Chapter 10: Jade Mountain

For the first time since I got back to Jade Mountain, I had a restful sleep. But I couldn't stop thinking about Marvin and his "squad." He was also a mind-reader. A scavenger, or "human," mind reader. How was that even possible? I mean, he wasn't a dragon. So many things turned in my head that I couldn't go back to sleep.
"Are you alright?" Qibli looked up from his bed, watching me worryingly.
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Thinking about the scavengers?" He shuffled a bit to face me.
"Yeah. Marvin said they call themselves 'humans' now."
"Huh. Hu-man. It sounds scientific."
I chuckled, "Yeah, it does."
He laughed softly, so as not to wake Kinkajou.
"What are you thinking we should do with them?" He asked.
"I don't know. I mean, we can't just let them stay there. Not with a prophecy."
"Yeah, but they also didn't want to come to Jade Mountain."
"Well, he didn't say that exactly. Marvin said he'd have an answer in the morning."
"So he's thinking about it." Qibli rested himself back into his bed with a long sigh. "I can't imagine what it's like to be here like this, for them I mean."
"From what I saw in his dreams and thoughts, he's never seen us before. He's in an entirely new place."
"You saw his dreams? Tell me what they were like?"
I shuddered, the terrible feeling of killing, wars. I didn't want to relive it.
I think Qibli noticed, he said softly. "If you don't want to tell me, that's fine-"
"No," I said quickly. "It's just that... it's where he comes from. There's a war going on... between scavenger nations."
Qibli sat quietly, watching me with open eyes. I continued. "They're killing each other. Men, women, children. They're all dying. And the technology, what it's being used for." The thoughts I got from him replayed in my mind. I sunk further and further into the sorrow and despair of what Marvin was forced to go through.
"Moon, stop. Listen to me." Qibli walked up and interlaced his claws with mine. I grabbed hold of his calm voice and warm claws, letting it drag me away from this evil.
"I know Marvin came from a place with wars. If they were like the war of the SandWing Succession, then it's terrible."
"No. It's something much worse than that." Tears flooded me eyes.
Camps. Camps of people held prisoners. They were skinny, like they hadn't eaten for weeks. I could count the bones through their tight pale skin. They looked like they were stretched unnaturally, forced through that pain.
"Moon. It's okay. You're okay."
I brushed a tear away, trying to regain control.
"You're okay Moon. You're okay."
He was laying next to me, covering me with his wing. His warmth helped to comfort me. When I finally stopped crying, I looked back at him.
"He's going to be okay Moonwatcher. We all are. If what I think is right, he looks like he doesn't want to bring that war to us. He'll do everything he can to make sure it doesn't involve us."
I sniffed. "Yeah. That's what he thinks. He doesn't want to fight a war. He only wants to protect..."
"Protect who?"
Then my eyes widened. "He... he's willing to protect us."
Qibli smiled and nodded. He laid his head next to mine, before falling asleep. With his warmth and calm breathing, and the truth he revealed, I knew I could trust Marvin. And somewhere deep down, I knew he trusted me. I listened to the quiet sounds of the students in the school. Listening to their thoughts and dreams, before finally falling asleep myself. Finally at peace.

Early the next morning, I was awoken by someone jumping on my tail and on me. I turned to see Kinkajou, happy and bright as ever.
"We get to go back and see Marvin! I hope we can bring him back and show him around Jade Mountain! What do you think Qibli?"
"I think Marvin will come if you ask nicely and not jump on him." The SandWing stretched and yawned.
"Oh sorry." She stepped down, but she couldn't contain her excitement.
"Come on Moon! Let's go see how they are doing!" She tugged at my tail.
"Alright, alright. I'm up." Sweeping my tail away from her.
We woke up Turtle and Winter and left as a group to the little bay and to our new friends. When we arrived, we noticed a small clearing nearby. Marvin was there, waving a white cloth. We spotted him quickly amidst the dark green of trees and brown dirt.
"Over here, Moon!" He shouted.
I landed in front of him, while my friends landed around the clearing.
He walked up to us. "It's great to see you guys again." He smiled, looking us over.
