Chapter 29: The Siege of Jade Mountain

I could fight back sleep with discipline, but I had coffee instead. I had a C ration warmed over the campfire to quell my hunger. I managed a short nap before the sun went down. My men were ready. I had everyone posted up in the trenches. Sunny was watching the egg, Tsunami and Clay were guarding Darkstalker's scroll deep in the mountain. In the teacher rooms to be exact, the most fortified point of Jade Mountain.
We had sandbags covering every choke point, which led into long shooting galleries in case we had to fall back. Every corridor was a field of fire, every corner a choke point. No avenue was left uncovered by rifle and machine gun fire. Every point was mapped out, and every likely position of attack was ranged out. 1000 yards of open ground, illuminated by the remnants of sunlight or moonlight, a long ride, or flight, for anything. I doubted any dragon was on his team, but I knew Goldman himself would likely make an appearance, likely as a dragon Nightwing, which will be fun.
Reed posted himself at the center point of the trench line, his M18 laid against the parados behind him, ready to give Goldman a 57mm shell to the face if we do spot him.
As I wolfed down some meatloaf and marinara sauce before windchill froze it, McManis joined me in my foxhole, bringing an ammo can with a few bandoliers of ammo and magazines for my weapons.
"Supplies addressed to the LT."
I set down my plate.
"Thanks, McManis."
"No prob."
I didn't fight with him about the fact I was no longer a lieutenant. I jumped down and opened his box. 10 magazines, all filled to 28, the absolute maximum that would still feed reliability in a fight.
"Squad's nervous." He started. "Kinkajou and one of her friends took a flight around, they said that the forests are crawling with Japs." I looked up at him, my mouth stuffed with meatloaf. "It's safe to say we're surrounded, Captain." He sighed, looking at me. Why is he not concerned? The entire squad is getting stir crazy. The dragons aren't that confident either. I had three faces look at me, they weren't sure they were going to make it.
"We're going to make it," I said, hand covering my mouth so I could shield myself from spitting meatloaf at him. "Either we win... or we all die trying."
McManis nodded.
"Tell them to get as much ammo as they can."
"Absolutely, more than necessary Marvin. Every trench is stuffed to the brim with 30-06 and .45, there's caches inside Jade Mountain. Ammo is the least of our concerns."
"How about others? Any word on reinforcements?"
He shook his head.
"The RainWings and SandWings were stretched thin after the IC." Indestructible City
"So we're on our own then."
"We have... other dragons Marvin." The students.
"I'm not about to send dragonettes to their deaths or be scarred for life for killing. They can fight, but only as a last resort."
"When we get pushed into the Academy."
"When."
We both nodded in morbid agreement. McManis looked over the open area again.
"It's going to be a slaughter, Marvin."
"Either theirs or ours. But we have to hold, McManis. We can't let Goldman get the egg or the scroll. Then there quite literally will be no stopping him. This is our only advantage, we have to use it."
McManis nodded.
"We're just gonna have to pray this is a Hail Mary eh officer?"
"Raise a hallelujah, Chris."
He chuckled.
Wait. What's that?
I drew up my glasses, training them on the forest.
What is it? I heard Moon ask.
Standby. I told her, as I saw a huge blob of light green hiding amongst the trees. It wrapped all the way around the forest, all the way around every possible flank.
This isn't just an attack, this is a goddamned siege!
With that, I heard a deep thumping, a sound I knew all too well. I trained my glasses on the battleship. Its guns flashed, illuminating the water for a split second, engulfing the ship in dirty, brown smoke.
"Down! Opening artillery attack!"
"Into the trenches!"
McManis dashed away, yelling. I huddled into my little hidey-hole. I took the last opportunity to look over my trench works again. Me and my men were separated by twenty yards or so, I had Travers on my left, and McManis would be on my right. Moon was in her ditch, huddled away from shrapnel. Qibli was across from her on the left side of the trench line, huddled in cover. The rest of the dragons and men were scattered around according to their abilities and weapons. I watched as the contrails arced overhead in the late evening, red-orange, light.
"Brace!"
The first shell hit. The earth erupted ahead of me, rattling my position with rocks and shrapnel. A crater deep enough for a person to stand in was carved deep into the slate.
"Hold fast!" A yell ran up and down the line.
The second shell hit, then another, then another. Earthquakes rocked the trenches, I huddled safely in my foxhole. They landed all around us, pounding away. The ear-splitting explosions. Smoke and black dust enveloped us. They kept hammering away at us for so long, it felt like all hell was raining down on us. Purging us for all of our misdeeds. And then... it stopped. A cry went out over the ringing.
"Infantry in the open! Range 600 yards!"
I fumbled for the radio.
"Alright boys, this is it!"
I looked over one last time, I saw the enemy mob marching toward us. The trenches held, and everyone was okay. A few more entrances were carved in the stone, but the Academy was untouched. Now it was our turn to open up.
"Oooopen fireeee!"
Shots rang out piecemeal, then the B.A.Rs started chugging along.
Towne and Reed carved a path of death towards the enemy. Sometimes ricocheting off and disappearing into the sky. I brought my rifle to bear, my scope still silhouetting the enemy as they advanced. I couldn't make out any prize targets, only a big blob of men.
Moon! Do you think you guys can light up the field?
Already on it!
I heard a woosh overhead, followed by a few other dimly colored shapes in the sun's dying moments. I realized there were no moons, barely any slivers. They were all new. This night was going to truly be our darkest hour.
Red tracers streamed into the blob, a few green ones came back. But our emplacements were good, direct fire was nigh useless against.
Out of the darkness, great plumes of fire appeared and rained down onto the open ground. The flickering flames illuminated hundreds of terrified faces. So much so, that I could spot the individual ranks on their collars. I targeted the leading officers. The more yellow the better. The first wave seemed to scatter at our onset of force, half retreating, half cowering behind boulders and whatever cover they could find.
