Chapter 6: On An Eagle's Wings

"Moon! What was that?" Kinkajou exclaimed.
"It sounded like thunder. But, lighting doesn't strike that fast." Qibli said, confused.
I knew what it was. I heard it before. It was the sound I heard in my vision... with those scavengers. He was real, and he had one of those weapons. He was dangerous.
"What are you thinking Moon?" Qibli noticed me.
"Oh. No just... There's something that doesn't add up." I said softly.
"What?" Kinkajou inquired.
"My vision said he'd be alone. But... there were others who came looking for him."
"Not to mention that one other scavenger you saw," Winter stated.
"Yeah. He's definitely not alone." Qibli agreed, eyeing Winter with a dopey look.
"But why did he run?" We're trying to move the scavengers into their own safe places, most are pretty happy with us.
"Maybe he's not from here? You saw what they came in, and the furs they're wearing. It's not like anything I've seen or read before." Said Qibli.
"Hmm."
They didn't act like the scavengers we know. And it would also account for that crash we saw.
This scavenger is afraid. Probably of us. I wish I could tell him. Wait! The dreamvisitor!
"Guys! I have an idea, let's land!"
We swooped down to a clearing of the rainforest. I got the star-shaped sapphire out of my school badge holder.
"Don't dreamvisitors only work when the person you're trying to see is, y'know... sleeping?" Qibli asked, walking up to me.
"Maybe he passed out! He looked hurt from what I saw." Kinkajou said.
"If I use the dreamvisitor, maybe I can see where he is."
"That could work."
"Try it!"
I put the stone up to my forehead. Thinking of that scavenger.

Suddenly, I found myself in darkness. An eerie darkness. I was here, I was in this scavenger's dream, but where was he?
"Hello?" I called out. Where could you be?
It knows what's going on. It seems confident, but curious. I guess it wouldn't hurt to talk. "So you're the one who is after me."
I turned, seeing him. He didn't look hurt, and his furs looked... different from even the ones he wore before. He chuckled.
"I guess I have to have an official introduction, Marvin Jerez, First lieutenant of the 101st airborne. Screaming Eagles."
I didn't know what he was talking about. But he was talking... to me. I canted my head in confusion.
He chuckled again. "Okay, you don't know who they are. I'm a soldier, a paratrooper for the United States. Who, if I may ask, are you... Moon?"
I shivered when he said my name like that. He talked like he knew what he was doing, like he calmly commanded the situation, even in his sleep.
"I-I'm Moonwatcher. But, call me Moon"
"Hmm, Moonwatcher. That's a pretty name."
I giggled slightly.
"So what's your business with me? I mean, you chased after me, you must need something of me."
"I... I want to know..." If you're the scavenger in the prophecy.
He frowned. "Prophecy? Scavenger? Could you elaborate on that?"
I was stunned. "Did you just read my mind?"
Marvin looked back at me, confusion written all over his face.
"How would I know that? You were talking, were you? I can't see all that well right now."
But... I wasn't talking.
"Sure you were. I can hear you loud and clear." Unless I'm going crazy, which I very well might be.
I stumbled back. I didn't say a word, yet he clearly understood what I thought.
How could that be? I thought... only dragons could be mind-readers. This changes everything.
"Moonwatcher? Are you okay? What do you mean mind-readers?"
I put my claws over my head, trying to keep my thoughts inside, safe, secret.
I don't like this. It feels wrong!
I felt an icy feeling well up from in front of me.
"Moon? Are you okay? Did I say something wrong? Are you okay?"
I felt small hands on my chest. He radiated a comfortable warmth that stilled my anxiety a little, he honestly meant no harm. Then I remembered. I remembered my first days at Jade Mountain.
This must've been how Qibli and Kinkajou must have felt when they realized I could read their minds.
I felt so bad, this is what they went through.
"No. I'm okay." I took a step back.
"Now you're talking."
"Yes. Marvin... you can read my mind. You're a mind reader."
He paused for a moment, chuckling and shaking his head. Then he looked back up at me.
"I would say you're lying if you weren't a fricken dragon I see in my dreams."
I smiled, hanging my head.
He got up, walking around.
"But, to answer your question Moon, I'm not a person someone should or would write a story about. Let alone be in a prophecy." He stopped, looking out in the darkness, then back at me. "Moon... I just want to go home. I want to end this war and go home to my Momma, my brother. I just want to sit in a chair and listen to the radio, read the newspaper. Heh, maybe even write a story or two myself."
"Marvin," I stepped forward. "Where are you?"
He stopped, looking around.
"I don't know. I'm somewhere in the rainforest. I'm a bit banged up. I got tranqed. I have no idea where I am."
"The Rainforest?" Glory might know where you are!
He turned to face me. "Then, if I may ask, can you please talk to this Glory and find out what she wants with me?"
"I'll do everything I can." I nodded.
He chuckled, then smiled. "Thank you, Moon. I trust you, probably more than I should. I can't wait to meet you in person."
A sharp wind blew through, somehow. Marvin smiled, as he raised his hand and showed two small claws in a "V" formation.
He drifted away, like sand.

Kinkajou shook me awake.
"Moon! Moon!"
"I'm awake. I'm awake." I sat up.
Qibli sat in front of me, studying me. "So? What did he say? At least, you were out for a while."
"I spoke with him." Looking into his pure black eyes.
"Really? What did he say? Is he alright?" Kinkajou jumped on top of me.
"He's hurt a little bit, and he's been found by the Rainwings. They got him with tranquilizer darts."
"Oh no!" She turned a light blue.
Qibli and Winter looked to be working on a solution.
"We need to go to the Rainforest Kingdom. See if we can get Queen Glory to get him back." Winter stated.
"What about his friends? They're probably looking for him too, and they don't trust us any more than he did." Turtle commented
"Are you saying we should split up? How would we even tell them, we can't communicate with them." Qibli broke it down.
Actually. I realized. "I can."
"Moon, no. You're a NightWing, and Kinkajou doesn't have a commanding presence." Winter said.
"Hey! I can be commanding if I want to!" She turned her scales black, trying to look like me. "See?"
Once she said that small spots of pink and gold shone through. I did my best to avoid giggling.
"Okay. Moon and I will go back and see what we can do about the scavenger den. Qibli and the rest of you will go to Queen Glory, and try to get Moon's scavenger back." Winter explained.
"He's actually not mine." I dared to clarify.
"He's just in your prophecy." He motioned at me.
I sighed in defeat.
"Let's go then." Qibli stated.
Me and Winter raised up and headed back. Turtle, Qibli, and Kinkajou took off towards the rainforest kingdom.
I just hope he'll be okay. I hope I'll be okay.