• chapter forty four (3)

"Shocking business... shocking... miracle none of them died... never heard the like... by thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape..."

"Thank you, Minister."

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say. First Class, if I can wangle it!"

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister."

"Nasty cut you've got there... Black's work, I suppose?"

"As a matter of fact, it was your precious addelaines"

"No!"

"Black had bewitched her, I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charm, to judge by hers and her friends behaviours. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions. On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape... They obviously thought they were going to catch Black single-handed. They've got away with a great deal before now... I'm afraid it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves... and of course Potter and addelaine has always been allowed an extraordinary amount of license by the headmaster --"

"Ah, well, Snape... Harry Potter, you know... we've all got a bit of a blind spot where he's concerned and you know our addy, always a darling, although she does have a temper on her doesn't she? wouldn't want to upset that one, we don't know the full extent of her powers yet, don't want to make her upset, no"

"And yet -- is it good for them to be given so much special treatment? Personally, I try and treat them like any other student. And any other student would be suspended -- at the very least -- for leading their friends into such danger. Consider, Minister -- against all school rules -- after all the precautions put in place for his protection -- out-of-bounds, at night, consorting with a werewolf and a murderer -- and I have reason to believe he has been visiting Hogsmeade illegally too --"

"Well, well... we shall see, Snape, we shall see... The boy has undoubtedly been foolish... and addy well, addy proberly knew what she was doing and knew it was wrong"

"yet she decided to do it anyway"

"well, addy is abit of a stubborn girl, you know, she's proberly already learned her lesson, wouldn't won't to make her anymore mad"

addy lay listening with her eyes tight shut on the side of the bed. her fingers were tracing the her new scars on her shoulder which in her opinion look pretty badass, her leg, after her seer blood kicked in, was now healed up and back to normal but she'd experience cramps in it once and again whereas ron, who still believes his arm is worse, had taken his potion and was now sleeping

"What amazes me most is the behavior of the Dementors... you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister... by the time I had come 'round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances...."

"Extraordinary. And yet Black, and addelaine and Harry, and the girl --"

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all straight back to the castle."

suddenly harry opened his eyes, addy turned and saw him and pressed a slim finger to her mouth telling him to 'shut the fuck up'. he nodded and continued to listen in

At the very end of the ward, he could make out Madam Pomfrey with her back to him, bending over a bed. Harry squinted. Ron's red hair was visible beneath Madam Pomfrey's arm.

Harry moved his head over on the pillow. In the bed to his right lay Hermione. Moonlight was falling across her bed. Her eyes were open too. She looked petrified, and when she saw that Harry was awake, pressed a finger to her lips aswell, then pointed to the hospital wing door. It was ajar, and the voices of Cornelius Fudge and Snape were coming through it from the corridor outside.