Chapter 26: Helping Humans

We managed to sneak around to the place we needed to be to evacuate the Indestructible City. The walls and fighting were on the other side, we were safer. When I closed my eyes and saw what Marvin was thinking, I was so scared for him. His mind saw everything and made out a terrible image for me.
Humans forced into poverty because of that one scavenger? This was worse than the Scorpion Den.
"Moon?" Qibli brushed his wing against me.
Not all of them were bad though. Qibli, Torn, and the Outclaws aren't. "I'm okay. Thank you Qibli."
He only nodded his head. "Did you get any word from Marvin?"
"No. Not since he told us that Goldman was spotted, and they're preparing the defense."
He looked back over at the city. We were close, close enough to be targeted by the ballista that nearly killed Qibli. Winter, in fact, was still hiding in the woods. He wasn't going to risk anything, no matter what Marvin said was going on.
"I don't like this Moon. He should've brought more people. We should've been there."
"No. They would've killed us on sight."
Turtle came out and sat with us, Kinkajou followed close behind. We could see humans running up and down the walls, like they were preparing something.
"Dragons!" A voice came out from behind us. Sergeant Kish briskly walked up to us.
"Good evening to you all."
Even Winter appeared behind him.
"So, as per Marvin's order, I suggest we start heading over for phase 4."
Me and Qibli both met each other.
"Okay. It's time to go."
"Indeed."
"Climb on."
I lowered myself, and Kish climbed on. We all took flight, heading towards the city.
Marvin! We're here! Where are we landing?
Middle of town. A bazar. I told them to clear it, but I don't think they did. Just crush it.
What?
Their lives are more important than a few goods. Just find a spot to land and land. They shouldn't fire at you.
I got hung up when he said "shouldn't" but it was too late now. We flew over the city, watching a few terrified scavengers look up at us. We landed in the middle of the city, like Marvin said. There were a few market stands, which crumpled easily under me. I carefully nudged them aside with my tail. Clearing an area for my friends.
"Great! You're here."
McManis was there to meet us.
"The attack has already commenced. We'll hold them as long as we can, but we need to get as many people away to position Zebra as fast as possible."
"Then start now." Kish slid down. "Prefer to line them up, two lines from either side. Form a queue, build platforms, whatever the hell you need to to get as many people away as possible."
"They have hot air balloon baskets. Big enough for six people, we need to harness the dragons though."
"Okay, use rope. Lots of rope. I suggest we all move quickly."
McManis nodded and dashed off. Kish came back with spools of rope.
"I'll help," Qibli said.
Together, they draped it over my neck and lower back, behind my wings. Then doubled back on itself to make a sort of harness and connecter that could be quickly attached and detached to the large baskets nearby.
Once I was done, I grabbed more rope for the rest of my friends.
How's it coming along Moon?
I paused when I heard Marvin's voice.
We are getting harnessed up now.
Remember, these people have lived in fear of dragons their whole life. Take it easy with them please, and don't engage unless absolutely necessary.
Okay. I will.
I'm out.
Even in a mental conversation, he still acts like he's on the radio.
"Moon! You're up!"
Kish ran up to the growing crowd of people.
"Six in the basket, please! No more, no less. Families may be separated, you will regroup! Do not leave where you've been dropped off. Stay together, stay safe!"
He crowded them in. I took to the air, before slowly descending and hovering so Kish could loop the connecter around. He did.
"Right of way Moon!" He waved.
I beat my wings hard. The sudden weight stopped me for a moment, but I managed to lift up the basket. The humans inside held onto the sides while I flew over and away. I managed to get a glimpse of the battle raging only a little further away. Aside from Marvin, the soldiers were all nervous or scared.
I shook my head, trying to push them away. I needed to save these scavengers. The flight was short, but it was far enough away. I landed just far enough for the scavengers to disembark. They did, just as Qibli came into view.
"Qibli!"
"Moon! They're getting close to the wall, we have to hurry!"
I double-checked to make sure they were all off, before flying as fast as I could back to the city.
He was right. The battle was not going in our favor. Enemy humans swarmed towards the city, and they were getting closer to the walls.
They'll hold for a little while. Just keep men moving. Out.
I landed, Kish got more people in the basket, and I took off again. Every time, I saw the mob get closer. But the crowd at the evacuation zone was also growing. But both were moving fast. The nervousness was growing in everything, and my raindrops couldn't stop every emotion from getting to me. I flew as fast as I could, but I could tell the five of us would not get everyone out in time. I came down to land and get more when I heard over Kish's radio.
