Nightmares

"STOP IT!!"

"The more the two of you fight back, the worse your punishment will be."

"NOAH!!!"

"D-don't cry y/n... I'll protect you..."

You wake with a start, drenched in cold sweat and tears leaking from your eyes, which you quickly wipe away as the storm howls outside your bedroom window.

You had went to bed after the movie, leaving Bakugou to sleep on the sofa in the living room.

I need water...

You slowly slide your legs off of your small bed and onto the floor, flinching slightly as your feet made contact with the cold floorboards. Taking a deep breath, you stand and make your way to the kitchen as quietly as possible, not wanting to wake the ticking time bomb asleep on the couch.

As you take a glass from an upper cupboard and fill it with water, you hear a rustling coming from the living room. Quietly setting the glass down, you make your way around the peninsula counter to see what was making the noise.

Bakugou was twisting and turning in his sleep, jaw tense as he subconsciously tried to push himself further into the sofa's cushions as if to get away from something.

You stay there for a few moments unsure of what to do, and listen to the small whimpers of fear that escape him.

His movements soon become more and more desperate, his whimpers turning into small cries.

The thought of leaving him to suffer was too cruel.

You hurry to the couch and kneel beside him, then place your hands on his shoulder and shake it firmly. The physical touch made Bakugou flinch, but not a second later his eyes were wide open.

He was on top of you before you could so much as blink, one hand around your throat and the other shooting sparks as he held it level with his head, ready to attack.

He froze there gasping for air, kneeling on top of you as you laid on the living room floor, pushing at the hand on your throat but not wanting to use your quirk for fear of hurting him.

"Y-y/n...?"

As Bakugou recognizes you, his grip on your throat loosens immediately and his hand falls to his side as you cough under him.

"I-i'm-... I didn't m-mean to..." The hand on your throat reached up to grasp his own head as Bakugou slumped down, most of his weight on his knees as a few bristles of blond hair brush across the tip of your nose.

Only a few inches away, you hear his ragged breathing, almost exactly like yours after an especially bad nightmare.

Before you know what you're doing, you gingerly place an unsure hand on Bakugou's head, pulling it down slightly to rest on your shoulder. Surprisingly, Bakugou doesn't resist, and stays still when you begin braiding your fingers through his hair calmingly.

It was sort of strange.

You felt his panicked breath on your shoulder, his hair between your fingers soft as silk, and his body heat only inches away gently warming you.

It was hard to believe that Bakugou, of all people, could be so vulnerable.

But even more surprising was when a few moments later, you feel Bakugou move his head slightly to the left. Now his head was resting in the crook of your neck, and his breathe tickled your bare skin while he slowly breathed in and out to calm down.

He smells sweet, like caramel...

After a few minutes like that, Bakugou lifts himself away from you, as lightning flashes and momentarily illuminates the room through the balcony door behind him. His face is only a few inches away, and even in the semi-darkness you're quick to notice the red under his eyes and his trembling lip.

What did he dream about...?

"Did I-... h-hurt you?" Bakugou's voice was quiet and shaking, especially gravelly after just waking up.

"No, you didn't." You hear the small breath of relief from Bakugou, as he sets a hand on the floor next to your head and uses it to push himself to the side, ending up lying on the floor beside you.

Neither of you talk for a while, merely staying in a comfortable silence, the feeling of relief that there is someone beside you easing both your worries.

Bakugou's POV

After around 5 minutes of silence, Bakugou breaks the quiet with a small whisper.

"Y/n... can I ask you something?"

"Mmmm..." Y/n's hum of affirmation was soft, and Bakugou was glad it was dark, because a small smile crept onto his face.

She's falling asleep...

He took a breath of apprehension before speaking, hoping to get some answers.

"What're you hiding...?"

Silence.

Bakugou continues quietly, hoping he wasn't being too intrusive.

"You don't have to answer, and we're not really close... I get that but..." Bakugou bites his lip slightly, letting the next few words escape his mouth before he can stop them.

"You seem... lonely. And I want to help you, if I can..."

After a few moments of silence, Bakugou looks over to you, laughing slightly as he does.

She fell asleep.

Slowly and silently so as not to wake you up, Bakugou rises to his feet, gently picking you up from the living room floor.

So light, does she not eat?

Bakugou carries you to your room, unwilling to leave you on the floor but praying you won't wake up to see his embarrassing act of kindness.

Bakugou lays you on the bed tenderly, his warm hand resting your head on the pillow as the other pulls the blanket up.

Idiot... why won't you open up?

Your POV

After Bakugou has left your bedroom and shut the door, you open your eyes slowly, still feeling the heat of his body as he carried you...

"What're you hiding?"

You smile bitterly to yourself, ignoring the small wave of guilt you feel over pretending to be asleep to escape the question.

If you knew what I was hiding... there's no way in hell you'd still want to help me.