Chapter Nineteen: Heart

"Mother, she's waking up!"

You groan, shifting a little. You remember being lifted into the car and maybe the first five minutes of the journey, before succumbing entirely to the sedative and your relief to be back with Alcina, which caused you to pass out into a deep and restful sleep.

What if it had all been a dream? What if when you open your eyes you'll find yourself back in that painfully shut off room, still chained to the bed?

"Bloodbag!"

It's Daniela's voice, filled with the same giddy excitement you knew so well.

You open your eyes to see her leaning over you by the bed - Alcina's bed. You feel a wave of utter solace wash over you as you realise you are back in her bedchamber, where you finally could feel safe again.

Daniela squeals with excitement as you blink away the sleep from your eyes and pulls you into a hug.

You wince, she's so much stronger than she looks, and the gesture makes your stomach tense. Yet, you find, surprisingly, it's nice to see her again.

"Gentle, Daniela. And don't call her that."

It's Alcina.

She approaches the bed as Daniela releases you, Cassandra and Bela at either side of her. You're surprised to see Bela looking concerned for you, her brow raised slightly in worry. Cassandra smiles when your eyes meet and for the first time, it's friendly, rather than malicious.

Then lastly, there's her. Towering above you, gazing down upon you, her eyes filled with an uncertainty the likes of which you had never seen in her before. Her hand reaches to you, moving your hair behind your ear and stroking it lightly, her touch incredibly soft and painstakingly gentle. You wanted to nothing more than to melt into her caress, which makes you feel more safe and at ease than you have ever felt before.

"Silly pet. You shouldn't have stood in that cretin's way. Not for a bottle of wine. You are so much more important," she murmurs quietly.

"Did you get it back from him? Did I close the skylight in time?" you ask, feeling more awake now.

"Oh, we got it back from him," smiles Cassandra darkly.

"Cassandra and I managed to... apprehend him, whilst Daniela kept you from bleeding out," Bela confirms.

You look at Daniela. The daughter that had seemed the wildest, the most blood-crazed. The one you had always been most wary of. The idea that she had saved you in your weakest moment filled you with gratitude - as well as a little guilt for feeling so apprehensive of her this whole time. You had misjudged her, certainly.

"Thank you so much, you saved me," you smile to Daniela.

She returns it, and the flash of her teeth against her bloodied mouth no longer disturbs you, you find.

"Anything for our favourite bloodbag," she grins.

"Daniela!" Alcina chastises.

You laugh a little at the once cruel nickname turned twisted term of endearment.

You want to sit up now, to face them all properly. You shift.

"Slowly," Alcina warns, voice tinged with disquietness.

You find it hard to believe she is being so openly concerned for you, but it makes your heart flutter in the best of ways all the same.