05: In Love

I woke up on Saturday morning to the sound of my siblings fighting over the bacon at the breakfast table. I opened my eyes and almost screamed when I saw my dad glaring down at me. 

"Are you alright, son? You kept asking for Matt to come back in your sleep." My dad asked. 

"Yeah, Dad. I think I dreamt we were being chased by some grad school debt collector or something," I laughed a little. He did too. 

"That Matt sure is a good friend to you. Your mother and I offered to come get you and take care of you at home, but Matt insisted that you be at least close to school so you can get your work done. He thought being in a less crowded house might help you out, too. Which, looking at how your brothers and sisters are fighting over 3 strips of bacon, might make sense." He smiled.

"Yeah, he has been really good. I couldn't ask for a better friend." I said to my dad. 

"That's something to cherish, son. A good friend like that doesn't come along so often. I will get you some food so you don't have to get up."

I laid on the couch thinking to myself about what Dad just said. My friendship with Matt is so strong and so rare. Part of me thought this weird emotion I was feeling would go away after a good night's sleep, but it is very much still there: love. Being in love. With Matt. When I was falling asleep I wanted him to be here cuddled with me on the couch. When I woke up I wanted to be in his arms. I am still partly in a state of shock of the fact that I am thinking these thoughts about Matt. I mean, it's Matt. I know everything disusting there is to know about him. We have burped together, farted next to each other, I have been puking in front of him for the past three months. It isn't like there is anything mysterious about him. He's just Matt. And I love that. Part of me thinks I need to talk to someone about it. I don't know if I am ready to talk to Matt about these feelings. He would never abandon me over being honest with him, but I feel like it would definitely make things awkward. 

"Hey big brother," my sister Jess sat next to me on the couch. She is a senior in high school and is actually going to the University of Virginia in the fall. "Is there anything I can do to help? I know when I call you say you're fine, but I also know you're my oldest brother and you don't want to seem weak in front of all of us. I don't want you to hesitate to ask for help though. You know I would drive over there and take care of you in a heart beat." 

Just as she said that, Matt walked into our house. I looked at him, and then over at Jess.

"Thanks Jess, but I think Nurse Matt has got me covered. Like a hawk." I laughed and so did Jess. Matt smiled at both of us. 

"I just wanted to come over and see how you are feeling. I am used to knowing all the time and I woke up and just got a little worried. You're doing okay? Did you sleep well?" Matt asked. 

"Wow, he really does have me beat. Matt why are you getting an MBA? You should be some sort of  nanny." Jess joked. Her and Matt always picked on each other in a playful way. 

"Oh, har har." Matt looked at her, then on me. "How are you Jack?"

"I'm fine, just a little out of it, as usual. Thanks for the McFlurry last night." I said. 

"McFlurry? Where was mine? I take my comments back, you're an awful nanny for not bring me one," Jess fake pouted. Matt shoved her to the side and sat next to me. 

"You're welcome, anything to help my number one patient," he joked and look at Jess sarcastically. 

"Matt!" My mom just noticed him. "Staying for breakfast?"

"Sure, Mrs. Richards! I love your cooking." Matt smiled and looked over at me. He was making fun of how I said his cooking was better than my mom's.