Chapter 20: To The Moon And Back

I couldn't move, but I could think, I could hear.
"She's not moving. Qibli, she's not moving." Winter said, panic in his voice.
"She's breathing." Marvin silenced him. What did you mean Moon? When you said I already know? What do I know? "Ugh, just stay alive until you can tell me." Jesus Christ.
You already know about Goldman, about his powers, about our powers.
But there was no response. I still felt Marvin's nervousness eating him alive. It was a strange feeling, like my entire body was filled with a strange taste, it was really uncomfortable.
"We need to get her to a medic." Travers said.
"She's got no surface injuries," McManis stated.
So that's who I felt running around me.
"We need to get her to a doctor!" Marvin exclaimed.
"The closest one is at Jade Mountain, and I don't think Clay can treat her," Qibli commented.
"We need to at least get away from here. Goldman knows where we are." Turtle said.
"True. He could have the entire squad here within five minutes. It's been about two already. We need to move." The scruffy voice of Marvin's friend.
"We can't leave Moon here." Qibli and Winter said in unison, Marvin was thinking.
"Can you two carry her?" He finally said.
I sensed they looked at each other. I assumed they nodded because Marvin continued.
"Okay. Try. We'll swap out as we go, but we need to at least make it to Jade Mountain."
"What about the forest? Glory will take care of you."
"Does she have any doctors Kinkajou?"
I heard her whisper. "Not any good ones."
"Then it's Jade Mountain or bust. Travers, ride with Turtle. See if you can figure out a plan to reverse this spell. McManis, keep rear security, I don't want anyone sneaking up on us again. Let's move."
I felt claws scoop up from under me. One was cold as ice, and the other had a pleasant warmth to them. With a heave, I was picked up off the ground. Winter slipped, nearly digging into my side trying to hold onto me. Their wings beat hard as they tried to carry me.
"Marvin!" McManis called out. I guessed Marvin turned around to look at him.
"You ingenious bastard!"
"I took three of them from the camp when we were there. Goldman got 'em. They still work!"
"Absolutely fantastic! Hold onto them, they'll be handy later!"
Turtle and Travers were also talking.
"How did you get animus magic back?"
"I don't know. I didn't know I even had it until literally today."
"Yes, but you cast a spell. Some sort of spell. What did you say?"
"I said a lot of things. I guess I healed Marvin when I was panicking with Moon and the tan dragon.
"Heh, tan dragon. Qibli. But were you called into someplace? Maybe with Goldman?"
"Actually... he did call me into his tent after we discovered we could do magic shit. He had this weird book-scroll thing. I don't know what it was, but he told me to repeat a phrase with him."
I heard Turtle miss a beat.
"W-what did it say?"
"It said... reverse Jerboa's spell, and bring back animus magic. That this spell is to be irreversible by any animus, no matter what." He paused for a moment. "Animus? Is that what we are?"
I felt a chill envelop me, and it wasn't from Winter.
"That's why." I heard Turtle mumble.
"Talons and teeth," Qibli whispered. "So it was you two."
"Apparently two animus wielders can cancel out a single one," Winter said plainly.
"That's useful to know," Qibli remarked.
We kept flying. Until Marvin broke the silence.
"Wait! Do you think you both can reverse Goldman's spell?"
"I just thought of that!" Qibli exclaimed.
"Quickly! Land!"
I felt everything fall, like I was suddenly weightless. The queasy feeling vanished promptly when my carriers flared and gently rested me onto the ground. There was a commotion. I heard a short but intense drone. Fabric rustling.
"Whatever she has, she's unresponsive, but she's alive. Can you hear her Marvin?" McManis quickly said.
"No. But I think that might be the spell. She's alive though."
I sighed happily. Marvin wasn't giving up on me.
"What are you planning to do?" Qibli asked immediately after. He wasn't about to give up either.
I sensed Marvin point towards Turtle landing with Travers.
"You two. Come up with a spell that can reverse this. And if you can, protect yourselves and the rest of us from Goldman's spells."
"A-are you sure? I mean, I've never done this before." Travers stuttered.
"And I don't want to be used like an object." Turtle added.
"I'm not using you, I'm just putting you in a situation where you can make yourselves useful." Marvin quickly spat out, he remained calm, but I could hear anger and annoyance begin to gather. "And besides, you're protecting yourself and your friends. First and foremost. That's all I'm asking. Do you understand Turtle? This is not an order, this is more of a logically necessary request."
They remained silent, but I heard them step away, then they both whispered to each other. They were probably planning out the spell. I felt something cold touch my scales, but it wasn't Winter.
It moved in bursts, feeling out something.
"She's got a pulse," McManis announced
"Oh thank God." Marvin sighed.
"Is that... good?" Winter asked, concerned.
McManus paused for a moment. "I'm... hearing fluid in the lungs. But I've never treated a dragon before, I don't know if that's how they're supposed to sound."
"Do your best." Marvin said. "I need that spell STAT!" He yelled back to Travers.
"I think we have it."
I heard the two run back.
"Just do it already. I can't see shit, and it looks internal. I couldn't save her even if I tried." McManus stepped back from me.
I felt a body snuggle against me.
"Come on Moon. Be okay. If you aren't, I'm gonna force feed you fermented mangos and smokeberries."
I laughed internally. Did I even have to say who it was?
"Okay, on three, repeat what we practiced." Turtle said.
"Okay." Travers agreed.
"One."
"One"
"Two" "Two"
"Three"
I held my breath.
Both Turtle and Travers spoke.
"Enchant this rock to remove Goldman's spell on Moonwatcher, and to prevent future spells from being cast on Qibli, Winter, Kinkajou, Turtle, Peril, Travers, McManis, and Marvin."
A rush of wind surged through the dark forest, my entire body shivered.
I shivered! I can move!
My eyes shot open, in time to see Marvin's turn to face me. His face lit up.
"Moon!" "Moon!" "Moon!"
Qibli and Winter rushed me, I was suddenly enveloped by my friends. Their warm and true feelings also crushed the breath out of me.
"We knew you'd be alright. I knew, you'll be alright." Winter's words spilled out.
"Of course, never a doubt in my mind either."
Winter and Qibli had a mini staring contest.
Suddenly, I was almost knocked over by a small, not necessarily tiny, RainWing. She threw me down in a flash of nearly all yellow.
"Don't you dare do that to us again. I couldn't STAND it, Moon!" But she still snuggled her head alongside me, trying to hug me with her wings. "I'm just happy you're okay."
"I am too."
I let Kinkajou continue hugging me, covering her with my own wings in an embrace.
Travers stood alongside Turtle. They looked like they were exhausted, breathing heavily.
Suddenly, two humans standing a little ways away from everyone caught my attention. Marvin was looking at us, a great big smile on his face. McManis stood with his arms crossed, as if he was proud as well.
I'm just happy you're okay Moon.
Despite dragons jumping all over me, I managed to sneak out.
So am I. That was a super awesome idea.
He chuckled.
It was you, I couldn't let you go without a fight.
"What are you two talking about?" Qibli stood up next to me.
"Oh. He's just happy I'm okay. And so are you." I wrapped my wings around him. "Thank you Qibli."
He promptly laid his warm head over my back.
I opened my eyes to see Marvin looking on, a grin plastered on his face. No tinge of jealousy, not a hint of anger. He was just happy I was okay, and so was everyone else. I let their warmth envelop me once more, finally sighing for the first time in what felt like forever.