You doing alright Moon?
I could feel an air of exhaustion running through our link.
Yeah. I'm fine.
Regroup, we can see now. Regroup and recover!
There's still a lot more heading this way!
We're fine for now. Save your strength.
Somehow she managed to communicate a growl over our link, but the plumes of fire stopped. I heard more whooshes back towards us, as the dragons took up their defensive positions again. Their counterfire dwindled, as did ours. A tense silence fell over the mountain. A cheer went up.
"We got 'em!"
"Yeah!"
McManus came running up to me, with another box of ammo and a new weapon in tow.
"Found this in the field. Kish said you're better off using it."
An '03 Springfield sniper rifle. With the USMC long scope. I wanted one of these since I figured out I could hit a dime group at 100 yards.
"Clips for it, AP rounds, just in case."
"I'll put them to good use. Thanks, McManus."
He nodded, running back down the trench.
During our brief ceasefire, everyone was restocked and reloaded. Thanks to Travers, this scope was enchanted the same way the other one was. I didn't know if he put any other enchantments on the rifle itself. I figured he did do something, it had that electrical, cold touch to it. I opened the bolt and pushed in five blacktip projectiles. Not a second later, another cry went out.
"Tanks! Tanks and armored vehicles!"
"What?"
I grabbed my glasses, scanning the countryside. Clear as day, silhouettes of tanks emerged from the thickets.
"I thought they didn't have any tanks!" Came Kish over the radio.
"Dig in! Don't risk it!"
A shot. A sickening high-pitched whistle flew over us, exploding at the top of the academy. The sign fell, covering the top half of the entrance.
"Hold the line!"
We started lighting them up. The armored vehicles plunged forward. Men cowered behind them. I took potshots at the armored cars with my new rifle. It was big and awkward, but usable. The recoil was a lot better than I expected, the big bulky scope was hard to jerk around I guess.
"Weak points! Get that M18!" I shouted to Reed, a little down the line, hopefully, Travers heard me.
I hit drivers' hatches, watching as the cars suddenly stop, or veer off and expose twenty men to MG fire. They weren't armed with any heavy weapons, only machine guns. They tried to retaliate for their drivers, but my fire promptly removed their threat. After the battle, we might even be able to reclaim them. But now the tanks came closer.
"Reeeed! Any minute now!"
I looked over and saw my man holding the long, silver Recoilless rifle, aiming towards the tanks. A huge woosh. I barely made out the shell as it flew towards the tanks. Suddenly impacting it and engulfing it in fire. Its engine spluttered to a stop over the gunfire. Reed ducked down to reload, as machine gun fire poured in from the three other tanks. I went up with my own rifle, hoping I could maybe knock into their armor a little bit. I knew I was too far to be effective, but I could at least piss them off. I targeted driver's hatches and turret rings. I managed to detrack one, forcing it to reveal its side to me. I punched holes into its side armor, while Reed blew up another. The first enemy approached our line. The right flank. The tank growled up the bluff, straight up to our trenches. Right on top of Gossing's position. I could feel a tide of fear wash over me. I saw myself holding a gammon. I saw him poke his head over the trench and lob it. The dark object flew over the tank and landed on the engine bay. The tank burst into flames. The turret flew into the air like a kicked can and landed on the other side of the trench.
"Whooh!" Came a cry.
I... I did it!
"Keep up the fire!"
Now the Infantry came again. More this time. They moved over the open, a few utilizing the destroyed husks of their armor, moving from cover to cover. I switched back to my MKB, catching them as they advanced.
"It's a turkey shoot!" Wessly exclaimed with glee not too far away.
I ignored his happiness, focusing on the few men who managed to get past. They were within grenade range, hiding behind the tank I poked open. Keeping my rifle up, I got a frag hung from my chest pouch. Pulling the pin, I flung it as high as I could. Too short, it bounced off the tank.
"Oh, cra-"
I ducked down, a pop and a swarm of angry bees. I got back up, trying again. The grenade bounced off the top of the turret and fell back. Several minds iced up, a commotion of Japanese language. They tried to run, straight into Towne watching them with a B.A.R. The following explosion took care of the rest. A faint sickening feeling sunk into my stomach. But I took a breath, focusing back on the fight. But again, the Infantry began to pull back. Another cheer went up.
"We're beating their asses!"
"Screaming Eagles!"
"Screaming Eagles!"
"Screaming Eagles!"
That cry ran up and down the line, but a now nervous-looking McManus ran up to me with another ammo box.
"How's Reed?" He knew what I was talking about.
"He's got six goods left. Enough for another tank push like last one."
"Get Turtle or someone to make more. I doubt those are the only tanks we're seeing tonight."
He nodded, rushing off down the trench. I kicked out empty magazines, replacing them with full ones. I refilled my grenades and got extra gammons. I had a bad feeling about this next attack.
How are you doing Moon? Your friends?
I'm doing alright. Qibli is excited, and Winter. Turtle and Kinkajou don't want to be here anymore.
Tell them they can take cover in the Academy. A big attack is coming. If they don't want to risk themselves.
Okay, I'll tell them.
Move quickly. I have a feeling this mountain won't remain quiet for long.
I fumbled for the radio.
"All units, this is Alpha 1-1, this is Captain Marvin. I know you're feeling like you're on top of the world, I know you feel like we're winning, but steel yourselves men. Don't get cocky now. Keep your head on a swivel, fingers on your triggers. Third time's the charm for them. Hold fast men. Don't retreat until ordered. Hold the line. Hold the line. HOLD THE LINE."
I clicked off. Men up and down the line disappeared into their foxholes, reloading their weapons. Suddenly a migraine began to form, casting a cold, pressing pain.