Chapter Fourteen: Testimony

You stare at Alcina, wide-eyed, before glancing back at the heavy-looking manacles. She hands them to Bela, who turns, a sickening smile creeping along her bloodied cheeks, and steps towards you.

You instinctively step back, only to find yourself knocking into Cassandra and Daniela, who stand behind you, blocking you from moving any further.

Bela is in front of you now, unfastening the cuffs, readying them to be placed onto your wrists.

"Hands," she growls in a low voice.

You find you can't move, your arms feel frozen to your sides in fear. You weren't ready to give up this last piece of freedom. You look back to Alcina, eyes pleading, your confusion palpable as your heart begins to hammer with anxiety.

She regards you, cooly, her lips pressed into a thin line, jaw hard. You realise, with a sinking feeling, that there was no sympathy to be found in those deep yellow eyes which look down at you.

"Remember our agreement, maiden. Do exactly as you are told," she reminds you, her tone unwavering.

Your mouth goes dry, but you manage a small nod. Visibly trembling, you raise your wrists out in front of you, though it goes against your each and every instinct which right now told you to run.

Running was the reason you were in this situation in the first place, you think, as Bela closes a cuff around your left wrist, then your right, snickering as she does so.

The metal is cold and your arms prickle with goosebumps, making you shiver. Bela gives the manacles an unduly rough tug, though you both know there is no way the thick metal would ever give way. It jolts you, uncomfortably, making you gasp. She laughs, before turning back to Alcina.

"She's ready, mother."

"Good. Let's go, pet. Daughters, keep away from the front door," Alcina instructs.

You notice that indeed, the three women back away from the doorway, hissing and chittering as they do so, like frightened animals.

Alcina beckons you to follow her, which you do, though the strange new weight of the manacles around your wrists makes walking forward feel foreign now.

You exit the castle, descending the front steps just feet behind your mistress. You notice a black, vintage car, waiting outside for you both. The engine is running and the headlights bathe the snow covered ground in an unnatural orange light. A driver exits the vehicle, making her way to the doors at the back of the car, opening them to usher you in. Alcina obliges, stooping down low in order to sit comfortably in the back seat. You follow the driver and take your place on the opposite side.

The silence is heavy as you both sit, waiting for the driver to resume their place at the wheel and begin the journey. You look to Alcina, but her gaze is fixed on the castle, looking out of the window and away from you. You huddle closer to the door by your side, feeling overwhelmed and no longer able to rely on her as a source of comfort. Once again, she had flipped from hot to cold, suddenly holding you at arms length without the slightest hesitation.

You feel nauseous as the car pulls away, your manacled hands laying heavy in your lap.

You watch as the castle grounds pass you by, until you find yourselves out on a twisty rural road, heading further away from the village and deeper into the desolate miles of woodland that populated this part of Romania.

"You're doing well, sweet girl."

You tense, wondering if you'd imagined the words, murmured so softly. You look to see Alcina is looking at you now, thoughtfully.