Chapter 31 | maeve needs somebody to blame. somebody who isn't her.

------------------> "WHAT WERE HIS LAST WORDS?" Maeve voiced aloud, not averting her eyes from Bruce

"B-Bombarda," the boy managed to say through his tears. He buried his head deeper into his mother's embrace. "H-he trapped the Death Eater under rocks."

"How did he die?"

"The killing curse," the boy gasped out, his body convulsing with sobs.

"That's enough questions," his mother said, holding her son in a grip that left little room to move as if she was afraid he'd disappear at any moment.

Maeve mutely nodded. She pressed her hand to his still heart again, tears falling down her cheeks in a never-ending stream. The red-haired witch patted her back comfortingly, offering condolences which Maeve's mind didn't register.

"Why is everyone standing here when there's so much to do?" The wind carried the voice of Amelia Bones, Head Auror as she marched into the bathroom, only to halt at the sight that she found. Surprise clothed her face at the figure sitting beside a dead body. "Maeve?"

"Hi, Amelia," said Maeve, not looking at her.

Amelia approached the Auror and asked lowly: "Does he have a pulse?"

The Auror shook his head sadly.

Amelia pursed her lips and nodded her head. "Go help the others. I'll take care of this," she instructed, before adding in a still lower voice, "And bring two healers here to transport the corpse."

"Yes, boss," the Auror saluted and left.

Amelia then focused her attention on the victims in the room. "It'll be still another couple of minutes for the anti-apparition wards to be taken down, so we've set up a healer's tent in front of Ollivander's. Let's not stay here any longer than necessary."

"Yes, thank you," responded the red-haired witch, who Amelia recognised from her time back at Hogwarts as Molly Prewett. She withdrew her hand from Maeve and hugged the child she carried while two red-haired boys hid behind her. Molly looked downwards at Maeve's frozen form. "I don't think she wants to leave and I...I don't want either of them to be alone."

Amelia advanced towards Maeve cautiously before gently helping her stand up. "Let's get you healed up, Maeve."

"But, Bruce—"

"We'll keep him safe," interjected one of the healers who arrived at the scene.

At that, Maeve's eyes sparked with fury. She looked at her cousin with wet eyes. "Where were the Aurors?"

Amelia stiffened and then turned her head away. "There was an issue we had to take care of."

"For more than an hour when you knew about the attack before it would occur?"

"I'm not saying we handled the issue well," admitted Amelia begrudgingly but Maeve looked at her blankly.

"My source who informed me about this attack nearly died," she said slowly. "My best friend who stayed with me actually died and all you can say is that you couldn't do your job of protecting people because there was an issue?"