Ch. 15

No... Joe had actually told me no, I couldn't stay. This was all so sudden. He wasn't even going to try and fight Billy Sharp's dad in court. Why would he when I was making him so unhappy.

"Morgan, come out right now," Joe said with more edge that confirmed this was not a request. I could hear my heart thundering in my chest. This was unbelievable. How could one conversion with one woman make him throw me out like this. Would he even let me stay the night? He wouldn't just throw me out, would he?

"Alright Morgan, I'm moving this couch," Joe warned as he tilted the couch I was under up, leaving me fully exposed. My fight or flight instincts took over and I bolted as quickly as I could. If I could make it to the human bathroom in my room maybe I could stay there. That would be out of his way. My running was short lived when one of Joe's massive hands crashed down in front of me. Seconds later I was enveloped in Joe's hand and lifted up to meet his face.

"Where are you going?" Joe asked with an expression that was a combination of confusion, irritation, and concern.

"Y-you s-aid I couldn't stay," I trembled. Upon hearing the tremble in my voice Joe immediately loosened his hold on me to position me in his palm, rather than having me clutched in his fist.

"Yeah, under the couch sweetheart. You couldn't stay under the couch."

"S-so I don't have to leave?"

"What?" Joe asked. He seemed completely shocked by my question. He brought me closer to his chest as he stood to his full height before sitting on his usual armchair across from the couch. "Why do you think- How long were you under there?"

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

"So I take it you heard my conversation with Sarah? How much did you hear?"

"All of it, I-I think," I admitted.

"You were under the couch the whole time?"

I shook my head yes in reply.

"Why Morgan? Sarah sat on that couch! You could've been hurt!"

"I wish I hadn't heard any of it," I confessed.

"Believe me, I wish you hadn't either," Joe responded in a dry tone.

"Do you not want me here?" I finally asked.

"What? You live here. This is your home. Our home. What's going on in that head?" Joe said as he lifted me higher so we were fully face to face.

"I just mean, If I'm causing you, you know..."

"Don't listen to a word that woman said,"

"But what about the stuff about Billy's dad? What if they don't let me,"

"Stop. That's not happening. I will never let that happen, understand?" Joe assured me. "You understand that, right?"

"But, you don't have to keep all the stuff around for me. We can probably even move my kitchen to my room," I suggested.

"Morgan, I'm trying to stay calm here but it's hard when you're literally letting an overheard conversation from a stranger make you think like this."

"But she said I make you unhappy,"

"And who the he1l is she to tell me how I feel?" Joe retorted.

"I-I'm sorry" I apologized trying to calm Joe down.

"Sarah didn't even ask me how I was doing. And she had the nerve to bring your mother up and not even ask how I've been dealing with her death. Unbelievable... she came into my house and had the nerve to speak like that!" Joe ranted with anger that made me very nervous. But can you blame me, the guy's a gazillion times bigger than me and I'm sitting in his hand while he erupts like this. I don't think I've ever seen Joe this angry. He's usually so soothing, so gentle. This angry Joe was anything but soothing.