Cinderella Man [boyxboy love story] Chapter Twenty-Two

AN: Hi, guess what, that's John in the picture.  He's so handsome. :D  Anyway, please vote and comment and enjoy please.  Oh, and follow.

***

Chapter Twenty-Two 

Tomorrow was the party.  I gaped at the list of people my father invited, then gulped as I looked at the hopeful expression on my father's face, "This is a lot of people, Dad."

        "They're even some people from the local colleges are on the list, so you can make a case to going to them.  I've even got a professor from American Academy of Dramatic Arts and a director from Columbia University as well," he told me, with a big grin.

        "No kidding?" I bit my lip.

      "Yeah, always think ahead," he nodded and then sighed, "I really wished you applied, but maybe if they like you, they'll make a special place for you."

        "Oh," I smacked my lips, "goodie."

            I waited for a long moment, and my father caught on that I wasn't feeling it, he turned away before placing the list on a nearby table, "You okay, John?"

             "I'm just..."  I don't want to embarrass you.  I looked down to the ground before forcing a smile, "I'm okay, just nervous, that's all."  I felt my mother's necklace around my neck - gripping it until my knuckles turned white - and then leaned against the wall.  I looked away and stared at the flickering light above us.  It went out for a second and then made a buzzing sound before clicking back on.

            "Don't be, everyone likes you, John," he told me, honestly.

            I stared at him, blandly, "Yeah, sure."

            "People get annoyed, but they think you're charming.  You're a lot like your mother," he said softly.  I stared at him and he smiled, "Sorry."

            "You don't talk about her," I told him, softly.

            "I feel as if I'm disrespecting her if I talk about her," he replied.

            "Why were you divorcing?" I asked.

           He stiffened but then sighed, releasing his breath and his posture softened, "I think we just didn't see each other and we changed, and soon we became strangers.  And we realized we weren't the same person we fell in love with.  She used to be so... free, she loved art.  She loved to smile.  Then she... wanted to be secure, and that meant she always had to be organized and black and white.  I wanted to make new friends, she wanted to keep the old ones.  I wanted to buy vacation homes and cars, and she wanted to make what we had already work.  The person I became was someone she didn't like, and I didn't love the person she became."

            "Why didn't you try to make it work?" I asked.

            "We did," he frowned, "but I think we felt so much resentment towards each other already that it didn't last long."

            "Oh," I said softly.

           "John, if you ever fall in love, remember don't let go.  Don't just give up.  Love is worth every blood, sweat, and tear you put into it," he muttered, gripped my shoulder and rocked me back and forth.  He exited the room and I stood there for a while, looking at him.

            Then I pushed off the wall and was turned when I bumped into Damian.  He grinned at me and then looked down, "I didn't know when to come in, I heard the conversation and it just... was a little deep."