Chapter 14: The Attack

We sat in the dark nearby. Winter paced around us anxiously, and Qibli just sat, thinking.
"I don't like this. That scavenger said the attack should start any minute now." Winter growled.
"Calm down. He said we'll know when it starts." Qibli stated.
I looked up to the sky. There were the three moons.
A sense of calmness washed over me, letting me take a breath before the chaos started. If this will be anything like what I've seen in Marvin's visions, I will have to steel myself. Winter and Qibli were quiet for a little longer, but then Winter went right back to pacing.
"What are you thinking Moon?"
I looked up to Qibli, his dark eyes reflected a white sheen.
"Just... will this work?"
Qibli also looked lost in thought for a moment.
"Well... these guys look like they've had plenty of experience doing this sort of stuff. I'm sure you can confirm that Moon."
I nodded slowly, you could barely see me in the night. Qibli nodded once, before looking over in the direction of the battle to begin. Sometimes I wish now I could listen to what he was thinking. But then, I heard thunderclaps. Lots of thunder, which echoed through the forest. The sounds of battle I heard in Marvin's visions. Winter brushed me with his wings, shocking me with his cold scales.
"Come on. It's time to go."
He took flight. Qibli jumped after him. I took one last moment to think.
Was this the last time I'd see Marvin? Was this the last time I'd be with my friends? What about Kinkajou? What about Turtle?
Moon! It's time! Marvin's urgent voice dragged me back.
O-okay. We're coming.
I flew as fast as I could, staying low to avoid getting spotted. I came over the bluff, and the ground lit up around me.
The great and horrible battlefield. Weapons were fired in both directions. A beam of light came from a single spot, drowning out all other sounds, sending sheets of light into the sky and out to sea. Qibli had already been here, a line of fire enveloped the left side of the camp. Scavengers, now illuminated by the fire all around them, scrambled throughout the buildings and out towards the places where they could stand without exposing themselves. Trenches, Marvin called them.
I flew around the camp, lining up on the right side. I felt the warmth begin to well up in my chest. I opened my mouth and breathed fire along the tree line. Startled soldiers looked up, panic in their thoughts, at the great wall of fire that appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I continued until I was exhausted, before banking up and away. I got to see how much had happened in such a short time.
I could see the friendly soldiers silhouetted as they approached the camp. A few of them dug up the earth with tools, shoveling it onto the walls of fire to douse them. Once they got a break big enough, they charged through.
Suddenly, three bright lights flew up from the camp. They hung in the sky for a few seconds before fading away. Then, the friendly position that spewed many more beams also stopped. A loud cry was heard, and Winter managed to douse some of the fire to let our soldiers in.
I banked around to the back end of the camp and saw the ship. Scavengers swarmed onto the ship with little bridges to help them on. They were scared, nearly all of them without weapons. I wondered for a second as I kept hovering.
Should I block these scavengers off? No, Marvin said they need to escape.
They're escaping? Where!
On a boat.
Okay, that's perfect. All according to plan.
A sickening plan. I flew over the camp again, but I saw no bodies. Well, there were some. But they were not anyone we knew. Still.
After a little while longer, the thunder ceased. I watched as the boat pulled away and swam out to sea, black clouds followed it.
Okay, Moon. Can you do one final sweep? See if there's anybody left.
I doubt it. They had plenty of time, and you were thorough enough.
I heard his mental laugh, but I flew over the camp anyways. A few of the border tents caught fire, but the big buildings made of logs and stone seemed to be unharmed. Once I was assured there were no more dangers, and the fires were contained, I landed close to Marvin. He and all eleven of his fellow humans were grouped around this one big building. It looked to be made of stone, but not cut stone bricks. It looked as if it was carved out of a single piece.
Concrete Moon. That's what this stuff is.
Oh.
Ah ha. Don't worry. You'll learn as you go.
I walked up to it. There was a big door, nearly as tall as me. But it was locked, and something told me I shouldn't try clawing at it.
"Easy Moon. This is an ammo dump. A Japanese ammo dump. This is where they store all their guns and ammunition. Very explosive. Don't breathe on it okay?"
I nodded to Qibli, who stood guard behind me. Winter stood closer to the entrance, his frost breath couldn't set anything off.
Marvin came back with a tool with long handles that led to a point. I looked on in confusion, but the soldiers thought he knew what he was doing. A loud clank, and Marvin grabbed something small in his claw and threw it back behind him.
"Now I could use your help, Moon."
I walked up tentatively. But I found a place where my talons could grip, easing the door open. Qibli did the same on the other side. Instantly, I was met with a loud droning noise, a noise I had heard before.
The hell?
Marvin thought. He was more confused than I was. He carefully made his way inside, along with his other soldiers. Winter tried to follow them, but Qibli halted him with a claw.
"Wait. Something seems wrong."
Something was wrong.
I couldn't hear Marvin's thoughts anymore.