Sweet escape

Tonight is the night, I wake up thinking. I'm finally going to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, the soft touch of grass grazing my toes, and let cool air fill my lungs.

After two whole days and one sleepless night, I'm finally ready to make my meticulous plan become reality. Two whole days were spent in endless planning and trying to keep it from Daisy, who's always sneaking up on me at the worst moments. She has temporarily left Santa's pawn shop to be a Leprechaun.

I wish I was kidding about this.

The least they could have done was roomed me with someone on the softer side of crazy not a full on psycho.

I shrug it all away. Nothing can nor will ruin my mood, today.

I giddily chug down my breakfast, not even paying attention to its blandness. Then, with only a couple of scoops left, I get up to throw it away when I trip on my own two feet and the rest of my thick oatmeal splashes on a nurse's uniform.

"Oh my God," I cry, "I'm so sorry. It was an accident."

She looks at the mess sliding down her shirt. There's a big circle left in its place.

"It's fine," she replies. "It's just clothes. I was gonna have to go wash it either way."

"Can I help?" I offer. I don't even know the first thing about washing clothes.

"No, thanks. It's almost time for our morning exercises. Go, I'll take care of this," she mentions toward the mess on her shirt.

I walk out of the lunch room with unsteady steps and wait by the nearest bathroom. I go inside as soon as I see another girl gets in.

I wash my face with lukewarm water then dry it with the cheap rigid paper towel. My face feels like it's been rubbed with hot sand.

You'd think they would buy decent toiletry necessities with all the money they're extorting out of our families.

I look at myself into the large mirror facing me. I have definitely lost some weight since I came here. My collarbones are more prominent under my shirt. My cheekbones stand up in my face, pulling at the saggy skin under my red eyes. My skin has lost its glow. Instead of its usual splendid caramel latte tone, it has taken the appearance of new formed mud made with the crappy red dirt of a baseball field.

A flush comes from the occupied stall behind me before the brunette I came in with appears out of it.

I smile sweetly at her. The muscles are stiff. It feels so unnatural to be smiling at a complete stranger. The girl blushes a deep shade of pink before returning my smile.

Crazy people are weird.

"Do you want to play a game with me?" I ask her with no preambles.

She casts me a look that says she thinks I lost my marbles, "Here? Now?"

"Yes, it'll be fun. I promised."

"I don't supposed I can get rid of you without saying yes," she states with a defeated sigh. "What is it then?"

"Let's play dress up," my eyes spark up in excitement.

Slow down, Rachel. You might as well be on your way to crazy town.

"Dress up as what exactly?" she gives me a skeptical look while washing her hands.

"Each other," I giggle.

"You really have been drinking the kool aid, haven't you?" she dries her hands on her jacket, not bothering to reach for the paper towels.