"Reinforcements! Reinforcements approaching from the southeast and west! Dragons! Closing fast!"
Kish motioned me up, and I got to see them. A group of SandWings were coming this way. On the other side, I made out a faintly camouflaged group of RainWings. I hovered in awe.
The cavalry's here. Keep going. We're fighting to the bitter end!
The way he said that made me shiver. But I remembered his jacket, Marvin would not be harmed. The other dragons also began to help. There were chains of dragons, lifting out humans away from the city. Some had the designated baskets, some had only platforms, and a few carried scavengers on their backs. But more and more people were getting out. We might be able to rescue them all!
Right before I landed, Kish caught me.
"Marvin needs you! Leave your harness, meet him at the fortress!"
I landed in front of him, and he untied my ropes. I lifted off again.
"The fortress!"
I flew low and fast towards the big structure closer to the fighting. Things zipped and whistled by me as I descended. Finding Marvin, McManis, Travers, and the Invincible Lord. He was filled with terror when I landed before him.
"A Night Dragon." The older human gasped.
"NightWing." Marvin clarified. "Now listen closely. Whatever my college wants is in here. I need to know, what kinds of loot or treasure is in here that someone could want."
"Pretty much everything. All our gold and resources are stored here."
"Goldman has no use for gold or anything of material value. Think magic or dragon related." McManis blurted out. The man just stuttered.
"There's no time. Any minute, that wall'll be breached." Marvin took a breath. That's it. No more waiting. Secrets have cost lives. "Blow it."
"Wait!"
"Blow the damn hinges! Move!"
McManis dragged the man away, Travers went up and placed yellow boxes on the hinges, connected with a wire.
"Comp B Moon. Best get to cover." Those blocks have a deadly range of 20 meters per block. Anything in the open will be filled with shrapnel. Why aren't you moving Moon already?
I bounded away to get behind a building. I only looked around the corner to see Travers.
"Fire in the hole!"
Travers pulled something and it started to hiss.
"Fire in the hole!"
"Get down!"
Marvin grabbed Travers as he ran past, I ducked behind the wall. An explosion rocked the ground, and then a thud. The big door was knocked down. Marvin ran up to it, heading inside.
"Cover him, Moon."
The other two headed inside, leaving me without a means to talk to him. He looked on at me, blinking. He was scared to move, but I also saw his character. He had a deep hatred of dragons, one that made my own mind ache. He was more scared of me than Marvin, even though we were rescuing them.
"Yibble Yibble. Yibble"
He talked idly, but I saw an image of another Nightwing swooping down on a family. I shook my head, trying to keep afloat and alert. I focused on Marvin's mind. Somehow, he remained calm and confident, although he had a sense of urgency about him.
Not here. Or here. Damn, where the hell would I put it? Wait! McManus, what do you got? Travers, I don't think it's in a golden vase. Looks nice though. Wait! Lean on that again! An invisible hallway! Okay, bayonets, close quarters. Let's do this bois.
I felt him going underground. The battle all came back to me, an explosion rocked close by. I felt minds moving through where the walls should be.
Hurry Marvin. They've broken through.
Good copy. I think we just found what Goldman wants.
I heard them come back up. The both of us turned to meet him. Marvin was followed by his two soldiers. He carried a large leather cylinder.
"Do you know what this is?"
The Invincible Lord was filled with fear. Marvin opened it and showed it to me. I recognized them all too well.
"The pieces of Darkstalker's scroll! How?"
"They found them, drifting in the wind. Figured they must be important." The older human said.
"Well apparently so!" McManis boomed out.
"We need to get this and everyone else away from here as soon as possible."
"They've already broken through, and only half of the city is evacuated!"
"Well, we'll fight to the end. As many citizens, as many as we can. Not until we're completely overrun, will we retreat. Take this Moon. Keep it safe."
"I will." He walked up and threw it over my neck.
Marvin nodded to me, taking out his radio.
"All units, this is Alpha 1-1. Green light. Green light. No holds barred. We will fight to the last gasp. Out."
"Roger that sir."
"Copy sir."
With that, I heard a cry.
"AIRBORNE!"
The cry echoed off the other buildings, gathering more voices, until the whole city was rallied together.
Go, Moon. Save them. Save yourself. I'm following right behind.