"It's great to see you too Marvin!" Kinkajou happily ran up to him, almost knocking him over.
Winter grumbled, "Thanks for waking us up so early."
I saw Marvin smile and wink at the small RainWing. "Come. We're having a meeting right now, and I think you're gonna want to join in."
We followed the scavenger, er human, back to his camp. There were his soldiers, milling around a table that looked to have been made by a bit from the crashed machine by the beach
"Hey, I didn't know our friends were back." One soldier exclaimed.
"Maybe they could share some insight."
"I don't think they should be allowed to sit in for this."
"Why not Goldman?" I could feel the pang of aggitation from Marvin. "We have Gossing here, and Jimmy. Why do you think we shouldn't have our powerful friends here?"
Goldman grumbled. Maybe it's because I don't know if they're still the enemy.
"Nonsense Goldman, we're all friends here." Marvin looked around.
The soldier seemed to recoil in surprise at his statement.
Woah. It's like he read my mind. No, he was just talking about making friends. He doesn't have freaky superpowers. He only just predicted the crashing of the plane, but that could've been a panic attack. My squad leader's a coward.
Marvin looked hurt by his thoughts but continued nonetheless.
"Okay. So this is a map of our operational area. It's not as exact as we'd like it to be, nor is it comprehensive, but considering we don't have a cartographer, you're just gonna have to deal with McManis' drawing skills."
A bunch of laughs followed his statement.
"Moon, I wonder what they're talking about?" Qibli whispered to me.
"They're talking about a map of their area." I said hushly back to him.
"A map? I wonder if I could help?"
Marvin looked up at Qibli.
"Wait. Can you get us a map?" He asked.
"Sure! There's a big one at Jade Mountain." He happily stated.
"And there's scrolls and smaller ones in the library too!" Kinkajou inputted.
"Well that segues nicely to our next topic: Should we, or should we not," he looked around his squad, "head up to a location called Jade Mountain? Intel suggests that it's a public school for dragons of many different types. It's a large location that's a fair ways away. It's only feasible if we let our friends fly us there. We don't know whether to commit men and resources to this potentially dangerous but politically advantageous front or to continue to strike it out as is. Kish, do you have an inventory for me?"
Turtle walked up to us. "What are they talking about?" He whispered.
"They're discussing whether or not to go to Jade Mountain. But they don't want to split up again."
"So why don't we just take them all?" Kinkajou asked.
Qibli shook his head. "Do you see all the stuff they have? We don't have any way to carry all that back, if we can even fly with it all. And besides, some dragons still think Scavengers are food."
"Yeah, that might be a problem." Turtle also said.
I managed to overhear some of Kish's report.
"We still have full combat loads. About five days' worth of food. One day's worth of water."
"Yikes. So we need to find a way of getting water, and fast."
"There's a lake at Jade Mountain." I blurted out.
Marvin turned towards me.
"Water you say?"
Kish leaned over to him, speaking softly, but I read his thoughts.
We need that water. Even if we put ourselves in a dangerous situation, Lieutenant.
Marvin sighed, making sounds with his lips for a moment.
"Very well. We're going to Jade mountain. At least to refill our canteens, and possibly get resources and intel on the surrounding area. If I could have Travers and McManis with me."
"Sir."
Two of them picked up their guns, moving to Marvin's side of the table
Actually. Bringing rifles is a bad idea. We don't want another Winter incident, plus we're not here to search and destroy anymore. "Leave your rifles."
"But..." "Lieutenant-"
"I know." Marvin sighed. "Just, trust me. Kish, give McManis your piece, I'll give Travers mine."
They took off these small bands around their waists. Throwing them to their friends.
"You aren't taking a weapon yourself, Marvin?"
No, it'll probably be safer. "No, I won't. I'll be fine Towne. You and Kish just make sure the camp doesn't get totally destroyed before we get back."
"Yes sir."
A nervous chuckle. Their minds were swirling. They were fearful, probably of other dragons stumbling upon their camp. What would they do? And what about Marvin and his team? What would happen if they got into trouble?
Nah. Marvin will send up a flare. We'd just have to lug it for a few days.
