12➟ In which a government professional gives me the silent treatment.

Someone had to be pressing the buttons on either end of the elevator because I was in there for what felt like an hour before I was finally escorted out.

More harsh white lights lined the corridor, more off-white linoleum tiles echoed the footfalls of both myself, the president and the three bodyguards who stood around me.

I couldn't take the silence anymore, there was no way it wasn't deliberate. They knew how to set me on edge and they'd done it perfectly.

"I hope you're providing food when we get to your office, I've probably burned a shit-ton of calories just following you around the building."

Silence.

Yet again. More. Silence.

"Sore throat?" I started, "I heard lemon and honey works wonders."

Come on.

Say something

Say anything.

At least do something.

Nod your head. Shake your head. Turn around and give me some kind of disapproving look.

Do. Something.

"Did you bring me here to ignore me?"

Silence.

Nothing but silence.

Just, "Say something!" I snapped, stopping in my tracks and rooting my feet to the spot, the man behind me stopping just in time, "Shit, you're really starting to piss me off you know Ms President." I glared at the back of her head.

She hadn't stopped walking, instead, she carried on until she reached a large white door, pushing it open and stepping inside.

The men were still beside me- and yet they didn't force me to go forward. Like lifeless manakins, they just stood there, as if entering that room was my decision and my decision only. Like they were giving me that choice- and yet, I knew I had no say in whether I enter that room or not.

I was playing their game, my counter was on the board and exercising any kind of free will was against their rules.

The door was surprisingly light under my hand as I pushed it open, my eyes falling on the same woman who had brought me here.

She stood behind her desk, completely ignoring the chair beside her; as if sitting down would throw away her position of power. She gestured to the chair in front of her desk and I sat, ignoring the voice in my head telling me to just turn around and leave because I knew I couldn't.

The leather chair was stiff and cold under me, helping to increase the discomfort I felt.

"I trust you've had a good break." She was just as formal in her speech as she was in her appearance.

Break?

That's what she decided to call it?

It was my turn to stay quiet this time, in all honesty, it was a feeble attempt to turn the tables- but it was the best idea I had.

She shook her head, her actions reflecting that of someone whose precious time was being wasted, like she wasn't the one who brought me here, "It's rude to steal from others."

"It's rude to interrupt someone's day," I glared back at her, crossing my arms over my chest in both a bored manner and a defensive one. Somehow even more aware of my weak position. In no way did I want her to hold any power over me and yet that's exactly what she did. Exactly what she was able to do.