Give all my secrets away

"I cannot believe you're even considering this," Sarah snaps. "I've taken care of you since you were a toddler. Now you want to give us up the moment that boy opens his arms for you? The same boy who left you to rot? Have you forgotten that?"

"I know I've called you stupid," Kenny continues, "but this is downright dumb. He's playing you. Why can't you see that?"

"Rachel, turn the car around now," Sarah's scream rings in my head. I tighten my sweaty grip on the steering wheel.

I'm determined to do this. I have to do this. My body oozes confidence until I see the hospital sign.

My foot falters off the gas pedal. My heart pounds in my chest with every inch closer to my doom.

"It's not late to go back,"Sarah says.

I glance at the gear stick. My hand hovers over it. With a slight move of my wrist, I can back out of here and no one will ever know.

I can runaway. They'll never notice. They'll never miss me.

There's a police car park near the entrance door. The guard and nurse I drugged are talking to the two officers. The guard doesn't look happy at all. He's still rubbing his neck at the spot where the syringe went through. His permanent scowl seems to run deeper into his skull now.

He's the first one to notice me. He quickly grab the attention of the other policemen. They approach me with their guns in hand.

"Get out of the car with your hands in the air," one of the police shouts.

Sarah growls, "Don't do it. We can still get you out."

I breathe out to calm my nerves. "I know." A tear scrolls down my face.

"What about us?" Sarah argues. "We've always been there for you. Have you ever stopped to think about what will happen to us if you do this?"

"I just...I-I just want to make it stop hurting." My hands shake when I grab the door handle. I have no energy to push it open.

"We can help. You don't need those people. Look at what they've done to you. They brainwashed you. Why can't you see that?"

"I said to get out of the car with your hands up," the officer orders. "Now."

I pull the key out the ignition and unhurriedly climb out of the car. After closing the door shut, I lift my hands in the air.

I feel numb. I feel caged. All the confidence has been drained out of me.

What am I doing?

I watch the guard walk up to me. He doesn't look thrilled to see me.

I stare at him. My feet stay firmly on the ground.

"You think you're smart, don't you?" he growls. "Let's see how much you like a whole week in isolation."

My breath hitches. Every ounce of courage I had in me pour in the ground.

A whole week by myself?!

"Selfish brat," Kenny spats at me as Carla comes to get me away from the guard.

She walks me inside the clinic. Curious eyes turn my way.

"Some of them have tried to escape, too," Carla explains. "In a way, you are a hero to them."

I snort.

She stops in front of the room. "Why did you come back?"

"Isn't it obvious," I laugh. "I'm crazy."