39➟ In which we work an extremely high-stakes mission.

"So I charm her?" Hawks smirked cockily, knowing I could do nothing about it since we needed him. I did not like needing Hawks.

"I thought you'd told me you're a full-time sex symbol," I sighed, walking beside him, "just do what you do best." We'd made the decision to walk through the back alleys of the city, in hopes that Hawks wouldn't gather a crowd as we made our way to the Clover Agency.

He shook his head, "No, I told you I'm a full-time sex symbol on Thursdays."

"Oh no!" I began sarcastically, "It's Friday! I guess we'll have to live without your sheer sexiness today," I pouted, "I was really looking forward to it."

"You were really looking forward to me?" He teased, nudging me in the side and quickly moving out of the way when I went to elbow him back.

"Can you two stop flirting we're nearly there," Rin rolled his eyes, walking out in front of us with his arms crossed over his chest-- like he was the sole adult here.

"Him?" I pointed a thumb at Hawks and laughed, slightly too hysterically, "Rin, I thought you knew me-- him?"

"She's like a 5, psychic boy," Hawks spluttered, "Her! Come on, really?"

I stopped, staring at Hawks with my mouth agape, "A 5? Are you kidding me?"

"What, you want me to say you're a 10? Bit cocky that."

"Says the self-proclaimed sex symbol," I bit back.

"We've been through this! Only. On. Wednesdays."

I groaned, "Well boo hoo. Now get into that building and distract Brenda before we send you back to the Comission."

"What happened to: 'we need you Hawks! come be our hero'? Huh?"

"Inside. Now," I pointed at the horrifically large four-leafed clover sign that hung above the golden sliding doors of the Clover Agency building and revealed itself just as we were about to turn the corner. Hawks sighed, turning to walk ahead of us and into said building before turning on his heel and ruffling my hair, "Wha--?"

"Remember to say thank you later," He teased, pushing off the ground and flying up and through the doors.

I turned to Rin, "Just reminding you that that, is your favourite hero."

He watched as the doors closed behind Hawks, "Never meet your heroes." He shook his head and I laughed as the two of us made our own way into our work building.

Just as Rin had predicted, Brenda was all over Hawks. We walked through the doors and into the giant walkway where, right in the middle of the floor, she was practically gripping onto Hawks' arm, her knuckles white with the force. She took no note of us as we walked past her and Hawks was too enamoured with the sheer amount of attention he was receiving that he didn't pay any attention to us either.

"Told you," Rin's smug voice sounded in my head.

"Hey, I never doubted you," I replied, walking just that bit faster toward the front desk.

I took my place in front of the desk, Rin, being the shortest out of the two of us, went behind the counter, searching for any kind of notepad or key Brenda had stuck somewhere to decipher the code. I let him do his thing whilst I watched Hawks from where I stood, looking out for any kind of signal that their conversation was over so that Rin could get out from behind the desk without causing any kind of suspicion.

"Anything?" I queried.

"Nothing yet, just poems."

"Poems?" I repeated, "About what?"

"Clover, Hawks, you know, typical Brenda."

"I don't actually know typical Brenda, but thanks for filling me in."

"Hey, you asked."

"Yeah, I did, didn't I."

My thoughts trailed off before I remembered what we were actually doing. I tapped my fingers against the green marble of the counter, continuing to watch the conversation a few meters ahead of me. They both looked like they were having a great time, it was weird to think that a guy famed for his flirtatious attitude wanted to settle down and marry, but I guess that's what love does to people. Completely changes your mentality. Hawks lifted his arm, flexing his muscles and gesturing for Brenda to feel the muscles for herself, and she did, focusing on the lower area of his biceps, apparently, that's what Brenda was into. Good for her.

And just like that, a thought came to my mind, "Rin, check the bottom of the drawers."

"The bottom?"

"Yeah, feel if she's stuck something under there." Hiding 101, people don't look under things enough.

Brenda had done something to make Hawks laugh, it didn't look like a fake laugh either. I wondered what she had said, was it something genuinely funny? Or was Hawks genuinely laughing because he liked spending time with her, even if it were just for a short mission? I for sure had never made him laugh like that. I stopped, why was I analysing his movement like I was some crazy obsessive girlfriend? They were just laughing.

"Oh my god, I found it!"  Rin announced, jumping up from behind the counter and grabbing my hand, "Come on let's go up. The sooner we finish today, the sooner we can go home and decipher this code."

I looked away from the two and looked down at Rin, "Yeah, come on kiddo. Let's shred some stuff."

---

The phone rang four times before someone picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Mrs President?" I asked, hoping Hawks had given me the right number.

"Yes, this is Ephialtes I presume."

"Yes," I confirmed, "I just wanted to let you know that we were able to decode the writings on the documents we found. They all link in with the recent murders and missing people reports in the area."

"And you have proof that links this to the Librarian and Clover?"

"Clover's signatures are all over it," I replied, "And all the documents were only available for him and a select few persons to see."

"And the Librarian?"

"That's less concrete, but if we can decipher the latest code before the plans are carried out, we can link the Librarian directly to the crime-- as long as he or one of his affiliates are there."

There was a moment of silence.

"Congratulations Ephialtes, I think this mission may be over far sooner than any of us expected."

Then she hung up.