Chapter 11: Mask

Raven nibbled on the end of her pencil and stared curiously at her design. The details and colors seemed about right, but something was off.

"Apple, uh, what do you think is missing?" Raven turned her sketch around, and pointed towards Apple's direction.

Apple turned around from her vanity and squinted from across the room, "I can't see, I just took out my contacts, let me come closer."

Apple jogged across the room and bent down to get a better look at Raven's sketch on her bed, "Maybe a belt? But something that ties the look together." She suggested.

"Hmmm," Raven turned the sketch back around facing her, and she leaned back onto her pillows. Apple wasn't much help, and she had to get this design done soon. 

There was an awkward silence between the two girls as Raven drew and thought from across the room on her bed, and Apple was washing her face and fixing her hair from the other side of the room. 

"Soo, how was the ball last night? I don't believe I recognized you anywhere," Apple asked, without facing Raven, as she kept brushing her hair in front of a mirror.

"It was pretty fun, the food was good."

"Nice." Apple responded, which led to just more silence. The girls were both winded up in their own thoughts and aftermaths about the ball, they were talking less than usual.

"Can I borrow your colored pencils real quick?" Raven looked up at Apple a couple minutes later, to Apple sitting across the room removing her earrings.

"Sure! I can grab them for y-"

"I got it," Raven hopped off her bed and walked a few feet over to Apple's big cream colored closet. Apple's closet was a lot larger and more detailed than Raven's, whose was already quite vintage and exotic in the first place.

Raven opened the squeaky door handles and the doors opened up, revealing the large amounts of dresses, skirts, and lace tops, very opposite of Raven's taste. At the bottom of the closet, under of of the hanging clothes were a couple bins, some filled with shoes, headbands, but the bin on the far right had markers, pencils, and other random junk.

Raven slowly pulled out the cloth bin in her lap so she could dig around. She pulled out the bulky items on top, so she could find the small colored pencils and art supplies buried deeper. Raven grabbed her stuff, and tried to shove the box back in Apple's closet.

With the immense amount of dresses, packed tightly in the small amount of space, Raven used a lot of pressure to push the box. Without success, Raven went to plan B. From sitting on her feet to now getting on her knees, Raven pushed over Apple's clothes to the side as much as she could to make room for the box.

But as Raven was pushing, she noticed a particular dress she quickly spotted. It was a bright ruby red. Sequins and detailed lace layed nicely on all the ruffles and it stuck out compared to the smaller dresses in her wardrobe.

It can't be?.. Raven thought to herself. The dress looked too familiar to the one the pretty girl she spent the night with at Briar's party.

Raven didn't know what to think, she stared at the dress for far too long than normal til she got snapped out of her state. 

"Did you find it all?" Apple spoke over the silence, without turning around to face Raven, she kept brushing her locks.

Raven grabbed the cloth bin and stood up from the floor, "Oh yeah, I got everything."

Raven scooted back over to her bed and began the finishing touches on her drawing, "I think I'm gonna go drop this off at Madam Slipper's classroom before class tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about it."

Raven, expecting an answer, hesitated a second, before she got off the bed to leave.

When Apple heard the slam of the dorm doors, the snapped back into reality. She scanned the room, and when she realized Raven left, she walked over to her vanity, to get a better look at what caught her eye.

But before she reached Raven's distraction in her closet, she noticed a beautiful mask on Raven's vanity on the way there. 

Apple knew instantly that was the same mask she stared at all Friday night. But Raven couldn't be the same girl? Raven wasn't bold, or as happy for that matter, as the girl she spent her night with, but to be fair, wasn't Apple really herself that night either. Apple didn't really know what to believe, maybe it wasn't even the same mask, after all.

But deep down, Apple never ignored the truth, and she had to face the fact that Raven Queen kissed her last night. 

Oh no...