9➟ In which I become the emotionless husk of a once happy human.

I think Hawks was scared of me leaving because he didn't let go of my wrist. Either that or he was so excited for grilled food he didn't notice that he hadn't let go.

The aroma of freshly cooked food was the first thing to hit me, never before in my life had I smelt something that mouth-watering. It was a solid change from the usual smell of microwaveable frozen food.

As if hearing my thoughts, Hawks spoke up, "Smell that [N/N]? That's the smell of pure happiness."

One thing I remember vividly about this man was that he was a human vacuum. This, of course, explained his affinity for practically every type of food to ever exist- including, and not limited to, meat and ironically, trail mix. If there was something to eat, he would eat it.

That's how it was back at the HSPC. Our supervisors had no worries of wasted food, especially when it came to hard training days- he'd practically eat the plate.

"I'll hand it to you, this place doesn't look bad," I replied, following him to a booth in the corner.

"Doesn't look bad?" He scoffed, "look at this place, it's heaven on earth."

I laughed, "yeah, but you would say that."

He raised an eyebrow, grabbing the single menu on the table before I even had a chance. He glanced over the menu and handed it to me in a matter of seconds, "alright then [N/N], what's heaven to you then?"

"To me?" I asked, looking over the menu and picked out something that caught my attention. I shrugged, "no clue."

He rolled his eyes, tapping a finger against the table, "oh come on, there must be something."

"I really can't think of anything," I shook my head.

"Maybe you just haven't found it yet."

I looked at him, there was nothing deceiving in his eyes, no hint of trickery; he was genuinely curious.

"Maybe I haven't," I said simply, "I'll tell you when I work it out."

Hawks smiled, "I'm holding you to that."

He said it with such confidence that there was no doubt in my mind that he wasn't lying. It made me smile.

"Welcome! Do you two know what you want to order?" The waiter pulled us out of the conversation, we both ordered and he left us to ourselves once more.

"I'm surprised the guy didn't freak out when he saw you," I noted, recalling the waiters cool demeanour when he had come over.

Hawks shook his head, "you think everyone know who I am?"

I huffed, "doesn't everyone?"

"Who do you think I am? The number one Hero?"

"Of course not."

"Exactly, I've-" he stopped, "wait what do you mean 'of course not'?"

"Well you're not are you?"

"I mean you're not wrong but you could be a bit more supportive," he pouted but soon stopped, returning back to his point, "I've only been an 'official' hero for 2 years, Endeavour didn't become the number 2 hero in 2 years, it takes time and hard work to get recognition."

"Wow..." I nodded slowly, "... You should become a motivational speaker."

"I do that on Wednesdays."

I smiled, "Oh? What about Thursdays?"

"Fulltime sex symbol."

My mouth fell open, "You flatter yourself."