Chapter 15: Revelation

Something about this camp didn't feel right from the outset. Sure, it was highly defensible, but it didn't feel like any old military camp. Even accounting for a possible convoy getting separated, there were way too many high-tech-looking devices.
For a country with the resources like Japan, and the full might of the United States now turned onto the islands in the pacific, this camp should be packing no more than what we carry on our backs. But here were well-built huts, houses, a command center... and a concrete ammo dump. Inferring from all the warnings posted around the doors, I assumed whatever was in here was extremely sensitive. Sensitive enough to keep a chain and lock on two reinforced doors. This wasn't so much to keep others out than it was to keep whatever this is in. With Moon and Qibli's help and a pair of bolt cutters, we got those doors open. Immediately I was met with a strange... drone. Buzzing noise? A hum? It's hard to describe, but whatever was in there was producing that noise.
The hell?
Pardon my thought, but that was the only proper response to this situation. Somehow, Goldman and Reed pushed on. For some reason, I looked towards McManis. He only shook his head.
I got a bad feeling about this.
I took a deep breath, I was not about to let my men possibly run into a den of Japs just waiting to ambush us. With a shiver, I stepped into the concrete structure. And just as quickly, the world went silent. Only the humming persisted.
I have never felt this much at peace before. Even my tinnitus succumbed to the absolute silence, the total peace of whatever this room held.
As much as I wanted to sit here for a long time and just... think, I had a job here. And it wasn't done.
Then again, it wouldn't be done for a while.
I half waited a second for Moon's cheerful and insightful response, but she didn't speak.
Moon? Do you copy?
I asked, now requesting her response. But there was nothing. Looking around, there were crates upon crates of something.
"Stay frosty."
Kish's words echoed around this dank industrial structure, nearly making me jump, it reverberated so much. Like he spoke right in my ear.
"Go silent."
"I don't fucking like this."
I whispered, and McManis whispered with more gusto. I just shivered and moved on. Inching slowly forwards, our path dimly lit with electric lights. I kept my rifle at the ready, this peace was getting unsettling.
Suddenly, I felt something well in my abdomen, spreading quickly to my chest.
"Hey, Lieutenant?" I heard Travers' voice echo behind me, but... he seemed so far away. He was right behind me. I keeled over as an intense migraine enveloped me.

Death.
Fire and death. My men... burning. Their screams.
"No." I reached out for them. I tried to grab Gosling's hand, but his skin tore away from him. Fire engulfed him as he screamed in horror.
"No!"
I saw the rest of my men, trying to reach the door, but everything was surrounded by the pits of hell.

"No!" I screamed, gaining a moment of lucidity. I stumbled backward, Travers managed to catch me.
"Lieutenant!"
The world was blurry, imagination meshed with reality. I couldn't tell what was up from down anymore. The visions came back, filling my world with pain.

I saw myself at the door of a big grey building, burning inside. My men, burning inside.
No. I can't let this happen!
But the vision persisted. Goldman burning, McManis burning, Gossling burning, many more I could not see.

"Lieutenant! Are you okay?"
I blinked fast, my entire body shaking.
"W... We have to get out of here." I stammered out.
"What?"
"What for?"
"He's going crazy again, I knew our leader was a coward!"
"Shut up Goldman!" McManis ordered.

The visions came back. The maneuver squad stood outside, but me and McManis were inside. The world was filled with red and heat. I felt my skin boil, peel into the flames. The screams were inaudible, but I could still hear them clearly in my mind.

"The Lieutenant! We can't go on like this." Travers held me.
"He's having a panic attack. It's fine. He's a coward and a lowlife, Mexican piece of shit." Goldman spat.
"No, we have to get out." My head throbbed, my spine was freezing in the arctic, my heart felt like it was being ripped out.
"Marvin, are you okay?" Kish approached.
"Why don't we leave? It's Marvin's order." Hastings asked.
"I ain't listening to a word that man says!"