Summer Job - Louis

AU: they boys are all friends that work at a swimming pool together as lifeguards
Harry & Liam: 17
Niall, Zayn, & Louis: 18

Louis' POV
Yet another early morning to the pool with Harry (who slept over last night - just movies and cuddles you dirty minds). Even at 7:30 in the morning, it's absolutely boiling out; a recipe for disaster. It doesn't help that the cold pizza and coffee I had for breakfast is just kinda sitting in my stomach while I run around getting ready for opening.

"Babe, did you bring water?" Harry calls across the pool, cupping his hands around his mouth.

"Yeah, I already put it in my chair, why?" I reply in the same tone.

"I forgot mine. Can we share today?" My eyes can't help but roll themselves playfully.

"Sure thing, love!" I gave him a thumbs up as I agreed to sharing my precious, beloved water. I can always refill it at the cooler later.

Zayn and Niall nearly scare the shit outta me when I went back inside to grab my whistle. They were sitting in the corner of the fucking room and jumped out from behind a cardboard box when I came in, the little shits.

"OI! WHATTHEFUCK?!" It was a natural reaction. Honestly.

"Awww. We thought you were Liam." Niall pouted, his Irish accent thick in the wee hours of the morning. "He shrieks like a girl — I mean you nearly gave me half the fright we gave you but his is funnier."

Zayn was still in stitches laughing at my reaction. Probably had a lovely salad with his breakfast. I like to keep my judgements to myself this early in the morning. No use causing a fight.

"Alright. Alright!" I waved my arms about in hopes of calming the two but decided to just leave the room. I snatched mine and Harry's whistles off of their designated hooks and strode toward my first chair spot.

"Here," I passed the green-eyed one his shiny little noisemaker with a small wink.

+++

So the pool opened at 8 like usual; it's now 9:45 and in the time that I've been working, two kids have fallen after running around, one tried to swim in the deep end unauthorized, and a gaggle of freshmen girls tried to pull me. But the cherry on top of it all, note the sarcasm, is how fucking hot it is.

I honestly feel kind of gross. Not only is it nearly 37 degrees, but I got what we call the bad chair day. My rotation of seating during both of my shifts is always in direct sun. Fuck my life. And to add insult to injury, my stomach is feeling a bit unsettled.

We blew our whistles to signal "Adult Swim" and hopped off our chairs once everyone was out. "Haz, where did you put the water?" I practically whined.

"Your next chair," he beamed proudly. It was sweet, especially considering the fact that our chair positions changed every day and sometimes he got confused. But today was not the day for sweet gestures.

Without much restraint, I let out a heavy sigh and pushed past him to retrieve the drink and relax a bit before getting into position for another hour of sitting. "Thanks, love," I mumbled pretty meekly.

I didn't miss how his face fell, and it made me feel worse. Although, maybe it was because I was starting to feel a bit sick. But I need water soon or everything is going to go downhill.

Five minutes later and were climbing back into our "lookout posts" (as Liam likes to call them). I felt like shit. Drinking water made it worse (sorry for brushing you off over nothing, Harry) and now I'm trapped in this metal seat for an hour. Fan-fucking-tastic.