Steve - Faded memories

You'd loved him, ever since you were kids you've loved Steve.

You never cared that he wasn't strong, that he wasn't good at fighting or anything like that. You cared that he was sweet and kind, always trying to do the right thing.

When Bucky left, you were heartbroken. Your brother had gone to war, but at least you still had your best friend.

"You'll stay with me right?" You asked Steve.

"I promised Bucky I'd keep you safe!" He grinned.

Or, so you thought. He soon left to join the war leaving you behind.

"I'm sorry..." Steve whispered before leaving.

It had been a few weeks since then, and you felt lost.

"They'll come home some day sweetie." The woman at the library smiled.

"I really hope so!" You beamed.

You stayed with her, helping her out and doing other things around the town. It was a good distraction, but when you had the chance you'd read the news, or listen to the radio.

You knew about Captain America, you didn't know who it was though. All the letters you sent to Steve and Bucky you hoped they got them, because you never got a reply to let you know if they did.

A while later, and the war ended, but the boys never came home.

Your heart broke, Margret placed a comforting hand on your shoulder.

"I'm sorry dear." She said softly.

You watched the men walk away, all you had of your brother and best friend was simply just two flags.

"I... no... Margret.. they.. they can't..." You chocked up.

She pulled you in to her and let you cry, rubbing a hand up and down your back trying to comfort you.

"They're in a better place now dear, they're heroes."

You broke free, tears streaming down your face as you shook your head frantically.

"No! I don't want them to be heroes! I want them.. I want them to be with me! They're the only people I have left!"

With that, you ran away. People tried calling your name but you didn't listen, you just ran and ran until your legs couldn't run anymore and you collapsed in some old and abandoned street.

Your sobs echoed in the silence, everyone sound tearing your apart as you screamed and cried.

"Oh lovely, what on Earth is the matter?" A smooth voice asked.

You sniffled, looking up as you tried to wipe away your tears to look at the man before you.

"I've.. Ive lost everything..."

He nodded in understanding and knelt in front of you, wiping your tears away with a handkerchief.

"No, you should not cry over your loses. You should rejoice in the fact that you had a chance to be with them, and that the will always be in your memories."

You sniffled again but never said anything, you simply just watched him. He wasn't much older than you, though what stood out were his bright red eyes and pale skin.

"Are you not happy to have memories with them?"

"I don't want them in my memories... it hurts too much.." You croaked out.

"If you like, I can take all the memories away. Give you a new life. Would you like that?"

You tilted your head a little in confusion, was that even possible.

As if reading your mind he replied with a soft smile.

"It is possible, I have done it for a handful of people, those who are breaking apart such as you, with nothing else. I give them a new life, they can then go forth on their own or stay with me."

"Why...? Why would you do this...?"

"I understand the feeling of a broken soul, the feeling of having nothing left in the world, being left alone and I would not wish that upon anyone."

You nodded your head slightly. The man stood up and held out his hand, hesitating, you placed your hand in his and allowed him to help you up.

"What's your name?" You asked.

"My name is Micheal Kronn, and you?"

"(Y/N) Barnes..."

"Well, Miss Barnes, would you like me to give you a new start at life?" He asked.

You mulled it over for a few moments before you nodded, staring into his bright red eyes.

"Yes, I don't want to remember this life and all it's hurt."

"Very well, shall we?"

He offered you his arm, and I took it. Letting him escort you away from the place you once called home, all the hurt and pain, memories slowly fading away as you left