Friends for never

Mom doesn't deny it. She looks over at me for one second and tells me to deal with it before going back to retouching her makeup.

For someone who cares so much about appearance, I thought she'd have a bigger issue with me going to therapy. I guess this means that Steven is not against the idea. I should have known. That man would do anything to get me out of his way.

"Spa day!" Cassie declares when she pushes my bedroom door open without my consent.

My phone falls out of my hand. I struggle to bend over the couch to reach it.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I reply, irritated at the breach of my privacy.

She grabs the phone for me. "My dad paid for the both of us to get pampered up the whole day at that new spa that just opened last week." Her bubbly attitude is intoxicating. It's knocking my breath away.

I sit up, "I still don't understanding the reason behind you bargaining inside my room."

Her smile drops, "Your mom said I could."

"This is not my mother's room, is it?"

"I know but..."

She begins to retreat back toward the door when I call her back, "I didn't mean go, you're already in." I also would never miss the opportunity for a free spa.

"I'm so excited," she says as she hops on the couch. Her knees bump with me hip. I wince at the pain caused by her outburst of gaiety. I used to say that happiness hurts,now it's being taking to the literal sense. "Last day of the summer, there's still so much I want to do. What if we go to the beach and get a nice tan after we finish at the spa?"

"Cassie, I'm black. How am I supposed to get a tan?" And I don't think my brain can bear spending an entire day with you.

"Well, I...I...mmm..." she stutters.

The corners of my lips lift into a smile, the girl is so innocent, "Relax, it was a joke. I like bathing in the sun but I don't think it's the right time with my cast and all."

"Ok, great. Spa day it is!" She rejoices.

I force a piece of toast down my throat before Cassie's self-control cracks and I'm being drag out of the house. A limousine stands proudly in front of the front door with an old man in a black suit next to it. He helps us get in the car. Regardless of how hard it is for me to confess it, I'm the one who mostly needed the assistance.

"Are you excited?" Cassie chirps once we're settled comfortably inside the car. She smiles brightly across from me, leaving the largest seat for me and my bad leg. My heart sinks for about half a second because I know I wouldn't do that if the roles were reversed.

"Sure," I respond while gulping down one of the many cans of coke beside us. "Why is there only kids' drink in here?"

"Oh, dad doesn't want me to drink alcohol in the car."

"And?" I move awkwardly with my casted arm to dig inside the candy pile. "I don't see him here."

"It's his car so he might see it if I bring some in here."

I roll my eyes at the overdramatic girl fidgeting with her badly manicured fingers - maybe not so badly manicured. "That's why lying was created, Cassie."

"There are no secrets between my dad and me," she whispers.

A booming laughing erupts out of me. I laugh so much that it becomes hard for me to breath. I hold on to my screaming midriff as I try to put a stop to my laughter.