too close for comfort

this is larry kinda bc that's who is sick but it's actually niall centric. lolz enjoy

CW: vomit, description of panic attack

Our bus broke down. That's just lovely. Now, we have to ride in a van, cramped together for about twelve hours of driving to the next location. We're meant to be spending the night in a hotel anyway, so it's not like we were planning to sleep on the bus. But we were so used to having all of the space on the bus to stretch out while driving for hours. 

"Well, this is pretty shit, but it'll be fine lads," Paul says apologetically. 

It certainly will be shit. I'm just not a fan of being in really tight quarters, you never know what could happen. Especially on a road trip! An unplanned one, at that. Hopefully I could just sleep for most of the ride, or watch movies or something. We often play games on the bus so I don't really know what to do to keep myself occupied. 

I decide on taking a dose of my medication for my anxiety, which should knock me right out, and hopefully I'll sleep most of the way. About twenty minutes into the ride, Harry seems to be burping the fucking alphabet right behind me, but luckily I'm incredibly drowsy and will certainly be asleep very soon. I still have a knot in the pit of my stomach. I try not to think it into existence, but it really feels like something is going to go wrong today. I don't have much time to dwell, though, because my eyes soon fall shut. 

***

There's a bit of a commotion happening. It pulls me from the heavy slumber I had been enjoying. 

"No, we don't have time for extra stops, just the ones planned for meals," the driver announces, sounding annoyed. 

"We really need to stop. He says he's not feeling well," Louis argues. My heart rate spikes. 

I knew it. I look over to my right, helplessly signaling to Liam that I'm awake and feeling anxious and need to know what's happening. But he's turned around, paying attention to Harry and Louis. For fuck's sake. I take some slow, deep breaths, hoping I can keep my composure. 

"What kind of not well?" Paul asks, turning around as well. 

"M'stomach is bothering me..." Harry mumbles, blushing. 

"I figured, but are you going to throw up? Should we just get out a bag for you and try to keep driving for a little longer? I don't want us to waste time at a stop waiting for something to happen with your stomach in case nothing happens and it's a false alarm or something. We're going to end up behind schedule for driving as is without the bus," Paul explains. 

"Uh, no I don't need a bag, I need the toilet," Harry replies, blushing impossibly redder than before. 

"Alright, next rest stop, we'll pull off. Sorry you're feeling lousy, lad."

Then, it settles again a bit in the car. I find I'm still turned towards Liam, and he takes notice as he is turning back to face forward. "Hey mate. That's a bit wild to wake-up to, huh? Y'alright?" he asks. 

"Uh, yeah. Yeah I'm fine. Just a bit disoriented is all. I'm still drowsy from my meds," I answer. It's true, and it makes it easier to let my eyes slip closed once again. 

Unfortunately the peaceful rest doesn't last long. I feel my shoulder being shaken and Liam's voice fills my ears, speaking quickly. 

"C'mon, Ni. You gotta get out to let Harry out. Sorry lad," he explains. I force my droopy eyes to open up and I push the door open, stepping out into the parking lot as quickly as I can, Harry hot on my heels with Louis following suit. 

"Thanks, sorry to wake you again, Nialler," Louis apologizes while walking away quickly with Harry. 

It strikes me as a bit strange that Harry is wanting Louis to come along when he needs to shit, but I guess that's what love is... Seems gross. I still can't shake the tension in my shoulders telling me that this is something bigger. Something is wrong.