He's pretty good at finding good solutions to problems.
He'll probably sacrifice himself to let those two go in all honesty. He's one of those officers. Even I can respect that.
"Alrighty then." Marvin turned towards me. "So. How 'you want to do this?"
"I can carry him! Just like last time!" Kinkajou said happily.
I saw Marvin's mind flashback to when he rode on her, not the most positive of thoughts.
"Why doesn't Marvin ride with you Moon, while... Qibli takes one and I'll take the other." Winter suggested.
"Awww! But I wanted one to ride with me!" Kinkajou sulked.
I saw Marvin whisper to one of his soldiers.
"Travers, do you think you can ride with the kid? She might not get to carry us, and she's heartbroken about that."
The human sighed. "Alright. Whatever you say, Marvin."
Travers walked up to Kinkajou and put his hand on her, she was elated.
"See! He wants to ride with me! He chose me! I'll make sure he gets the best flight EVER!"
I heard Marvin chuckle. Travers mumbled something, but Marvin translated it in his mind.
The things I do for you officer.
"Great. Everyone climb on."
Qibli grabbed the other one, surprising him and bringing him up to his neck.
"Woah." He squeaked
I laid down, Marvin tickled me as he tried to climb my scales. Eventually, he found a place where he could grip and hold on.
"Um, Marvin?"
"Yes, McManis?"
"How exactly are we supposed to not fall off again?"
"I don't know. Just grab a hold and hang on for dear life." It's worked for me so far.
Great. I heard the two mumble.
"Alright, we're ready." Marvin patted me. "You have the honor, Moon."
I spread my wings, raising them, before forcing them to the ground. A wave of nervousness and excitement seemed to come over me.
"Whooooo!" My scavenger yelled as we climbed.
Eventually, I leveled off, turning towards Jade Mountain. We still had a little bit more flying to do, so the soldiers struck up a conversation.
"You know, Lieutenant. If I had known it was going to be this cold, I would've brought my good coat."
"Tell me about it. It's frickin freezing up here!"
"Hey, maybe we should get Peril. She'd stop you from freezing." Qibli commented.
"No, she'll roast you guys." Winter shot him down with a glare.
A few visions passed back and forth, ideas of what that would look like.
"Anyhow. So you've all been introduced, right?" Marvin tried to say lightheartedly, even though he was freezing himself.
I sensed they were all nodding in some way.
"Great. So why don't we start with backgrounds? I'm a member of the 101st airborne division. I've flown about 30 missions since I joined in 1941. And I want to be a scientist when I get back."
A bit of silence for a minute.
"I'm Travers. I've been with the Airborne since I remember. I've served with the 82nd and 101st. And I just want to get home and see my family."
Marvin translated it for us.
"Your turn McManis."
McManis seemed to turn away on Qibli.
"Why isn't he talking?" Kinkajou asked.
"I think I might know a way to get him to start talking."
Qibli flipped over, diving toward the ground.
"Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-" which faded to a shrill squeak as he left us. Both Marvin and Travers were looking down at the sight, then at each other. Fear eclipsed both of them.
"Please don't do that to us, Moon," Marvin whispered to me, hanging on a little bit tighter.
"No. Of course not. I would never."
I felt a wave of relief.
Eventually, Qibli caught up to us again. Leveling off next to me. His human was pressed tightly against his neck.
"Feel like talking McManis now?" He's breathing heavily like he doesn't know what the hell just happened. "McManis?"
"I-I-I... damn you, Jerez." He stuttered out. "I'm... McManis... I've been with the Airborne as long as Marvin. Fewer missions though, cause I kept staying back down there. I-I-I... was a schoolteacher back in Missouri."
"You... McManis... a schoolteacher?" Travers exclaimed.
"Well, I'll be," Marvin chuckled.
"We're here now."
The mountain school came into view once again. The sight was familiar to me, but I saw Marvin and his soldiers try and look over at the caves. We landed carefully at the entrance, Marvin sliding off and bending his legs to break the fall. I watched him worryingly as he got back up. He looked in pain.
Are you okay? I thought. He didn't turn around.
