Ch. 26

I swear you could hear a pin drop following River's totally innocent question. It was clear everyone in the room knew the answer to River's question, and were not wanting to indulge her with any kind of answer.

"River!" Blue all but screeched, making River jump and look up at her Mom with wide eyes. "Baby I think it would be really nice if you shared your dessert with Morgan? How does that sound?"

This subject change worked like a charm, and River leapt up from her cushion next to me, and ran to Blues awaiting palm.

"I'll be right back. I have to pick out something special for Morgan," River explained to the whole table, making us all chuckle.

Once River and Blue exited, Thomas broke the silence that had lingered for that extra long couple of seconds.

"Well Morgan, it turns out I'm not sure who's more fond of you, my son or my daughter?" Thomas ended with a light chuckle. However, the other two men at the table were much more tense following this statement.

Finally I broke up that awkward moment by speaking to Trent, "Well, our first interaction makes a lot more sense now," I smiled up at Trent.

Surprisingly Joe, who'd been rather quiet for him during dinner, joined the conversation.

"You know, I don't think I know about your first interactions. How'd you two become friends anyway?" Joe asked, making sure to refer to us as friends.

"Technically I did tell you Joe... So you know the first day of school how someone caught me in their hat?" I asked as Joe slowly shook his head, seeming to hate revisiting the subject of the first day of school's grabgate 2k40. "Well... that was Trent."

"Wow. I didn't realize. I suppose I'm forever in your debt now Trent," Joe responded sincerely.

"That's not necessary. I mean, you see now I kind of took it personally. Man, if someone tried to pull something like that on my sister..."

"Let's continue to ask the Gods for a more accepting world by the time River gets to co-ed school,"Thomas spoke, locking eyes with Joe. I think at this moment the rugged, hip Thomas Reed just saw straight into the soul of the CEO mogul of Fuse.

We all shook our heads in agreement.

"Where does River go to school?" I asked toward Trent and Thomas.

"We're going to try again with school for River next year," Thomas answered. Before Trent explained further.

"She was supposed to do Kindergarten this year, but she was having a hard time with the separation, and well it's not so easy for Mom or Dad to do any type of gentle separation with her at a human school," Trent explained.

"Oh man, I never thought about that. Yeah, that makes sense. I had the worst time separating from my Mom when I was little." I explained.

"How did you get past that? We didn't have this same anxiety with Trent, so we're definitely in uncharted territory here,"

"Umm... I mean, I do think my mom used to sit in the back of the class at first, but then once I'd made friends, and my friends didn't have their parents there, it was easier."

"Hmm, interesting. That makes sense."

"Too bad River doesn't have any friends yet," Trent half mumbled looking down at his now empty plate.

"I don't know about that Trent, I think she thinks she's found a minimum of one new friend tonight," Thomas joked.

"I think she likes you too Joe!" I added.