Cinderella Man [boyxboy love story] Chapter Twenty-Three (Part 1)

Author's Note: Hi, this is the first part to this chapter.  And I recommend to listen to the song as you read, because it made an impact to this story.  I'm a firm Skylar Grey fan and I was happy to find out she was in the album of Fifty Shades of Grey, which I bought and really love.  LISTEN TO THE SONG WHILE OR AFTER READING, I really think it's such a great song.

Dedicated: Hi, this is someone who stepped to home plate and wanted me to make sure John ends with Damian... I feel like I might be on her side...  But we'll see on how it'll go!!!  Plus, go and read her story How to Be a Girl.  It's extremely cute.

***

Chapter Twenty-Three

The room was filled with people, so was the room next to it, so was the room next to that one, and the hall adjoining all these rooms had people travelling one way and the other, hand with drinks or making small talk with their friends.  There was a professor from a college, a director from another, some partners from companies, some actors, some actresses, some artists and entertainers, there were some people who committed to design.  Though, it was obvious that some were there simply because they heard Owen from Royal Parade - the known homophobic guitarist - was coming out in the Fierce home, to celebrate him uniting with the late, beautiful Courtney Fierce's only son.

            Though the party listed was semi-casual, it was obvious that most didn't understand "semi".  Cocktail dresses, black-tie, designer shoes, diamond and gold hung from every pale, slender neck.  Three waiters, all dressed in their finest, passed appetizers off the table where fine food was served.  The house seemed larger... emptier... despite the fact at every corner there were curious eyes and fake smiles.

            Three weeks ago, this house felt like it was always empty and shallow.  But now it felt like it was up to neck in water I was destined to drown.  The funniest thing?

            Three weeks ago feels like forever ago.

            I could see myself from where I stood in a mirror hanging on the wall on the opposite side of the room.  Dressed in a nice button up shirt, black tie, black dress pants, black shoes.  My hair slicked back.  Purplish bags hung under my once blue eyes, but somehow they seemed more grey.  My skin was pale.  I looked like I was a corpse of who I once was.

            I noticed someone was standing next to me.  The way the eyes were staring at me, I knew who it was, "Yes, Owen?"

            "You look sick, are you going to be able to stick through it?"

            I looked at him.  He was always handsome, but he had something glint in his eyes that made him looking almost charming.  He grinned at me, and though I almost cracked a smile, I couldn't muster it.

            "I'm a bit worried about Damian," I mumbled.

            "He doesn't remember it anymore," Owen said quietly, "He must only remember when he's drunk.  And lucky for you, he also doesn't remember professing his undying love to you."

            "He's a light-weight, I suppose," I muttered.  He looked at me over his shoulder and frowned, probably sensing my discomfort and lacking in everything I used to be.  Thankfully, he doesn't question it or bring it up.

            "He's always been that way.  It's the way his brain works; a defense mechanism," Owen explained, then finally looked away from me.  He scanned the crowd, "We're leaving next week.  We'll be going on tour."