"Yeah. I'm fine."
I still couldn't get over the fact that we could communicate through our minds. But my thoughts were cut short when I heard a mental yell.
Scavengers!
Followed by a huge commotion coming toward us. Marvin felt the rumbling as if he realized an earthquake was coming.
"Hurry, get under us!"
The soldiers obliged, hiding from sight behind our legs.
Don't come out until we tell you to. Some of these dragons still think scavengers, er humans, are food.
Okay, I'll tell my guys.
I sensed Marvin making some claw gestures, the other two minds nodded in agreement. I braced for the tsunami of minds to crash down on me. Dragonettes appeared at the cave mouth, spurred on by the word of scavengers and new dragons.
Scavengers? Here?
Scavengers? I've never seen one before.
I love scavengers, they taste a bit like chicken.
Who are these dragons? Oh wait, I remember them now.
Dragonets of all different colors and tribes swarmed around us.
"Easy McManis. Don't spook 'em. Stay hidden."
I made out Marvin's words over the chaos. Qibli inched forward slowly.
"Is Starflight in?"
"Yeah, he should still be in the library." He asked Fatespeaker coming up, confused.
"Great. Moon, let's go."
"Okay." We walked slowly and carefully. I felt Marvin grabbing onto my legs, but it tickled badly as he kept slipping.
At this rate, we'll never get there without being seen.
Well, being seen was kind of in the plan.
I thought you said we'd get eaten.
I'll keep you safe.
I heard a mental sigh. I trust you, Moon.
I felt Marvin let himself down. Almost instantly, I heard a yell.
"Scavenger!"
Instantly the crowd surged again.
Three scavengers! How'd they get here?
They don't look like normal scavengers.
What are they wearing, it looks like nothing I've read about in scrolls.
I wonder how these taste like.
I felt a surge of nervousness.
I don't know about this Moon. They're getting pretty close. He paused for a second, thinking about what he could do to improve. Should I try and tell them off?
No, that would make them even more curious of you. And would lead to a lot of trouble.
Perfect, that's exactly what we want here, surrounded by dragons, more trouble. He said that with a vile sarcasm that shocked me for a moment.
I didn't realize Turtle had managed to sneak away, he returned with Tsunami at the entrance to the cave. She flared her wings, announcing loudly.
"EVERYONE! CALM DOWN! These dragons and their pets are under our care. Don't ANYONE so much as snap at them, or they'll be kicked out of school!"
Sunny appeared next to her, beckoning to us with her claws.
"Over here. Hurry!"
Get on. We're going.
Marvin made another gesture and held on tightly. I quickly followed Sunny down the corridors. We turned into the library. There, Clay was standing in the middle of the room. Another RainWing, colored in grey but hints of vibrant green shone on her scales. Starflight was still hiding behind his librarian desk, but his head popped up to listen.
The former Dragonets Of Destiny and the founders of Jade Mountain Academy gathered around us. Tsunami asked, annoyance in her voice.
"So tell me why I needed to break up that crowd for you." Tsunami grumbled, folding her wings.
"Yeah, are you okay Moon? Qibli? Kinkajou, it's so great to see you again!" Sunny asked worryingly, drifting back into happiness.
"I'm okay." I softly responded.
"So what was all that about?" She's hiding something. Last time she did that, dragons got killed. This must be important. Sunny asked, concerned.
"I um... found a scavenger den."
"Scavenger den? A new one?" Starflight popped out again, making his way to us. "Where? In the desert? The rainforest?"
"By the beach, in the forest. Below Jade Mountain to the south."
"The beach? Why would they be there? There's hardly anything there." I heard Starflight's mind turn.
"So why don't you begin by showing them to us." Tsunami said.
I felt Marvin looking around, I felt a sense of hesitation emanate from him.
Are you sure about this? We're alone.
It's okay. They're friendly. They won't hurt you. I reassured him.
I felt Marvin's grip loosen, a soft thud as he jumped down. He carefully walked around me into view of the others.
"Wow!"
"These Scavengers don't look like any we've seen before."