I looked back at him. He had a peaceful smile on, despite the fear I knew he was fighting to keep down.
"Not without you."
"You need to get that thing to safety. Get it to Turtle or Qibli, tell them it needs to be cremated. Not a single sheet can be left undestroyed. Can you do that for me, Moon?"
I hesitated.
"Moon! Please?" He asked softly. I barely nodded "Go. Go now."
Just as enemies rounded the corner, Marvin fired at them.
"We're falling back! Go now!"
I tore myself away, fighting back tears. I flew low and fast over the buildings. Bad guys were swarming inside several holes in the walls. It was a long ride back to the city square. While I tried to land, the soldiers waved me off.
"Go! Go, Moon! Get that thing to position Zebra!"
I flew on, following the train of dragons still carrying citizens. They were all terrified for their city. Marvin's war took their homes, but he saved their lives.
Suddenly, I was thrown down. Something impacted me. I recovered and hovered in the sky. An older Nightwing hovered before me. I noticed he had a silver teardrop scale like I did, but his mind was shut off.
"Hello, Moonwatcher." His voice started, but it sounded faintly familiar.
"I believe you have something of mine."
"Goldman?"
He wore a sickening smile.
"A clever suggestion by the late Chameleon. I must say, being a dragon feels a lot more powerful."
"You banished Marvin." I felt the wave of anger rise up in me.
"No no no. I did not banish anyone. I just... made sure he stayed banished."
I suddenly turned and started flying away as fast as I could. My friends could help me, as soon as I got to position Zebra.
"You can't outrun me, Moon!" Goldman boomed. He flew up next to me, upside down, a bored look on his face.
"You're a fighter like Marvin. I admire that. But the time for games has passed."
He rolled into me, sinking his talons into my back. I roared in pain but didn't let go. Suddenly he flared up, taking me with him. He swung me around and tossed me into a SandWing. I nearly avoided getting pricked, and the scavengers were shaken, but I did not let go. I ducked underneath her, and flew on through the middle of the crowd. I could lose him, we wouldn't risk flying through a crowd of SandWings. Right?
Instead, he flew up from underneath me, trying to snatch the scraps out of my claws. I stopped and hovered when I saw him. He shot up through the crowd and spun up to hover. He breathed in deeply.
Uh oh.
I dogged his fire blast. Nearly catching two Rainwings. I flew faster than the others, weaving and dogging around the dragons like I did in the rainforest. The RainWings, exactly like the Rainforest.
It's Moon!
Come on Moon, you got this!
Go on good Nightwing!
Their positive thoughts behind me, only to be shaken when Goldman came thundering through. I flew as hard as I could, but my back stung badly from his attack. But I saw the crowd. I was getting so close.
"Don't you dare!"
I saw a vision of his attack. I rolled left instead of right, but a RainWing was caught in his blast. He and five scavengers went down screaming.
Tears flooded my eyes but I neared my teeth. I had to keep flying. I dove down to the ground, Goldman right on my tail. I saw Sergent Kish, a few other soldiers near him, and my winglet.
"Goldman's behind me!" I cried out.
"Bastard!"
I flared up and away, leaving Goldman free. Thunder echoed below me, as I heard a roar of pain.
"Fuck you, Kish!" Was Goldman's last cry as he turned and flew away.
My entire mind was woozy now, I came down with a crash. I slid up right next to Kish. I felt a wave of fear from somewhere.
"Crap. Get Jimmy!"
"Medic!"
"Moon!" I felt something warm run up to me. Qibli's voice shook.
"Y-y-you'll be okay. I-I'll find something. Where's Turtle's rock!" He cried out.
"Marvin has it!" Kish responded. I felt scavenger claws run all around me.
"She's lost a lot of blood. She won't hold out much longer."
"I-I-I... I ENCHANT YOU TO BE HEALED!"
I felt my energy return to me, all the pain vanished. I stood back up, only to see Qibli's terrified face which matched my own. It all happened so fast.
"Wait, Moon, you don't have Marvin?" Kish exclaimed.
"What? No. He gave me this, it's-"
"Darkstalker's scraps. He told us. Why isn't Marvin with you? The city's falling! All semblance of a defense is gone! Where is Marvin!"
We all looked back at the city, now engulfed in black smoke.
"He's still there," I whispered. I spread my wings to fly away, Qibli caught me.
"No, I'm not letting you go back."
"Qibli! Let me go!"
"I can't! I know you'll die!"
What he said made me shiver.