Party for memories

A drink. My tongue is as dry as the Sahara desert right now. I need a drink ASAP. What on earth had possessed me to want to throw a party in this place? I haven't even gotten inside but everything in me trembles with pure fear. Gigantic goosebumps line up my skin as I walk up the steps of the cabin. The wooden steps crank under my feet's pressure. With each little noise, my spirit sinks a little deeper into desperation.

What made me think I could have a party here? If it wasn't for my insatiable thirst for pay back, I wouldn't be freaking out right now. I've done everything possible to avoid this place in the past ten years and finally here I am. I'm about to open a door I've slammed shut long ago just because of that man. Why? Just why couldn't I let things go? I let that one memory go – the one I shouldn't have – but after that I've always been just a web of grudges.

Secrets, so many secrets. That's what this cabin has been decorated with. Every little corner of it is hiding something but no one suspect it. Through the window, I see teenagers and grown-ups alike walk around, greeting each other like it's just another party. Can't they feel it, too? The sorrow, the hurt. It's all suffocating me.

"Rachel, come on. You're late." Cassie comes running up to me half way through the stairs. "Darwin is going to be here any minutes."

"He's not here yet?" So I'm the only one beating myself up. What if he doesn't show up? It wouldn't really surprise me since he's known for running away when the situation is no longer fun for him.

"No, but everybody else is. Come on," she drags me in.

As soon as the door opens, the memories come rushing. My face burns as if someone has just slapped me. I try to listen to the conversations but every sound is muffled as if I'm under water. My head begins to spin uncontrollably. What's happening to me?

"Rachel, are you okay?" I blink to see Cassie and little Miss Sunshine staring at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answer in a whisper so low that even my own ears have trouble detecting it.

Miss Sunshine places one cold palm on my forehead, "Are you sure? You look pale and you're burning up."

"I said I'm fine," I nearly shout as I swat her hand away from me. I can't believe the audacity of that girl. Who the hell she thinks she is?

"Why don't you go be with your boyfriend and leave us alone?" I grab Cassie and turn around to leave only to have her follow us.

"Brandon didn't want to come. I have no idea why. He was all up for it then he instantly shut down as soon as I told him where the party was."

That stops me. I should have known he wasn't going to come. Coward. It seems like I'm surrounded by cowards.

"I would say join us," a smile brightens her face, "but I wouldn't mean it so no, you can't join us."

I place a gentle hand on her forearm when her smile fades away, "I know it hurts now but trust me, it's for your own good. It's not safe to be around people who don't like you." I tilt my head toward Cassie.

She emits a large gasp and stomps away after throwing the dirtiest look at Cassie. You'd think people would learn not to always trust my word by now.

"What did you tell her? She looked like she wanted to skin me alive."

"Don't be so overdramatic Cassie, the girl obviously has a problem. This morning she called me to ask why I let you dress like a whore."

"She said that?" Cassie whines in my ears.

"Dear God!" I feign a shock expression, "I shouldn't have told you. I'm sorry Cassie, I tend to talk too much."

"No, I'm glad you told me," she sniffs back the tears.