Chapter Twenty-nine: Feather

You squeeze Daniela's hand comfortingly, though you feel as though you yourself may pass out from fear any moment now.

Stepping from the darkness of the far hallway, is Alcina, followed closely by Bela and Cassandra. All three fix you with accusatory, contemptuous glares.

"Where is she?" Alcina snaps, "Where is the child?"

You want to shrink back, to run for the door, but you force yourself to stand your ground.

"She's back with her family," you say, voice trembling though you maintain your resolve, "where she should be."

Alcina's face quickly turns from anger to what you suspect could be a glimmer of fear, her eyes widening.

"Daniela? Is this true?" she growls, her whole body tensing.

Daniela nods, chittering nervously.

"Then you have both doomed us," Alcina says finally, her shoulders slumping, the anger leaving her, now seemingly replaced with a wave of hopelessness.

She looks away and you watch as Cassandra and Bela huddle closely to her, protectively, whilst shooting both you and Daniela daggers through their icy glares.

You had expected her to be furious. This somehow feels worse.

You step forward, wanting so badly to reassure her that it was all going to be okay, but Daniela holds you back. You glance to her and she shakes her head warningly.

"Mother, I think Y/n is right. Why do we have to take orders from Miranda? You're far stronger," Daniela offers, hopefully.

"Far stronger," hisses Cassandra, in agreement, her fingers gently clutching at her mother's dress.

Alcina glowers down at her from her towering vantage point.

"You as well, Cassandra? You agree with their hideously reckless actions?" she challenges.

Cassandra hisses, considering.

"No, mother. Not their actions. You are stronger than Mother Miranda though. She should be more grateful for your devotion to her."

"Far more grateful," Bela cannot help but chime in.

Alcina rolls her eyes and strides away from the pair, leaving them standing awkwardly and unsure, sharing a silent look between one another.

You also can only watch as Alcina resignedly sits on a nearby chez lounge, sighing. Her eyes glaze over a little as she begins watching the flames of the fireplace as they flicker and spark.

"She's never going to forgive me for this. I cannot believe I have let her down this badly... that I, her most loyal child, have failed her now, when she needed me the most," she laments, holding her head in her hands.

Bela disappears for a moment, only to reappear with her cigarette holder. She quickly ignites the cigarette using the fire, before turning with the lit smoke in hand, which she offers to Alcina wordlessly. Alcina takes a long drag, shutting her eyes for a moment as she considers her predicament.

"I should kill you, you know," she murmurs, looking up at you suddenly, "both of you," she adds, glancing to Daniela, who hugs your arm for support, a small gasp escaping her throat.

"Alcina, I'm really sor-" you begin.

"I don't want to hear it," she snaps, "you betrayed me, Y/n. I never thought you capable of such an egregious transgression."

"I wasn't betraying you, I was trying to protect you," you protest, "from making a horrific mistake you could not take back for the sake of that vile woman!"