"Wait a minute." Glory said walking up. "This was the same one that we found in the Rainforest."
"Yeah, I kind of got chased and captured." Marvin stated.
They all took a step back in surprise. Clay was the first to speak.
"Did that scavenger just... talk?"
"Yeah, I can talk alright. Same as you. Same as anybody, right?"
"Wow!" Sunny exclaimed.
"I know! Amazing right?" Kinkajou and Sunny bounded at each other, bouncing their excitement off of each other.
"Did you say talking scavengers?" Starflight appeared behind Tsunami.
"Glory. You knew about this?" Tsunami looked to Glory.
"Yeah, I just got back. I haven't gotten to tell any of you yet, get off my tail."
Sunny lowered herself and looked right at Marvin. I heard a small click. The other two soldiers moved up towards him.
"That's close enough." McManis squeaked. Holding a smaller gun.
"Who are these?"
"Easy McManis. She's no threat." Marvin put out his arm, turning back to the curious dragon. "Sorry, my men are a little on edge."
You say. McManis grumbled as he put his weapon away.
Besides. I don't think a pistol will do anything against a dragon. "So I was told this is where I could find information and resources."
"That we have plenty of," Starflight commented quickly. "You can find anything you need in the library. Just... tell me what you're looking for."
"Great, Starflight is it? I could start with a map of the area."
"We have a map right here."
"Oh, perfect."
Starflight walked away with Marvin running close behind. But because he left, I couldn't understand what the other scavengers were saying. I could still feel their emotions. They were eyeing the entrance. McManis already had a map to the exit and watched the rest of us nervously, while Travers watched Marvin and Starflight.
"Moon?" I was startled by Kinkajou's voice.
"Hey, Kinkajou."
"What... what do you see in them? I know that Marvin's acting all friendly and everything, but the other two, are they dangerous?"
I looked over and met eyes with McManis. It was as if he was eyeing me, like I was the most dangerous dragon here. Although I would give that title to Tsunami.
"They're... dangerous, yes. But they won't hurt us, as long as we don't hurt Marvin or the rest of them."
"Hurt as in how?"
McManis kept staring at me, like he was trying to figure out what I was saying.
"Injuring them. Scaring them. Doing anything we wouldn't want done to us."
"Like being put in a prison." Sunny commented.
"Well, Marvin was put in a prison, and he seemed okay." Glory remarked.
"I think that was because Moon told him we were coming to get him out," Qibli noted.
"We should test that idea. I think there's an empty spot in the Prey Center, we can lock him up there." Tsunami joked but not really joked. Let him know how it feels to be shackled for real.
"Tsunami, don't."
She turned surprised, but then her face contorted back to her perpetual anger. The dragonettes turned towards me, I shrunk at the sudden attention. Thoughts from dragons looking into the cave began to seep into my mind.
The scavenger's in there.
Why are the founders in there with those dragonettes?
It must be something important if we can't go inside.
As If a voice had reached out to save me, I heard Marvin's calm voice with a hint of concern.
"Is everyone okay?"
I looked up to see him standing in front of me, looking concerned. He had scrolls almost as tall as he was leaning on him, as well as a small bag filled with objects.
"Moon. You okay?"
I felt his warm touch, his open but soothing mind.
I'm fine. Just... a little overwhelmed.
I understand. "So I heard you guys have water supplies as well? We're in desperate need of water immediately. And thanks for the supplies for a still Starflight."
"Anytime. There's an underground pool just down that cave." He pointed towards one of the empty caves. "It should be safe to drink."
"Thank you guys again. I don't know how we could repay you." Outside of posting up here. But that brings up a can of worms on its own.
"Moon. You know where it is?" Starflight looked to me.
I remember when I was at that pool. It was after I told my friends that I was a prophet and a mind reader, after the explosion in the history cave.
Oh, Carnelian. "Y-Yeah. I know where it is. I'll take him."
"Okay. McManis and Travers, organize any supplies you need. We'll head back out as soon as we get the water."
"Yes sir."
"Yes sir."
And with that, I found Marvin climbing onto me once more.
"Set."
I nodded, walking down the dimly lit corridor.