Ch. 40

10 days had passed since I said goodbye to Joe, and temporarily moved in with Daria and Parisa. I was still finishing out the school year virtually, so I'd been spending the majority of the week in what was beginning to feel like my basement apartment. I'd thought coming to live with some foster family would have been horrible, but it seems I've truly lucked up with having Daria as my guardian. Daria is one of the kindest, most wonderful humans I've ever met. She is patient, kind, and always seems to have the best advice. A mother's advice. While I still miss Joe every second of every day, I'm certain I'm only able to bear this time away because I'm in such good hands with Daria.

As I climbed the stairs to join Daria and Parisa for dinner I paused when I heard yelling. I held my breath when I realized the yelling was coming from Parisa. I'd been here for over a week and I hadn't heard Parisa much louder than a whisper, until now.

"No no NOOO! It's not fair! I need to be on the team. All of my friends are part of the team!"

"I know sweety, but we just have to cut back a little right now. As soon as we can afford to get you back in soccer we will," Daria replied, clearly trying to calm Parisa.

"If Daddy were here, he'd let me do soccer. I WISH DADDY WAS HERE!"

"I know sweetheart. We will figure things out,"

"I NEED DADDY! HE WOULD FIGURE EVERYTHING OUT,"

"Parisa, I know you miss Daddy. Believe me, I miss him every day, but you may not under any circumstance raise your voice at me like that,"

I finally peered around the corner and caught sight of a very upset Parisa, on the brink of bursting. Her lower lip quivered as she ran from the kitchen to her bedroom. I saw Daria's crestfallen expression making her appear to be questioning whether she should go to Parisa or give her space. It was also at this moment that I must have stopped holding my breath for suddenly Daria realized I was standing at the top of the basement's staircase.

"Oh goodness, Morgan, I didn't see you there. Um, perfect timing. I was just setting the table for dinner,"

"Is everything okay with Parisa?"

"Yes. I mean, it will be I suppose. She's just upset, because she has to drop out of soccer,"

"Oh man..."

"Things are just tighter around here since we lost my husband, Sid. We have so many medical bills we still haven't paid. We couldn't even afford a proper funeral,"

"I'm so sorry to hear that,"

"It is what it is I suppose..."

"I could go get Parisa for dinner and check on her if you'd like?" I offered, which seemed to brighten Daria's expression.

I felt horrible hearing about Daria and Parisa's money struggles. It's hard enough losing a loved one, but then having to lose even more stability or comforts that could get you through a time like this... the thought makes my heart hurt. It also made me grateful that I didn't have to experience anything like this after Mom died. Joe is one of the richest, if not THE richest giants on the planet. If I wanted to do any extracurricular he'd just make it happen. If I needed anything for school or for fun even, he'd buy it. He1l, Joe even renovated and integrated an entire high school just because I was going there. While Joe and I have never discussed money, I'm making a vow that if... no WHEN, I am back with Joe again, I will see if there's a way he can help Daria and Parisa out financially.

I knocked on Parisa's door, before letting myself in. I saw her sitting on her bed holding onto a pink teddy bear.

"Hey Parisa. I think it's about dinner time,"