Chapter 5: Awkward Tensions

This afternoon ended off the same as every other day. Raven took out her dorm key and unlocked her door. Apple White was sat right on her bed, with all of her books and studies sprawled out for use. Raven tossed her backpack beside Apple's bed and she slouched back on her vanity chair. She grabbed a fresh peanut butter and jelly sandwich from her lunchbox and started munching.

"Not today, Raven," Apple stared at Raven disapproving.

"Hm?" Raven replied, not hearing a word Apple said while scrolling on her mirror phone.

Apple stood up from her bed, brushed her dress off, and walked over to Raven and snatched her phone right out of her hand.

"Hey! Wha wus phat for?" Raven managed to get out while chewing.

Apple slid Raven's phone in her pocket on the side of her dress, "We need to start the final copy of your project today." She reminded.

 Raven wasn't in the mood to get all serious with her studies today, "Ughhh," She dramatically slid down low in her stool and groaned.

"Stop being a drama queen! Now follow me," Apple took Raven's wrist and pulled her up to her feet.

Raven was taken by surprise of Apple's sternness, she was always so optimistic and was too nice to say no.

Apple quickly let go of Raven's wrist and sat with her legs bent gently to the side of her as she sat back on her bed, surrounded by all her art supplies. Raven followed behind her sitting criss-cross.

Apple opened her large black sketch pad and was flipping through to an empty page, Raven saw a glimpse of her dragon drawing from days before, making her slightly snicker.

"Okay, so, I was thinking of a cute, pink and green cottage-core theme to your dress. It can have puffed sleeves and bows on th-"

Raven was zoning out as Apple was speaking, she couldn't help but notice how passionate and excited Apple looked giving her ideas, she swung her arms around trying to explain her view.

"Raven?"

Raven snapped back into reality, "Yeah?"

"Um, the idea?" Apple raised her eyebrow.

"Oh... OH YEAH uhh," Raven completely forgot the majority of Apples idea, except she hated the colors, "Well, what if we did red and black?"

Apple looked pleased at Raven, finally trying on the project, "Okay! We can go for more of a modern, 101 dalmatians vibe," Apple agreed, even though she hated that idea, she stuck to it to make Raven happy.

Apple passed Raven her fancier sketching pencils and let her start. Apple opened her own separate notepad to splotch colors.

Raven definitely wasn't the designer type. When Apple gave her a blank paper and a pencil, she didn't know where to start. Raven grabbed one of the many pencils and started to sketch the top of the dress. She added a soft heart neckline and some thin straps, frustrated with her simple design Raven scratched it out and started again.

Soon, the sketchpad started filling up with scribbled out ideas, Raven layed back onto Apple's 200 decorative pillows. She put her knees up to rest the sketchbook on as she nibbled on the back of her pencil eraser. 

Apple looked up at Raven and noticed she seemed stumped, "Having trouble with your design?" Apple scooted over, sitting directing next to Raven on her bed.

"What? I'm fine," Raven reassured, she didn't want to let Apple know she was struggling.

Apple placed her hand over Raven's so they were both resting on the pencil, Apple started drawing, while also guiding Raven as she went.

Raven blushed, but she didn't say a word, Apple's fingertips felt cold, making Raven feel insecure of her warm hands.

Apple slowly dragged the pencil across the paper and finally let go. She looked back her her drawing confidently.

"Hey, that's not half bad," Raven approved.

"Thanks," Apple smiled, feeling validated Raven liked her drawing.

There was a long silence of the two girls until Apple grabbed her notepad with all her color splotches, "Oh um, I also picked put some color combos you may want."

Raven peered over and saw many colors from reds and purples, to greens and blacks, "I think the reds and blacks still my favorite,"

"Okay! I mean- yeah I'll do that," Apple awkwardly closed her notepad and walked over across the room to her desk to fetch her markers. She was thrilled Raven started taking classes seriously, but was now self-conscious about trying too hard to get Raven to like her tutor sessions, which was a first to Apple, she's rarely self-conscious about herself.

"Hey, Apple," Raven called from across the room.

"Yeah?" Apple turned around.

"Listen, I was meant to meet Maddie at her dad's tea shop like 20 minutes ago, And I-"

"You can go if you want," Apple interrupted.

Stunned, Raven replied, "Oh- thank you!" Raven slowly made her way to the door.

"But, you'll just have to come back tomorrow so you can finish you project, its due Friday,"

Raven stopped and turned around to face Apple, "that's tomorrow,"

"I know."

"Fine," Raven sighed, and shut the door on her way out.

Apple stared at the door for a minute, until she realized she was zoning out.