expression keeps deteriorating with each passing second. She actually looks offended that I don't recognize her. "We've met at the mall, yesterday."

"Still don't know who you are but to be honest I only remember people who have something that I want." My eyes automatically shifts over to Brandon but I quickly catch myself before she notices. He notices since he hasn't stop staring at me ever since I opened the door.

"Rachel, what are you still doing here?" Cassie badgers in wearing a bikini – if that could be called a bikini. "I thought you would be at the pool by now."

"Hey Cassie, what's up?" Miss sunshine turns to her with her usual happy-go-lucky smile.

"Laila, Brandon, you guys made it." She rushes them in.

I can't help but to take notice how he stays as far away from me as possible. He keeps watching me so I know he does remember me but why is he avoiding me? Especially after he wrote me that note. How is ignoring me making it up to me?

"I didn't think you would come," Cassie continues as she walks them outback.

I follow them as not to be left alone, again. We all know what happens when I'm left by myself.

"I kind of had to. Brandon was ready to kill me if we didn't come. It's been awhile since he's been into town so he wants to get reacquainted with everything pretty quickly."

"And where have you been all this time, Brandon?"

"Alaska," he answers flatly.

"Wow, I hear it's really cold out there. How did you survive in all that ice?"

"I wore sweaters and stayed inside." His monotonous voice hints his lack of interest in Cassie's game of twenty questions.

It's apparently the most hilarious conversation Miss Sunshine has ever heard, nonetheless, because she's simultaneously laughing her head off and gripping tighter onto him. I absentmindedly gag. Why did I even come here?

After countless of turns, I can finally feel the sun on my skin again. We make our way past the wooden table and chairs on the patio, through the crunchy wet grass, then, I finally drop myself on an emerald green beach chair in front of the blue water disturbed by overactive teenagers.

With one swing of my arms, I remove both the sweater and the sundress covering my bikini. I slip on my dark sunglasses to relax. It's harder than I thought with girls shrieking, boys laughing hysterically, and Usher screaming yeah around me. I pat the space next to me trying to find the bag I just place there but I couldn't. I begin to lift my body up to turn when somebody's shadow blocks the sun from my view.

"Hey dumbass, out of my way." I shift a little but the shadow follows me. Someone drops my phone with the earphones in my hand. I decide not to argue with whoever this is. He wants to play the Good Samaritan so I'll let him. The world needs more servers anyway.

Every single noises drown out as Beyoncé's sultry voice vibrates in my ear drums. I lose my mind, hypnotize by her dreamgirls' story but the shady figure in front of me makes it impossible to keep the spell alive.